Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MQ: To the River

GP

Name
    Romis Heartsblood
    Race
    dragon

MQ: To the River

Romis looked up and down the broad river he and his small ‘army’ faced. The bridge he sought was directly in front of them. According to the map he’d been shown earlier, there were two more bridges, one on each side of this bridge. However, they were out of sight from this location. The territory did not look like it would help them very much in defense of this bridge. Having the water at their backs was a distinct disadvantage; they had no where to go aside from crossing the bridge. Open space surrounded them on three sides. Beckoning to the officers that had been sent with him, he drew them aside. He needed their advice. They knew their land far better than he did.

“All right, this is the main bridge General Fingolfin said he needed defended. We have two other bridges that we are to defend, if it’s possible. I want to send a few scouts out to find the enemy. We know they are coming, but I want to know how long I have before they get here. In the meantime, we need to set up our defense. I don’t want to have to destroy any of these bridges if we don’t have to, but I will. My question for you, gentlemen, is this: is it feasible to split our forces into three and send one group to each of the other two bridges?”

Romis looked from one to another, waiting patiently for their answer. While they pondered, he gave orders for three scouts to head out. He made it clear that they were not to engage the enemy. All he wanted to know was how fast they were moving and how many were coming. The three scouts saluted and almost immediately disappeared. Romis nodded in approval. They were well-trained and knew exactly what they were doing. He had little doubt that they would be successful in their brief mission. The question that plagued his mind was whether or not they would be successful in deterring these Plaguebearers.

GP

Name
    Dino Asakura
    Race
    Nephilim
    Hair Color
    White and Purple
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    5'6/158

Dino had grown a little agitated try to sneak past the military. True he could have just said he was there to help, but that was only a lie, and he saw no need in doing that unless absolutely necessary. He was not one to listen to any form or authority so working under someone was out of the question, and though mercenary work had crossed his mind once or twice, he did not need the money at this point, nor the hassle and was to busy with his research to worry about anything else. Ah yes research, the exact reason why he had traveled to this spot. He had heard stories of the Plaguebearers, a nasty group of undead that brought decay with every step. Upon hearing this Dino literally bolted to get a glimpse of these monsters.

He had decided not to bring Genbu along on this one, which the tortoise seemed fine with as he had wanted some sleep after there most recent venture into the Liviol Sanctum. He had to admit it was a tough one, and the familiar deserved some rest. Dino lost in thought, had failed to notice the group of elven soldiers that had been patrolling the area was eventually found by two of these soldiers. He decided not to even bother arguing as it would probably bring him trouble later on, that and they did not seem to eager to hear what he had to say in the first place.

He did not speak any elven language, so he could not be sure what they were discussing at they lead him to their encampment. If worst came to worse he could always run, not having to worry to much about getting shot down by arrows as long as he kept his mantle on, even if it did slow him down. He was eventually halted by the soldiers and more then likely taken to their leaders who were busy in thought probably discussing their strategy for the nearing battle. "So I am guessing your the ones in charge here. I do not speak elven, so we kind of have a problem if thats the only language any of you know."

Normally Dino would have added a tad more wittiness to his banter, but he was growing famished and it showed, thanks to his metabolism. He had not had time to catch anything to eat after being caught by the soldiers. In fact, one of the reasons he had decided to go along was the chance he would possibly receive a meal, even if it meant he had to lend his services, it would not matter much, he would fight along side them while he conducted his experiments with Plaguebearers, and once had had receive enough information, he would leave the remainder of the fight to the military.

EXP: 21,660, Level: 5
    Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next level: 5,340
    Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,340
    GP

Name
    Race
    Dream Demons
    Job
    torment

It was with the swiftness of a thunder crack that the river broke open. At the main bridge's far end, on either side, the heads rose. They were all scales and decayed pits whose only purpose was to transport the snapping jaws. The twin serpents rose like pillars from the water, then fell onto the east bank so heavily that the ground cracked.

Creatures fell from them like loose scales, though they held a certain dignity when they finally found their feet. Unbeknownst to the elven kind across the river, these were their ancient brethren. Though, they were now nothing more than the frostbitten corpses of an ancestral line cut short. Their flesh was strong even in death, lean muscle upon more lean muscle until they somehow looked like thin brutes, and then there were the ears. They were rigid, fleshy spires that stuck from either side of the head. To look at both groups of elves was to see the difference between a lion and a sabertooth.

With groans that could have been their old bodies or the broken earth, the serpents inched back into the water and disappeared. The ancient elves, determined as only the undead could be, walked through the serpent prints and arrayed themselves at the eastern bridge head. Their red platemail, dull and battered, seemed imposing on their frames, and the thin greatswords they drew upward were impressive even for their musculature. Dust from the serpents' entrance still floated in the air, and when it neared the blades was swept around them as if trapped by a tightly-spun breeze.

The elves waited, too distant to be called patient. The only sound to come from their direction was the whisper of their enchanted swords, and rarely the shuffle of armor as they searched for a mark. Below, the river seemed more frenzied, as if it found more resistant under the bridge than just the two serpentine bodies.

Out of Character:
    35 ancient elves in ranks on the eastern lip of the bridge
    2 large sea serpents, possibly more in the water
    Masters of the toybox.
    CWA - Protecting the Wellbeing and Livlihood of the Kender Hero Chromanon Rockskin

GP

Name
    Romis Heartsblood
    Race
    dragon

Romis looked up as a young man was brought before him and his advisors. He seemed to have a flippant attitude as he declared his inability to speak elven, not that it mattered since they weren’t speaking in elven anyway. Romis looked the stranger over carefully before gesturing for him to be released.

“Who are you and what are you doing so close to my camp?”

Before the stranger could give an answer, Romis’ attention was drawn away by the sudden appearance of the serpents and their passengers. Romis watched, irritation clearly evident on his face, as the serpents rose from the water. He had not heard of there being any serpents in this river, but somehow it did not surprise him. As the elf-like creatures across the bridge formed up, Romis took a quick head count.

Thirty-five. I don’t like those odds. The last scout needs to come back. If we’re going to take this bridge, we’re going to need everyone. I just wish I knew what those creatures were capable of doing.

Not daring to turn his back on the enemy, Romis backed up far enough that he could speak to the eleven Bladesingers around him.

“All right gentlemen, it would seem that we have a small problem on our hands. I will be honest with you, I’ve never seen creatures like those across that bridge. River serpents are a pain in the butt, but– “

Romis was cut off by a long, crystal clear note being sounded across the vast plains of Raiaera. Romis half turned toward it, wondering what it was. Before he could voice his question, one of the Bladesingers nodded as if having been told something then spoke to Romis.

“We must go. Eluriand is in danger. That was the Horn of Ainalindil, its call is over and above all orders, even those given directly by General Fingolfin himself.”

Romis nodded. He understood what the elf was saying, but he was not about to walk away from an enemy that stood before him.

“Very well, we go, but not before we destroy that bridge at the least. We will charge across the bridge, destroy as many as we can. Pick your targets, three each, then we recross the bridge and torch it. We do this as quickly as possible, then return with all haste to Eluriad.”

Romis then turned his attention to the young man that had been brought before him. “This is not your fight, whomever you are, thus I will not force you to fight against your will. Flee now as fast as your feet will carry you, or stay with us, the choice is yours to make. However, you must make it now before we begin our attack.”

GP

Name
    Dino Asakura
    Race
    Nephilim
    Hair Color
    White and Purple
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    5'6/158

The man who Dino assumed to be the leader of this small army did not seem to happy to see him, though it could just be tension from the war. He had not heard or seen the camp until he had been captured, and it had been a bit of a walk from that point to here, so Dino was pretty sure he had not been that close to the camp, but apparently he was wrong. What ever the circumstances were they really did not matter as Dino was already a prisoner.

And then they came. Dino was not sure if the serpents had brought the Plaguebearers he had been searching for or just some random army of undead. There seemed to be no earth rotting under their feet, so the mission was more then likely a failure. There was really no reason for Dino to stay, but the serpents did interest him. The leader seemed surprised by the attack, the creatures were new to him which also peaked Dino's interest. If he had not seen them before, then there was a chance few had meaning that they could be useful to his research. Lost in thought as he examined the creatures from afar, he found that the leader was not addressing him and thought it best to listen attention.

"-thus I will not force you to fight against your will. Flee now as fast as your feet will carry you, or stay with us, the choice is yours to make. However, you must make it now before we begin our attack.”

"So I guess I am not a prisoner then huh?" That was always a good thing. Being stuck as a hostage of war when you fought for neither side was a stupid position to be caught in. He really did not want to fight, but his curiosity usually got the better of him, and the unknown creatures were looking more and more appealing. "Just give me something to eat and I'll be just fine. Names Dino by the way." He still did not want to fight, and he was sure he could get a better and safer chance at seeing these things, but the Plaguebearers could show up at any moment, and he wanted to get at least a glimpse of the creatures if he could.

GP

Name
    Race
    Dream Demons
    Job
    torment

((I apologize for bunnying your troops into attacking. I assume that, with your tactics laid out, it is implied. Let me know if you have a problem with that.))

If Jade Vipress had known what a predicament she would be in near Eluriand, she would not have lent so many long-eared knights to protecting these small bridges. But, she was too far away to even sense these troops, let alone relay new orders to them. They would do as they had been commanded, for they didn't have the capacity to question it.

When the small enemy force rushed the bridge, the ancient elves stared coldly into them. Eyes did not meet eyes, for the undead were not seeking specific targets. The bodies coming at them were a singular threat, and they acted with synchronization to match it. Hands tightened on hilts as half of them were hefted high, then cleaved downward. The air that had been spiralling around the swords was thrown from them in a fierce pressure wave that punched into all those on the bridge and flattend the grass beyond for a short distance. The half that still held the enchantment swirling about their blades stepped forward, then, and they too released it. It was a more direct assault, aimed at those who were closest or hadn't lost their footing in the first push.

Then, before the dust could even settle, the two serpents from earlier reared out of the water. They snaked their thin heads over the sides of the bridge and began snapping hungrily for anything that stank of life. The water below them still churned with bodies; slithering, toothy ones that waited to devour any who fell into the rapid current.
    Last edited by Twisted Infinitum; 12-17-07 at 06:53 AM.
    Masters of the toybox.
    CWA - Protecting the Wellbeing and Livlihood of the Kender Hero Chromanon Rockskin

GP

Name
    Romis Heartsblood
    Race
    dragon

((No problem at all ^_^ also, a zillion, trillion, billion apologies to both of you for the long silence. the holiday season had me extremely busy...^_^;)

Romis glowered as he saw the effects of those magic blades on his forces. Fortunately, none of his men lost their footing to fall into the roiling water where the serpents waited eagerly for an elf snack. Spreading his great wings, Romis flapped them hard, rising quickly into the air. He quickly crossed the river then landed behind the enemy line. Drawing his sword, he lashed out with the fine steel blade.

The enemies, however, did not seem to be easily fazed by the dragon’s blade or those of his men. Frustrated, Romis rose up into the air again, getting out of reach as fast as he was able. He could not afford to have cuts in the membrane of his wings. They wouldn’t heal properly to allow him to continue to fly if his wings got overly damaged. Landing on the other side once again, Romis stood on the edge of the bridge, sword raised high as he called out at the top of his lungs.

“FALL BACK! FALL BACK!!”

He stood in the center, holding the bridge and trying to keep the attention of the enemies as his twelve Bladesingers crossed the bridge again. Once they were all across, Romis stepped back and gave the order to torch the bridge. One of the Bladesingers stepped forward, weaving his magic, and soon the edge of the bridge was blazing merrily.

“Head back for Eluriand with all haste to answer that horn. I will catch up once I’m sure that bridge is going to stay destroyed. GO! Your countrymen need you at the capital!”

As one, the Bladesingers saluted and urged their horses to return as fast as they could. A few may have looked back over their shoulders at the blazing bridge and the lone figure impassively watching the flames as they attempted to engulf the rest of the bridge, but Romis did not notice. He had promised to see the bridge destroyed and he would not abandon that first mission just yet. He may have to come back to finish the job, but for the moment, he was going to hope that the enemies on the other side would not be able to put out the flames.
    Last edited by Heartsblood; 01-07-08 at 11:55 PM.

GP

Name
    Dino Asakura
    Race
    Nephilim
    Hair Color
    White and Purple
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    5'6/158

Well this was lovely, just lovely. It seemed the enemy had decided to start their attack, and the warriors had no choice but to defend the bridge for however short it would be. "I guess I should go help eh?" he questioned his familiar Genbu only to remember that the tortoise had not come with him on this trip. He removed his mantle, lowering his defense, but he could use the speed with so many to fight and his inexperience. Eating would have to wait for the time being, and it almost put a tear to his eyes.

As the leader flew off to the battle, Dino too made his way to the bridge, jumping onto the rope in which his speed and agility kicked in, keeping his balance so as not to fall into the water and become the serpents next meal. Coming up next to one of the unsuspecting creatures, Dino jumped down and pulled it from behind, tossing the creatures in the river below. He didn't have time to see if the serpents had attempted to eat it or were able to recognize that it was one of their own as another came to attack him. He would not be able to do much fatal damage, but he could help keep the enemy preoccupied while the Bladesingers attacked.

The leader called for his men to fall back and they followed his orders with out fail. Dino tailed just behind the group as the man gave the order to torch the bridge. This little trip of his had ended in failure, but it could always be worse. The elves were ordered to return to Elruiand just after setting the bridge a blaze, Dino taking this time to grab a few pieces of food sticking what he wouldn't eat into one of his pouches as he ate a small bread roll and some meat, coming up to the bridge.

"Well Captain....General, what ever your ranking is, I am guessing this did not go as planned?" Dino asked turning to the man as he stayed to watch the bridge burn. "What happens next in this war, if you don't mind telling a mere commoner like myself?"

GP

Name
    Race
    Dream Demons
    Job
    torment

Dispassionately, the undead watched the retreat beyond the hot, rippling veil of air. There had been strikes upon them, but they didn't find them worthy of retaliation. What small losses had been incured were nothing against the might of their unit, let alone the army that would swell this way when the elven city finally fell.

The fire concerned them more than their opponents, but only so far as the dead could be concerned. Another round of air blasts rippled from the swords, smearing the fire toward the grass of the western bank rather than extinguishing it. A few serpent heads bobbed above the current, attempting to shovel water with their mouths. They only succeeded in rinsing the numerous decaying pits and tunnels that filled their skulls.

Then, the undead stopped paying attention. Free of bravado or vengeance, they switched to the alternate plan that had been left in their minds. There were two more bridges, one each to the north and south, and they smoothly divided their forces in two to secure those points.

As the ancient warriors moved away along the eastern bank, the river below them churning with their aquatic companions, the fire had taken hold upon the dry grass of the western bank. Thick clouds churned over the distant city, wet and heavy, but there was no such luck here. While this region also lay under a blanket of white, almost pink against the unnatural red sky of this desperate day, the clouds were light and puffy from a lack of saturation. Eventually, the smoke would push the clouds to bursting, or the shower over Eluriand would spread. But, for now, the countryside and much of the elves' fields, livestock, and livelihoods would know destruction. It was just a taste of what would come when Xem'zund's grasp reached this far.
    Last edited by Twisted Infinitum; 01-06-08 at 06:35 PM.
    Masters of the toybox.

GP

Name
    Romis Heartsblood
    Race
    dragon

Romis Heartsblood barely heard Dino’s questions as he watched the fire be pushed away from the wood of the bridge and onto the grass. He glared angrily as the enemies moved away. From the direction they went, he assumed they were heading off to defend the other bridges. Right now, though, that did not matter to the dragon. Turning his attention to Dino at last, he finally spoke.

“Run! Get out of here just as fast you can. I can’t help you any more than that. If you wish to fight, then head for Eluriand. If not, then it doesn’t matter what direction you go.”

Romis saluted the man then unfurled his wings. He hadn’t used them in several days and hoped that because of that their strength would last longer than usual. He began to run while flapping his wings mightily. In just a few strides, Romis was airborne. Romis climbed swiftly into the air as high as his wings would allow him. Despite the desperate circumstances, a smile parted his lips. He always enjoyed his flights.

Flapping his wings strongly, Romis quickly began to close in on his troops. He could see them below him, urging their horses to greater speeds. From his vantage point in the air he could begin to see the mass of evil attacking Eluriand and his heart quivered within him.

There’s too many. We can’t possibly stand against this for long.

Despite this, Romis pressed on. His wings were beginning to tire, but he pushed them on anyway. He began drifting toward the ground, slowly at first then with more speed as his wings began to fail from exhaustion. Bracing himself, Romis tried to flare them out to slow him down as he hit the ground hard, rolled several feet, then finally came to a stop. He lay there on the cold ground, breathing heavily. Nothing seemed to be broken, so he got slowly and carefully to his feet. No sooner had he gotten his bearings, than his men pulled up.

“Captain Heartsblood?”

“Yeah, yeah, I know, save the questions for later when we have time. Give me a lift, I can’t fly any further.”

The Bladesinger reached a hand down and helped his captain up behind him, a questioning look still on his face.

“Orders, sir?”

“Keep going, all hell is breaking loose up there. They need every man they can get.”

The elven warrior saluted, put his heels to his horse’s flanks and the beast resumed its previous journey. Romis looked ahead of them, wondering how things were going to work out, but hoping against the odds that they would be victorious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast