Blue
    Build
    5'11"
    Job
    Unknown as of yet

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Step 1
    We'd accumulate that money with an admission's fee of 100gp for thirty slots. They all fill up and we have our prize money and a little on the side for operational expenses.
    Just a little opinion to keep it to 32 people. Make it even so that way there are no byes or anything. That or something like that. Can be circumvented by my suggestion below.

Step 2
    Special stipulations of the tournament.
    I really like the word count idea, as that should force the people to post a lot faster. And the battles could actually take only a week too. Provided judges knew ahead of time, or it gets works out, you could have 2-3 members "Guest Judge" in order to make the threads go more quickly.

Also, another way to get around even the judging thing, is to just have 3-5 rounds of matches, with all different types of arenas, all with a 200 word limit per post. The total score would be tallied and the highest would be winner. So someone who lost every match, but scores 70s the whole time might still win, and there is no true elimination. So it's not so much who cowboys up for the right matches but who is consistently the best writer.

Also, in order to keep it more interesting, we could always have a side betting pool. Entrants can put their weapons up to the game of specific matches against their opponent. So Slayer could bet his buster sword against Max Dirk's gun. Not an official thing, but as an optional side thing to help make matches better.

Spear - Delyn and Livol
    Titanium Lock
    Snack
    - Dragon Meat
    Silver Bell - Enchanted with a light spell that's good for up to 10 feet forward and to either side of dim light.
    Damascas Jian - A Red blade that weighs 2 lbs. Enchanted, sword does indeed feel like 20 lbs to any who hold it, but to those being struck by it, it only adds an extra 5 lbs of weight to the strike

Best Battle of 06

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    I think the standard Serenti-style tournament layout would work fine for matchups. The word limit would add plenty of original zest to this tourny.

Since the contractors are the ones running this, maybe they could decide what the arenas look like, rather than leaving it up to the first person who posts.

To steal an idea from Dark Magus' tournament, there could even be an element of Sora members manipulating the setting to throw curveballs at the combattants.
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

GP

Name
    Seti Dylan
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 160 lbs
    Job
    Architect / City Planner / Designer

The Architect likes! The Architect likes very much! That two hundred word limit would prove a mighty big challenge to writer's like myself. Well it's a good thing I'd only be hosting the tournament.

I'll edit to more properly respond to everyone's post...
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifex
    rovided judges knew ahead of time, or it gets works out, you could have 2-3 members "Guest Judge" in order to make the threads go more quickly.
    It would be really awesom if some of the members of the House of Sora guest judged in addition to the moderators. That way they wouldn't have to do so much. I believe a while back we talked about staff appreciation in this very forum. It might have even been me who brought up the idea of doing something to lighten their load. This may be it. We also have alot of intelligent players in our power group who may make good judges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifex
    Also, another way to get around even the judging thing, is to just have 3-5 rounds of matches, with all different types of arenas, all with a 200 word limit per post. The total score would be tallied and the highest would be winner. So someone who lost every match, but scores 70s the whole time might still win, and there is no true elimination. So it's not so much who cowboys up for the right matches but who is consistently the best writer.
    I do like that idea indeed, but that brings up something that's always bothered me. When someone wins a round OOCly but their character is beaten within an inch of their life and there's no IC way he's going to the next round, what the hell do you guys do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Citty Cat
    So Slayer could bet his buster sword against Max Dirk's gun. Not an official thing, but as an optional side thing to help make matches better.
    That's a great idea, but what if we were to make it official and take a cut? We could use the earnings from the gambling to add to the prize money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbers
    I think the standard Serenti-style tournament layout would work fine for matchups.
    I was thinking Serenti's one on one matchups would be the best way to go in combonation with Artifex's multiple non elimination rounds. To add anything more would cause to much confusion.
    Since the contractors are the ones running this, maybe they could decide what the arenas look like, rather than leaving it up to the first person who posts.
    I was thinking that from the begining. So many of us have many places we could visit. We have an estate in the Raiaera countryside, the Triple Marble Minaret my character was completing, Rajani's Peregrine. Perhaps that will be the main role the House members could play in all this.
    Last edited by The Architect; 11-28-07 at 10:02 PM.
    They try to dance with a devil in the pale moonlight
    Advance on the level that they can’t do right
    Lay hands on a fellow like the man in blue lights
    Woop, woop
    Do it twice

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    It would be really awesom if some of the members of the House of Sora guest judged in addition to the moderators. That way they wouldn't have to do so much. I believe a while back we talked about staff appreciation in this very forum. It might have even been me who brought up the idea of doing something to lighten their load. This may be it. We also have alot of intelligent players in our power group who may make good judges.
    Despite that, the Althanas moderators go through alot of training to become official judges. IMHO, it wouldn't be fair to have untrained members judging other members. With the word limit in place, if the judges just put up scores and very little comments, they could bang out judgements fairly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect
    When someone wins a round OOCly but their character is beaten within an inch of their life and there's no IC way he's going to the next round, what the hell do you guys do?.
    The monks heal everyone between rounds, like in Citadel battles.

I do have another idea for making things easier on the mods/making this tourny different. If you're interested just let me know (it's kinda complex and I need to write an essay right now).
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

GP

Name
    Seti Dylan
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 160 lbs
    Job

Heh... interested.

By the way. If anyone feels like doing this on their own, feel free to although I'd be a tad bit purterbed. (just in case)
    Woop, woop
    Do it twice

EXP: 59,200, Level: 10
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 5,800
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,800
    GP

Name
    Findelfin ap Fingolfin
    Race
    Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Golden
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    6'2", 220 lbs
    Job
    General of Raiaera, Diadem of Telendor Nauvarin

Y'all have some great ideas going here...if there is anything we can do to help, let us moderators know! I don't want to step on anyone's toes as they work on it, though, I'd like to see what y'all come up with.

If you'd like to have a non-mod judge it, just pick your person and send us the name. I'm sure we can agree to abide by that judge's decision on progression in the tournament if you pick someone good. But I will stipulate that issues of gold rewards, EXP rewards, etc, will be determined by an official mod. That's the only extent to which I'll ask that moderators be involved in the judging process.

Good luck with this!
    Exile of Raiaera

"He who has knowledge of the just and the good and beautiful ... will not, when in earnest, write them in ink, sowing them through a pen with words which cannot defend themselves by argument and cannot teach the truth effectually."
    --Plato, Phaedrus

Althanas Staff Administrator Emeritus

EXP: 73,853, Level: 11
    Level completed: 74%, EXP required for next level: 3,147
    Level completed: 74%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,147
    GP

Name
    Lillian Sesthal
    Race
    Apparently Human
    Hair Color
    Silky Black
    Eye Color
    Eerie Blue
    Build
    5'7" / ?? lbs.

This sounds as awesome as the cake I'm eating!

Delicious.

If player judges are allowed and everyone else on the list suddenly combusts, then I'd gladly be the last drummer of Spinal Tap.

Or something that makes sense. But I've judged before, and my house got vandalized shortly after. I always wondered how they got my address. So, at your risks and perils, fellow gnus! Mine too, especially.

Also, mixing this with a betting system like Dirks is doing with the Citadel would be a good idea to keep interest constant, and with a cut of the winnings, we could even up the initial prize money for more incentive, allowing for a better spread between 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

GP

Name
    Seti Dylan
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 160 lbs
    Job

Quote Originally Posted by Sighter
    But I will stipulate that issues of gold rewards, EXP rewards, etc, will be determined by an official mod.
    The exp I completely understand, but what if the House of Sora issued out the gold and other rewards from it's own pocket(at least in terms of the finalists)?

I do have another idea for making things easier on the mods/making this tourny different. If you're interested just let me know (it's kinda complex and I need to write an essay right now).
    Like I said before I'm interested. The suspense has been killing me for days now lol
    Woop, woop
    Do it twice

Do you know my name?
    EXP: 38,033, Level: 7
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 5,967
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,967
    GP

Name
    Jame Whitizard-Kaosi
    Race
    Half Dragon
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    6'5" medium build
    Job
    Knight

Suggestion, what if you have a mod judge the threads as quests for the purpose of EXP, that way the decisions on advancement can not be undermined by the moderator judgments?

Also, if you're using your own GP, then you can award it as you see fit.

GP

Name
    Seti Dylan
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 160 lbs
    Job

That's a good way to look at it. If we were to hold the tournaments in regional forums the players could request to have them judged as quests instead of battles. Then we could decide who advances ourselves.

BTW Shot in the dark here, but does anyone think we should do this now?
    Woop, woop
    Do it twice

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast