Amber
    Build
    210cm / 105kg
    Job
    City guard (corporal), armourer

View Profile

The Long Game

Open to Luned and Warpath

This thread takes place some weeks after Chasing Ghosts, once Resolve has returned from Fallien (Shards of Suravani), and Otto from Salvar (Business, Pleasure & Pugilism)

The door was varnished mahogany, a rich, rust-coloured wood which gave the impression that someone had managed to put a shine on old blood. Grimhold spent a short moment examining the intricate scrollwork (and vowed that one day he would possess such a grand status symbol as this) while he ran a soft hand through his chestnut hair, then rapped smartly against the wood.

"Enter," came a voice from the other side.

Jerome Grimhold clutched the slender brass handle, thrust the door inward, and stepped into the pleasant office beyond. His eyes ached as glaring sunlight hit them, fed into the room by a series of tall, latticed windows along one wall. They illuminated a long, richly patterned carpet, leading to wide desk - mahogany again - that was suspiciously void of clutter. Sandwiched between that and a tall-backed leather chair was a man, seemingly composed of hard edges and unadulterated middle age, and next to him, a distinctly younger fellow with a lieutenant's stripes. He had slick black hair, sallow features, and was bending down to hold a muted conversation with his seated superior. Grimhold stepped up before the desk and stood to attention.

"Captain Grimhold reporting, sir," he said.

Colonel Marcus slowly rose from the seat. "Patterson, step outside for a moment," he said to his adjutant.

The lieutenant collected some papers from the desk, and stalked along the carpet to the door, which he shut softly behind him. When they were alone, Marcus sagged wearily against the leather cushioning of his chair, though Grimhold remained rigidly to attention.

"You needn't be so formal, Jerome," the colonel grumbled. "I am a friend of your father's, after all."

"As you say, sir," Jerome replied, and eased his own stance. "On that subject, have you heard how he's faring?"

"The major isn't doing so well, I'm afraid. That unfortunate business with the dwarf persists, despite what we've done to slow down procedures. As a result, your father's position is in jeopardy, unless we can effect stronger measures." Marcus stood up again. "Care for a drink? Bradbury whisky. Single malt."

Jerome nodded, and accepted a small tumbler from the man. "Thank you, sir." They both took a sip, taking their time to cradle the taste. At length, Jerome took a gulp. "I was under the impression that you want my help."

"Yes. We want you to take up the major's position in our organisation, at least until we can get him in the clear. To be honest, we have been considering extending an invitation for a while now, as your father made sure we always kept an eye on you. Until recently, we've only nudged matters here and there, greased a few cogs of progress in that great machine that is the military hierarchy... congratulations on the promotion, by the way."

"Thank you, sir."

"Mmm. However, I think you'll find the benefits of these additional duties to be much beyond anything you've enjoyed so far."

Jerome stared thoughtfully into his drink. "I assume the penalties should I refuse would be equally great...?" he said, ponderously.

But Marcus just spread his arms wide, and smiled at him in a friendly fashion. "Why on earth would you even consider saying no?"

"Pardon me. It was just idle curiousity. I would be interested in any case, even if it weren't for the fact that it helps my father." Jerome sighed. "I accept, of course. But what do you need of me?"

"Someone close to the ground. Someone who can carry out our orders in the rapidly changing field without having to refer back up the chain of command, and who can perform the actual legwork. You'll act as a buffer between the rest of us and the results of these actions, but as I said, the rewards..."

"Indeed, sir. Anything specific in mind?"

He was answered by the ruffle of paper. Marcus pulled out a crisp sheet of the stuff, dipped his pen in the inkwell, and started to scratch away. "The lead investigator is someone we're currently working on, as it's a matter of some political finesse. However, there are a few key witnesses we want you to deal with. We can afford to be a bit more... crude in our methods with them. These two in particular."

The colonel quickly blotted the page and passed it over. There wasn't a great deal on it, but the contents caused Grimhold to frown, and Marcus gave him a strange look.

"Something the matter?" Marcus prompted.

"No..." said Jerome at last. "No. I just thought I may have encountered one of them before. I feel like I should remember."

"Something to think about, perhaps," replied the older man. "Commit the contents to memory as soon as possible, and then dispose of the paper. It would also be best if we kept communication between ourselves to a minimum in this troubled time."

"Yes, sir." Jerome took the cue, and nodded his assent.

"We're glad to have you, son," said Marcus. "And good luck."
    Last edited by Otto; 10-22-14 at 09:16 PM.
    Previous levels: I - II - III - IV - V