The scholar clasped the lancer on the shoulder. “Come Creno, the task at hand can wait for now. I will show you to your quarters! Sleep will do you some good; I will carry on with the task at hand.” He guided the man out the door he had arrived through into the open Beinost air. The sun was beginning to set, and gray clouds threatened to bring an evening shower with the setting sun. The breeze carried the scent of salt and ocean as the two walked through the empty streets. The warehouse had been the closest to the shore, and the farther they got from the docks, the more crowded the streets became.

“I’ve been gathering people here for a while now, using the empty town as a staging center for my company works outside of Tarot interests. Now, I’m using my company’s profits to fund our current endeavor.” Several men and women hailed Vincent as the duo walked about. “As you can see, this place is no longer a ghost town.” By this point they had arrived to the town’s main plaza. Lights were ornately stung above, people were singing and dancing along with several men who idly played festive tunes. The entire town seemed to be filled with hope, hope of a new age about to dawn.

In the plaza, the largest building was a massive tavern, bearing a sign titling it as the “Aces High,” and the scholar gestured towards the door. The lancer entered first, and Vincent followed after him. Inside a plethora of people sat around, drinks in their hands and food on their plates. Several barmaids bustled about making sure people’s cups were filled and their spirits were high. A dwarf saluted Vince from behind the bar and tossed him a key from under the bar.

Turning over the brass key in his hands Vince eyed an inscription on its shaft. “Looks like you’re in room 12,” the scholar murmured handing the key to Creno. “Go ahead and make yourself comfortable, I’m going to grab a drink and head back to the warehouse to scour the manuscript for a bit!” He clasped the man on the shoulder once more.

“Good work, Creno.” He locked eyes with his underling and smiled. “You’ve practically handed us the key to solving this puzzle. Sleep well, and find me in the morning. There is much work to be done yet, and I fear that we have less time than we think.”