They raced through the dark, dirty depths of Ettermire’s alleys, navigating tight turns and cramped corners. The child led the dazed youth by the hand, nearly dragging him despite not knowing where to go. Away seemed as good a direction as any. In the middle of their mad dash, she skidded to a stop so suddenly that Rayse bumped into her. Taische didn’t seem to notice. Her body pulled itself so far up she stood balanced on the tips of her toes, her head turned alertly, like a deer scanning for wolves.

Rayse momentarily snapped out of his haze, “What… Is this your power again? Did they find us?” He looked around, but there were no footsteps, no voices, nothing. Then, he followed the girl’s gaze as she looked up and saw a flash of light that blinded him for a moment, causing him to stumble backwards.

Something landed in front of the two, and just as Rayse opened his eyes, something hot and bright grabbed him and threw him against the wall. He felt arid air escaping his lungs and a new pain in his chest. He fell to the ground, clutching his stomach. The light faded and he looked up, seeing Taische standing in front of a fiery figure. He couldn’t make out what was inside the living bonfire. The ringing in his head returned, greater than ever, and he spent the next few moments clutching his head in pain.

“Finally found you,” growled the man in the flames. “We don’t have any time. Let’s go.” He realized that Taische wasn’t buying any of this. “Your mother sent me.” He lifted his hand, a ball of fire forming inside of it, pointing his palm at Rayse.

Taische flared, flames curling out from her body in a miniature mirror of the larger figure. “I’ll not let you touch him again,” she spat, taking a tone that could have etched steel. The man’s hand lowered and he regarded the girl, almost annoyed, almost puzzled.

Through an act of will, Rayse opened his eyes and dragged himself to his feet, ignoring his suffering. Whoever this was, he was here for the girl. He was an ally. He would help… He was here to help.

“Please!” Rayse pleaded. “My friend, he -” a hacking cough paused Rayse’s sentence, but he pressed on, his voice hoarse. “He died protecting her. I beg you, help me avenge him! Help me kill those pointy-eared bastards!”

The figure in the flames shook his head. “Sorry, not my problem. Let’s go, kid.”

Tasiche stepped back, raising her hands and flaring hotter and brighter. “No! Don’t touch me!”

The figure in the fires moved faster than the eye could see, snatching Taische up and engulfing her in the flames that surrounded him. Then both of them were gone. All that was left were wisps of fire that fell faintly on the ground.

Rayse sunk to his knees, clawing at the crumbling cobblestones in the road. Grief erupted like a long-dormant volcano, spewing forth red-hot rage. It burned in the back of his throat and sizzled in his eyes. He choked back tears and stood up, clenching his fists so tightly that his nails were digging into his skin. There was only one thing he could think of doing now.