“Why’s someone like you in the Crimson Hand anyway?” Amari asked, leaning forward and chewing a roast potato as she pointed her fork toward her companion, waving the remainder of it to and fro in front of him. TThe man she’d often find herself enjoying her meals with when her Master was busy.

Noel jumped at her abrupt comment. His grey-blue eyes drifted away from her. He quickly ran a hand through his long black hair, tied back in a ponytail. His reply was a mixture of concern and embarrassment. “Miss Red…” He placed his fork down beside his plate. “That is a rather personal question.”

“And?” Amari prompted.

Noel picked up his fork and shoved a few forkfuls of peas into his mouth and started chewing, making noises as though he were enjoying the meal. Clearly avoiding the question. Amari sighed, leaning back in her chair. Perhaps she was too forward. As Noel ate, she glanced around the Crimson Hand mess hall, they were the only two there and sat opposite each other on the large wooden table. Noel was one of the few men who didn’t fear her after the atrocities that Amari had caused in this very room. The deaths of the Crimson Hand men, the macabre way she had carved out their eyes and served them in a soup of blood, vitae and gore. Noel was one of the few men who asked her why, and one of the few men who did not fault her for her actions. Amari admired that. She admired his honesty and his integrity. She admired his valour and loyalty. Just as much as she commended these traits, she also questioned them. It didn’t seem right to have such a just man within the ranks of literal human filth.

“You’re too good for this place…” Amari muttered bitterly, standing. She had lost her appetite. Whatever his reasons were, Amari didn’t like it. She didn’t like the thought of someone so….so...inherently good being tossed in with the rest of the lowlifes that comprised of the Crimson Hand militia ranks. Granted, he aided her - and he was the only person other than Madison she trusted, and the only person she felt remotely close to, so having him leave would be a burden on her heart, but she’d rather that than the alternative.

“So are you.”

His reply was so matter-of-fact, it almost threw her for a moment. “You don’t know the things I’ve done, Noel.” Amari whispered mirthlessly. She shoved her chair back under the table with a hard push. “I don’t appreciate that sort of insolence.” She spat at him.

Noel shot right back, unafraid of what Amari was capable of. “I’m not wrong! You’re Master Ulroke’s right hand! Yet you show remorse! Shit Red!” He slammed his hand hard against the table, and the plates and cutlery rattled. “You bury those you kill, you know he’d have you punished if he found out! Yet you still do it!” Noel stood abruptly, sending his chair skidding across the floor. He pointed an accusing finger at Amari. “That does NOT sound like the Crimson Hand I see every day. You say I don’t know?” He lowered his voice into a sneer, “I do know Red. I know all about the men you slaughtered, the children, the lewd shared pain sessions with Ulroke. I know all about your depraved torture methods.” Noel leaned across the table. “My hands are just as stained with blood, if not more, Red. Our deeds are not without fault.” Noel leaned back heavily sighing. “If you don’t appreciate my ‘insolence, do something about it.”

“Fuckin’ Aye…” Amari grumbled. His tirade didn’t enrage her, if anything it calmed her down. He was right. He knew the most about her, perhaps even more so than her Master. Her regular method of venomous, calculated words always failed on him, he’d just bite back. “You piss me of Noel.” She muttered, picking up their half finished plates.

Noel grabbed their glasses, grinning. “That’s my job, is it not?” The two headed toward the small kitchen to the left of the hall, continuing their general banter, as though their pointed words were never uttered.

“You know a lot about me Noel.” Amari continued, hands deep in a frothy sink of dishes. “I’ll ask again, why are you with the Crimson Hand? Is it a debt? Does someone have dirty information on you? Is Master Ulroke blackmailing you?” She wasn’t going to drop the subject. If he were being blackmailed she’d personally take care of it. She had taken a liking to him and she refused to let him be beaten down. Amari handed him the dripping dish and he began to dry it.

“You won’t let this go will you?” Noel asked. Amari shook her head. “I have….” He paused. “I have family. Not exactly, blood related. You know I was mostly raised on the street- I do my best to support the orphanage you see…this ain’t pretty work but it’s good money, and no one asks questions.” He paused. Shooting Amari a look. “most people don’t ask questions.”

“I’m not most people.” Amari chided with a smile. “That’s all I needed to know. Noel. If you’re here of your own volition then I won’t question you further.”

“Thanks.” He replied, relieved she wasn’t going to press the matter further.

They finished the dishes, and were about to head out; but as they left the kitchen they noticed a black clad figure leaning against the doorway.

“Master?” Amari seemed surprised. He had gone out, and wasn’t due back for another day and a half. His emerald eyes glanced between the two. “Am I interrupting something, pet?” Amari shook her head, “No.”

“Good, follow me.” He turned to leave. Amari glanced back at Noel giving him an apologetic look. She had to take care of Ulroke first and foremost. His presence held a power over her she still couldn’t fully fathom or control. Amari somehow….didn’t mind. Lichensith Ulroke was a cruel and commanding manchild, but he was honest.

Noel didn’t share the same sentiments as her, he watched as she left with the so-called leader of the Crimson Hand. “Tch...pathetic…” he muttered, following shortly after to retire to his own sleeping quarters.