Music filled the air, punctuated with noisy chatter and laughter. The tone was more of a party than a battle. With several musicians and flowing food, it was to be expected. When a rich inventor throws money around like confetti, it is hard to maintain a sombre disposition. Rarely did the citadel breath with such life as today. Men and woman had come out to watch the battle touted as a clash of science against might and magic. The machine, The Heart of Steel, stood as representation of a new age. It did not thrive on magic as many constructs did, but instead on steam and spark. The battle was to show off the contraption, with many invited guests rich and prominent individuals from across Althanas. This construct could replace soldiers, perhaps even magic all together. At least, this was the thought of its creator.

Professor Rodderly was sitting close to the edge of the pit that filled the centre of the room. Large stone slabs rose outwards like giant steps to form row and row of raised seating. The pit was lower by several metres from the closest step with a thin wall rising four feet in front of the closest seats. In the pit the walls were thick stone, covered with a thin layer of grey paint. The pit was fifteen by fifteen metres and the floor covered by an inch of sand. Odd rocks of varying size and shape rose from the sand as if they had tumbled into the pit. The stones were the only break in the clinical setting. It had clearly been created to have the barest limitation of sight for those watching. Pressed again the wall below the Professor was Heart. The large contraption was draped with a red sheet finishing just above his feet. It was not yet time for the reveal.

“LLLLLAAAAAAADDDIIIIESSS AND GENTLEMEN!”

The cry echoed throughout the room and the music and people fell silent. The voice came from the presenter of the evening. The man was dressed in an immaculate black suit and top hat. His eyes shone brightly from below dark bushy eyebrows and a large moustache protruded from above his lips.

“It is my honour to present to you this evening. My name is the Amazing Herbert, or Herb to my friends. Now now, don't try and smoke me, I'm not that kind of herb!”

There was an awkward laugher from those gathered, although Herbert seemed unperturbed.

“The battle will start in just a few moments. Now would the first four contestants please take up positions in the ring? Go a head and climb down those ropes dangling from the side. Please, if everyone else could please take a seat we will get going shortly!”