Sorahn yelled with frustration as Koran rolled gracefully away from his jet of fire. The fleeting hope that he could finally end this battle slipped from his grasp. “Argh!” He grunted through gritted teeth as a wave of pain surged through him. He looked down at his makeshift bandage, which was now soaked almost completely through with his warm blood. He could feel his strength slowly leaving him. His began breathing faster as he clenched his teeth harder, trying to block out the pain. His hands had begun shaking and he was starting to feel cold.

No! I can not be beaten so easily! All I must do is finish this battle quickly and the monks can take care of this scratch. He thought, grunting as he fought a fresh wave of pain. Anger had begun to show on his face. Nyris is not wounded. That gives me the advantage.

Almost as soon as he thought this the dragon wavered slightly. Sorahn hadn’t noticed that his flight had already become erratic. He could feel the great dragon straining to maintain his path. Nyris? What is wrong?

You are badly injured, thus am I. The dragon responded cryptically, as always. Your pain is a heavy burden I must carry.

Sorahn only partially understood the dragon’s words, but now was not the time to ponder such things. Koran had gotten desperate. Sorahn could see it in his eyes as he turned to face him. And they both knew what desperate men were capable of. Sorahn clutched his abdomen as a wall of fiery pain washed over him, causing him to grimace. I am growing quite desperate myself.

His eyes met Koran’s for an instant. Both of them had the insane, enraged look reserved only for the dying. Just in that one look, they understood each other completely. Neither of them would let the other win. Sorahn’s shakes grew more violent as his muscles grew tense with anger. He was pushing his body to the limit as adrenaline flowed through his veins, giving him one last push of strength, and managing to block out the great pain just long enough.

The great beast gave a powerful roar that shook Sorahn through his back. Sorahn yelled as well as his black spear appeared in his hand again. He was consumed with a desire to win. By now he knew he would die. This was his final stand. He was determined to make his death count.

The dragon felt this intense drive as well and roared again, surging forward with a new strength. He had the same hunger as Sorahn, and was ready to give his dying breath to this battle. He opened his powerful jaws and beat his wings with ferocity.

Suddenly Sorahn saw the glowing orange blade as Koran raised it to strike. It pulsed with an immense stored energy and Sorahn’s eyes grew wide as he realized what was about to happen.

“NO!” He screamed, and leapt up out of the saddle. He quickly pushed off with his right foot and hurled himself forward, toward Koran. He flew what felt like a mile up the dragon’s neck to his head. He roared one final time as he brought the spear down on his friend and opponent with all the strength he had left. Time moved slowly as they met, the passion of a warrior filling them both. He put his soul behind that blade, and it sailed toward its target like a meteor.

I will not die a coward.

The pulsing orange blade met Nyris’s hard scales with incredible force, sending cracks along its length. The very air shook as it exploded with violent impact, sending a shockwave in all directions. A huge ball of fire burst forth in the air, lighting up the sky with a bright orange glow. The ground below rumbled as trees were blown sideways with the force.

Then everything fell silent.