Izvilvin's first steps onto Irrakam's familiar ground had him reminising. The region was the same, after all, virtually unchanged since the last time he'd felt the sand beneath his feet.

The sun still shone bright, lighting the grassy shores of the island, setting the yellow bricks of the buildings ablaze. He would squint perpetually here but never complain about it. The docks were a ways away from Jya's Keep for security and aesthetic reasons alike, and what lay between was a small city Izvilvin had defended more than once before. He could recall the harpy invasion some years ago, even a particular moment when he'd strangled one lifeless on this very shore.

He was surrounded by tourists, for that was the nature of the boat he'd taken. Izvilvin's two weeks in Alerar had been eventful, but not in a way that could grant him personal ship voyages from the military or from an aristocrat. It was a familiar homecoming, one far more pleasing than his return to Ettermire.

He walked with purpose toward the gates of the Keep, his feet light and easy, his swords bouncing against his hips. He passed between a pair of familiar guards walking the road in the opposite direction. They nodded. Izvilvin didn't recognize them.

His journey past the gates and into the splendor of Jya's Keep was a short one. He was remembered well, and given permission to explore the grounds as he pleased. Jya's chambers was his first stop; he passed courtyards filled with flowers, ceramic and glass sculptures of warriors and decoratives, ivory floors and staircases, and eventually came to his old chambers just outside of the Jya's. He'd been her personal guard, after all, after Laix and Palmer had been killed.

She greeted him with a hug - highly informal of someone of such stature. She'd seen his heart, however, and knew it was the most appropriate way to make him feel welcome and vulnerable all at once.

Her words to him were in drow. "It has been too long, dear Izvilvin. I know it is a long journey to come here, and so I appreciate the chance to look at your face once more."

She smiled, knowing he'd been disarmed. The raven-haired, olive-skinned woman seemed to relish in their friendship. She knew more about his history than just about anyone the world over.

His response was also in drow. "The pleasure belongs to me, Jya. I remember a time when my face was in here far too often, as your guards and advisors used to say."

There was a silence between them, a mutual happiness to be in one's presence again. Years had passed, but their relationship hadn't changed.

A time passed in the Jya's chamber, where they spoke and caught up. He was given a bed in an unused chamber downstairs, and it was there that he slept for two days.

On the morning he was supposed to meet Sei Orlouge, Izvilvin had horses ready, provided by the Jya from Suravani's Oasis. They were of the finest breed available, strong and capable.