Cael had a dislike for things happening all at once - they made his head hurt. If he had his way, things would happen in a neat, linear, orderly manner, easily followed and easily absorbed.

This week had done anything but start wonderfully, but it had lowered his expectations in some areas, raising them in others. He wasn't surprised that the door had barely closed behind the young woman when something -someone- slammed through the floor. And Calbrena changed. Again.

So being startled makes her change, too, he noted, absently, watching the flames licking off of her fingers more than he really watched the new additions to the Inn. Good to know. He was suddenly quite glad he didn't have the naginata in hand right now - something told him any sign of a threat was going to be taken quite violently. He glanced at the elf with a small, apologetic smile, waving towards the table. The elf seemed to take the hint, returning the smile timidly as she moved that way herself, giving the angry demoness a wide berth.

"Calbrena..." Cael kept his voice calm, almost like he was talking to a startled, skittish animal, or a scared child. "Y'just finished saying y'weren't goin' t'let me down, or turn on me." He took another step backwards, hands spread in a placating gesture. "I'd have t'imagine clawin' me t'ribbons would probably be included in those."

Gods I hope so, anyways.

He was probably taking his life in his hands right there reminding her of it - if she really was a demon half the time, she might not want reminded of the promises of her...her other self. But he really couldn't see this whole venture ending here, of all places, before it even began.

It took all of his willpower to continue moving away from the weapon, body almost at-attention with the amount of effort he was putting in to trying to appear calm and non-threatening.

"So, if y'could just...make t'fire go away..." He reached up to take another teacup off the mantel, setting it down on the table. "I'm just goin' t'make our new..." He paused, thinking of the right word. "...friends feel welcome." He paused for a moment before looking at the hobgoblin - if he was what he claimed - standing in the ruined boards.

"No, sir," He spoke, practically dripping manners, painfully aware of Calbrena's angry eyes boring into his head, "I have t'say I haven't." Are you planning to pay for the damage? "I...take it someone sent y'as well?"