White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    It didn't take as long as I thought for Sophia to get bandaged up as our magic support was still treating the wounded infantry. What astounded me, however, was that the person who patched Sophia up was none other than our mute guide. Pell kept watch with a few of those who weren't injured as badly, and while we waited, the field commander's voice came through via my mana stone along with the shouting of orders being relayed in the beacon area.

Despite the fact that he was a fellow Mana Knight of my age, he had always gravitated towards planning of combat rather than the grisly bits. Nevertheless, when it came to battlefield strategy, having a man like Reginald Masters was a boon. The only issue you ever had to wonder about was whether or not you'd be able to live with the actions required of you, earning him the title of The Grim Tactician.

Regrettably what he said gave little comfort. "Oswald, we have reports of several dozen tulartars heading towards Sylvia's location. Her unit is pulling back slowly, but at the rate they're going they'll be overrun."

A grimace made its way to my lips as I replied quickly, "We're moving out as soon as we have our wounded treated."

"Sylvia should be your primary concern." Sylvia - the Mana Knight we were seeking, but one I did not personally know. From what I had heard, she was much younger than I was, perhaps the same generation as those of my unit. Regardless, even I had heard about her exploits in my years of drunken solitude. The woman had become a legend in her own time and was often referred to as The Maiden of War.

"My soldiers are my primary concern."

"About that - I've reassigned the mage and blacksmith attached to your group with auxiliary. They're making good progress in moving to recapture supplies. The eluvian you had is making her way towards your position with a combat squad of her own." A tired sigh passed from him as his voice came through with some irritation, "So as I've said, Sylvia is your main concern. Follow your orders and let me worry about providing the support where needed."

"Consider the orders done then." As Reginald's voice faded, I turned to the soldiers that still remained with a dark grimace upon my face. Tulartars were never good news but several dozen? If anything it confirmed my suspicions that there was something else at stake in this battle. Was the enemy making a desperate push or were they after something? In any case, there was no reason to alarm or panic those still with me. "Pell, we're moving out. Miss Ezraehie is bringing an eluvian squad to cover our rear and flank. I'm told that they'll also pick up our wounded." At the mention of Erieai, I caught a grin on Pell's face as he moved off to round up those able with no disagreement.

Soon enough, we were on the move again with a much smaller force now and after what the group had experienced, I couldn't blame them for being uneasy - I was like them once. It didn't help that the farther away we marched from the beacon, the more buildings were set aflame. If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn we were marching straight into the jaws of Hadia itself as the narrow, winding streets meant that every corner could be a trap or ambush. Even so, time was of the essence as I did not relish the thought of taking on multiple tulartars if we didn't have to - hells, it was difficult for most combat groups to even take down one of the giant bovine creatures.

Sounds of clashing steel, lights from magical discharges and yelling of soldiers ahead signaled we were close. Yet, before we could even react, a building to our right flank practically erupted as an armored tulartar charged out with a bestial roar, immediately goring a soldier badly while cleaving another in two with its oversized claymore. A swift hail of arrows from overhead sealed the fates of a few more soldiers as ioaiis, wulvens and skegulls surrounded us in force.

First thing was first: the feline archers - the cattyans - needed to be removed from the fight and I didn't have the time to just simply wipe them off the roofs above. As the few soldiers with me engaged, I raised my left hand and clenched a fist quickly. At once, a shimmering barrier glowed over us and I felt it quickly being amplified by the magic support.

Rushing a tulartar was never a bright thing to do and yet that was exactly what I did. It was what I had to do to draw its attention from the rest of my soldiers. The tulartar, armored in full plate, nine feet in height and half that in how broad its shoulders were resembled a wall of steel rather than something I could kill - well, easily. As I charged with a roar of my own, it swung. A blast of energy shot down my right sword arm as I deflected his blade just in time. There was momentary surprise in its movements as it parried several swings from my broadsword before it was able to keep me at bay with his reach.

Without warning, strong gusts billowed through the street and stirred the ashes into the air as a haze of blinding and suffocating debris. A glint of metal honing in quickly warned me to defend myself and as I threw up a barrier, I felt my greaves leave the ground before being hurled several feet away. Sharp, pained breath told of a broken rib or two as I forced myself to stand and focused myself to see through the ether of mana. What I saw had me questioning whether or not I was dreaming.

Soldiers on both sides were hindered as the unexpected storm swirled about while a single figure dashed from beast to beast, dispatching them quickly and efficiently. A familiar metal ring and the sound of arching electricity from the figure's blade had me whisper a single name: "Holly..." For the briefest second, I could have sworn the figure looked in my direction as it continued its rampage.

An ear shattering bellow from the tulartar reminded me of my duties as the winds died down. Seeing the creature shaking its helmeted head violently in an attempt to expel the dust and ash, I took my chances and charged once more. A blind swing came in wide from my left and was easily avoided as I slid along the ground. Surges of strength poured through my limbs as I swiftly rose and thrust my broadsword through the armored bovine's abdomen. Seconds later, a burst of light exploded from the beast's back and sure enough, I saw its eyes dim through the crevice of its great helm as I withdrew my blade.

Almost immediately after, a sword crushed against my left shoulder and would have sunk in deeply if not for my plated armor. Turning, I gave a thrust with my sword, but was unable to get a good angle at the snarling wulven. An abrupt spray of blood onto my face and a sword grinding through the wulven's back and out its chest had me sigh in relief. I shoved the creature off of me quickly and as I did, I caught sight of Sophia as my savior before she rushed off the rejoin Pell and the others holding the line.

Frantic shouts and screams approaching us from the direction we were headed warned me that our objective was approaching us instead. With it, it would mean more enemies as well and from the sounds of it, our side was losing. With the tulartar dead, however, my unit was able to regroup and thankfully just in time as the barrier above began to weaken. "Support, take out those archers!" There was little hesitance in our mages as they stopped their augmentations and began suppression with magic and gunfire at the archers above. Arrows rained back in response. I knew we would take casualties; however, it wasn't a careless gamble.

Within moments, I spotted the unmistakable form of our guide moving quickly above on the rooftops in a whirlwind of slashes as he... or she severed limbs and heads from the enemy archers above, effectively drawing their attention away from those on the street. It would be no reprieve from the rest of the battle though as the distinctive roars of more tulartars charged towards us, pushing back what remained of Sylvia's unit before them. The Maiden of War herself was doing her best to buy her men more time even though the heavy injuries she sustained slowed her retreat to a crawl. Nevertheless, it was impressive to see the woman keep three tulartars at bay by herself.

Running towards the incoming tide of beastmen, I could see it was obvious that we were losing this battle. I gritted my teeth knowing that sacrifices would have to be made in order to secure Sylvia, but I hesitated to give the order. As I cleaved and burned a path through flesh and fur to reach Pell and Sophia, one thought continued to play in my head: was that Holly? The gusts of wind and technique - even the weapon, all pointed to her, yet I couldn't be sure. Not until I could see her face.

"This isn't looking good, Oswald!" Pell shouted as he parried a skegull's spear. "Is there an actual plan or are we all just supposed to die here?"

I didn't answer him right away as I deflected another wulven soldier's scimitar and lunged with my broadsword to pierce its breastplate and heart. Casting a quick glance at the battle on the street, it certainly did look as if all of us would be dead soon. "Fight our way to Sylvia and her unit, then we fall back."

A sudden shriek of pain snapped my attention to Sophia as an ioaii stabbed a dagger into the girl's side. Before I could move to help, however, the girl drew a knife from her hip and began stabbing the rodent repeatedly as her free hand grappled and held the creature against the ground. Certain that it was dead she quickly retrieved her long sword and readied herself, back to back with a fellow soldier. "And protect Sophia."

Without warning, the body of a cattyan plummeted to the ground with our guide landing a second later to sever its head. It was then that I noted the mask was missing and so was the white and red mane attached to it. For the first time, I could see the faded brown hair streaked with grey and when our guide turned, I saw the unmistakable hazel eyes of my wife. A streak of crimson ran down from her head and dripped periodically from her chin as she stared back at me.

At that moment, I forgot myself and where I was. Nothing seemed to matter - the burning buildings, enemies trying to cut me down, my mission... none of it. Questions by the thousands clouded my mind as well as anguish, anger, and regret.

"More archers from above!" Pell's voice jerked me out of my daze and from the looks of it, Holly too. Arrows hailed down with a vengeance upon those still alive and before I could raise a barrier, two hit dangerously close to my heart. None of those around me were left unscathed.

"Mother Holly!" Sophia's shout seemed to echo through the air as she defended my wife and apparently, her mother.

It was then that I watched with horror as an archer on the roof lined its sight on the pair. With whatever strength I could muster, I surged a ball of fire towards the feline, but not before the arrow had loosed from its weapon.

The arrow struck true into the back of Sophia's head and at the moment, silence rang in my ears. It was as if my nightmares were manifesting themselves before me. Once more I would have to bear witness to a child die while protecting her parent. And as I watched her body fall and lie still in the blood-soaked mud of the street I felt the fight in my body beginning to ebb. Not only had I failed my mission, I failed the only woman who had mattered to me, again.

"Azza...? Azza no... AZZA!" I could only assume the name my wife screamed was Sophia's true name as she cradled the dead girl to her chest.

As I continued to watch while the battle still raged around us, the body of Holly and Sophia began to glow white, softly at first, and continued to grow in intensity. Arrows that continued to fall on the two clattered harmlessly to their sides. Something about the sight made me recall when I destroyed the pendant all those years ago. There was no malice though in the aura that radiated and as it spread along the ground, I came to the realization that perhaps all the legends were true.

There was no longer any doubt in my mind that the girl slain before me was a Skalu Hudie, and as the white glow moved to engulf my consciousness, I prayed for the first time in decades that those still alive here wouldn't meet a fate similar to Old Pretalia Castle.
    Last edited by orphans; 05-27-13 at 07:45 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...