Quote Originally Posted by Visla Eraclaire View Post
I agree that over-mature children are a problem. That's why I would try to avoid the elvish situation exacerbating it.

Knave is right about just doing something unexpected and original, so long as you think it through. Pick a rule, figure out its consequences, and apply them consistently. Playing elves are just "better" humans is boring though. I prefer to look at the genuine consequences of a long lifetime, including bitterness, detachment, and a short of flightiness about things shorter-lived races would consider extremely dire.

"Oh, thousands of people are going to die, are they? Well, I've seen about fifty thousand die in my life so far, and I imagine it'll be close to a million in the final accounting. Best of luck with that."
When doing this, you have to be careful to avoid being offputting or wangsty. Proper angst is one thing, but a character whose whole existence boils down to "I'll live forever so what do you matter? " or "Who wants to live forever? " is really, really annoying.

And also: Ignore anyone telling you to be original. Cliches become cliche because they work. Knave's own character looks like the knock-off spawn of a couple generations worth of Nyarlathotep worshippers from the Lovecraft Mythos with a few generic Signs of Villainy scattered in to give a moral perspective. Visla is basically a stock subversion of a Mary Sue waif spellcaster. I refuse to comment on my own characters, but I'm sure anyone can pick out about ninety atrocious stereotypes in any one of them.

Originality is irrelevant. An enjoyable story is all that matters. If you find a formula that works, whether it's older than dirt or fresh as newly cut grass, go with it.