Well then, that’s cool as shit.” Vince uttered, staring wide eyed at the nearly lethal projectile that had been thrown in his own direction. His sapphire eyes ran over the barrier, looking for any sign of damage. “I definitely want to use this for my new project.”

John reached upwards and yanked on the chisel, breaking the handle off. He humphed, reaching again for the metal bit, using his armor to provide a firmer grip on the chisel’s working end. He twisted, popping a chunk of the wooden ceiling out as the tool broke free. He stared up at the marred roof.

“Sorry ‘bout that, Artemis.”

“Yeah, well . . . I suppose we’ll have to take care of that by day’s end.” He scratched at the back of his head, staring up at the small hole in the workshop’s ceiling. “After all, I think a storm’s due this eve.” The two smiths turned their eyes back to Vincent as he turned the shield off.

“Why are you here, Vince?” John grunted as he crossed his arms.

“Aside from poking holes in my roof . . .” The other smith grunted as he turned back to his work.

“I need a shield.” The scholar stated flatly. “Well, I need this shield…”: he said waving the hand. “But without the arm.” He paused for a moment. “Well, more like…” Vince snapped his fingers and pulled out a roll of parchment from thin air. “I need this!”

“You have it.”

“Fuck you, you know what I mean,” the scholar quipped as he gestured for Artemis to take the schematic. “I can draw all the damn plans in the world, but I’m absolute shit when it comes to building it.”

“So you brought it here?” Artemis asked as he set down his tools. He reached for the design, his sharp eyes scanning the parchment. “You know, I’m not exactly an expert on this magicyte business that we found. I have a friend, a wizard, researching some of the ammunition shells we found. But we’re nowhere near understanding this stuff, even with the existing research we have on hand.” He rolled the design back up, extending it back toward Vincent. “I don’t think I can help with this . . . at least not yet, Emperor.” Artemis added the comment, guessing at the role the man played and his relationship to the behemoth of a man they both called friend. Vincent blinked for a moment before taking the parchment and cokcing his head to the side.

“That’s a pet-name I’ve never heard before. I didn’t realize you rolled like that, but okay. I’m open minded.” His face didn’t betray an ounce of surprise, instead his mind reached out to John.

<What the fuck did you tell him?>

<Not a thing, Vincent.>

<Where the fuck did he get the title ‘Emperor’ then?>

“I don’t know, boy! For all I know he’s psychic,” John said out loud.

“God damnit John.” Vince growled, turning to the giant. “Inside thoughts, outside words.”

Throughout the entire conversation, Bazzak Norlond had stood behind the counter of his workshop and watched this display, staring through narrowed eyes at the novelty of the scene. “You know Artie, I think I’m gonna take the day to meself. I’ll leave the shop in your capable hands. I need a drink . . . “ he added as he walked to the beermug shaped door, sliding it open. “Or seven.” As he started to slide the door shut, the trio in the room heard his last comment as he yelled, “And fix the durned roof!”

“So there is more to your friendship.” Artemis grinned at the two, realizing his comment had some effect on the situation at least. “Listen, if you want my help, we should probably start with a touch of honesty. What exactly is the link between you two, and those marks you each have?”

Vince turned and looked at Artemis, giving him a deadpan stare. “John is me, from the future.” The smith stared blankly at Vincent. “He’s my dad? How ‘bout uncle?” He turned and looked at John. “He totally could pass as my uncle, just give him a purple robe. You’d see the family resemblance.”

John rolled his eyes. “Have I told you you’re a fool today, Vincent?”

“Fuck you, I’m the Emperor. We don’t have a Fool yet.”

“So,” Artemis looked on, crossing his arms over his chest, “the Tarot is back after all.”