“I honestly don’t think you know what your getting into here Lan...” Rosa’s voice was heavy with concern as the Pixie continued to flutter beside Lancaster. Shadows from the dense trees were covering most of the ground. The silence was daunting as every creature existing within the forest moved with the stealth and patience of an owl, silently gliding through the night skies.

“Rose, I already told you this, we have no money.” Lancaster reached for the gold pouch which was incredibly light for someone who was supposed to be a mercenary making money off of clients. “We both agreed that the elves of Raiaera have been paying people like me to offer their services in the war with Xem'zûnd.” Shaking his head, the young mercenary gave up arguing with the little pixie he called his friend. If anything, their voices would give their location away before they could even find the villa of the leader of the elves.

Pausing, Lancaster knelt down and focused on a particular indent in the ground. It looked to be made by something around the same weight as an above average human. There was no definition in the foot print so it could potentially have been left by a large animal. Either way, what ever left the mark was moving with extreme stealth and did not want anyone tracking it. Running his hand over the mark, Lancaster erased its existence from the forest floor. Perhaps it was foolhardy, but the only tracks he wanted on the forest floor was his own, if he couldn’t find the villa the elves would eventually find him.

“Despite the fact that these elves are willing to pay for your help. What makes you think they won’t stick an arrow in your neck before you even know they’re there? Don’t forget, this is not Concordia anymore, we are on their terf.” Anxiety filled the little pixies voice as her wings fluttered making the only sound within the forest, her eyes darting from one moving shadow to the next.

Lancaster sighed as he stood back up giving up on the tracks which he had deemed to belong to a rather large wolf. “I realize they may kill me before I get to see them, but they may also be the clients that rid us of all our gold issues. Does that not sound good?” Facing Rosa, Lancaster reached out and held the small pixie in his hand. Looking down at her small, worried face he smiled. “And despite what you think. I would never let anything happen to you.”

Just as the words slipped past his lips Lancaster heard a snap from somewhere behind them. Sweeping Rosa into his jacket pocket, he pulled his bow from his back and quickly notched an arrow. He would not stand a chance against the elves of Raiaera with a sword. They would have him filled with arrows before he even got close enough to land a blow. Slipping a few steps back, Lancaster knelt beside a tree using it to support his weight while he kept the bow trained on the area where he had heard the snapping of dry branches. What ever had made that noise was close, to close.

Sweat began to pool on the young man’s brow as he tried to keep his heart rate normal. Heart pounding and adrenaline flowing, the thought of this being his last breath constantly crossed his mind. For all he knew the elf was lining up its shot and he would soon feel the darkness of death. This was a stupid idea. What made him think he could track down a group of elves who were at war and clearly did not want to be found. Money was what got him here, yet no amount of money seemed enough to Lancaster right now as he lowered his bow and placed the arrow back in his quiver. The worst thing he could do was seem hostile, at this point his life was now in the hands of another. Assuming the noise was an elf and not some oversized beast waiting for its next meal.

Stepping out from behind the tree, Lancaster kept his hand on the hilt of his sword just in case. “Elves of Raiaera, if that is you I sense outside the vision of a normal human let me be clear.” Pausing to gather his courage and to make sure his voice remained confident and calm. “I mean you no harm and would simply wish to speak to the elf named Findelfin.” Closing his eyes and trusting his ears, Lancaster prayed this would not be his last dying seconds.