‘THWUMP’

The man fell to the floor and a final breath of air escaped cracked lips before he expired.

“Bit harsh, don’t you think Miss Red?”

Amari ignored Noel. She leaned down and rolled the dead man over. His exposed chest covered in burns and lacerations. The flesh of his upper right arm had been decayed, rotted and fetid. Amari wrinkled her nose. “You think?” She reached out and traced another line across his chest. His skin peeled apart, exposing thick ichor, already clotting. “You know I felt most of it too, right?”

Amari glanced over her shoulder at Noel - he stood dressed in similar attire to her own. Black boots, black cotton shirt. The only thing that differed from the two was his jacket, a light tanned brown. He had a small axe strapped to his back. His arms bulged as he crossed them over his chest, a disapproving look on his handsome facial features. “Aye, even so...his screams would have alerted half the Outlands.”

“That’s the point.” Amari muttered, as she searched his pockets til she found what she was looking for. A small folded map detailing the safest route through Dheathain. She glanced over it and shoved it in her own pocket. Amari stood and dusted her hands. “Perhaps the rest of them won’t fuck with us. Fuckin’ Dragon worshippers.”

“A quick death would have sufficed.” Noel muttered, approaching Amari’s side, giving the dead man a small kick to the side.

“To be honest, I’d have left well enough alone, but he wasn’t talking. Xenophobic Bastard. Now, we have a route - we have information on nearby encampments, and we know the cave where the tome is supposedly hidden.”

Noel sighed, “Remind me not to get on yer bad side. I don’t know who is worse. You or Master Ulroke.”

Amari shrugged, continuing down the forest lined path. “Master. Most likely. I’ve heard the shit he’s pulled.” She glanced over at Noel. “Unlike him, I ain’t gonna fuck off and leave my men as good as dead for my own personal agenda.”

“But you’ll poison them, burn them and and crack their bones till they die from pain?” Noel mused in a joking tone.

Amari smirked. “Something like that.” She shoved her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket. Evening was setting in fast, and soon behind it would be nightfall. Amari didn’t like travelling this far away from Salvar, especially with things being so delicate within the Crimson Hand right now. Still. She had her reasons, something this definite she just couldn’t leave. Her Master understood, and often let her have free reign. Still, Amari worried. Master Ulroke was a somewhat capable person, but she had made a promise to Madison - lately he had been more brazen, and she didn’t want him to sink into that lost darkness of the past.

“We been travelling together a while now, ey Miss Red?”

“Hmm?” Noel’s remark pulled Amari from her own wandering thoughts. “I suppose so. Why’s that?” Amari, as usual, jumped to the wrong conclusion. She turned her eyes away from him, trudging forward, quickening her pace. “If you gotta problem. Turn around and leave. I ain’t gonna fault you for it.”

“No. That’s not it. Miss Red- Red!” Amari had quickened her pace and Noel had to break into a jog to catch up to her. He placed an arm on her shoulder and forced her to turn around. “Fucking listen to me, Red!”

Amari turned, clearly confused. “What? If you ain’t gonna up and leave then what?”

“It’s the opposite.” Noel stated, shifting past her. “A few of the members have been talking, Miss Red and it’s about time you were involved in these conversations too.”

Amari turned and followed suit, “Yes.” She paused her conversation as they rounded the corner and headed deeper into the forest. A small cave emerged ahead, Amari gestured to it. “I want to damn well know what is going on within the lower ranks, but for now - let’s get settled. This book should be in the back of that cave system. We’ll discuss this tonight over a hot meal.”

Noel cracked a smile. “Damn. Can’t say no to your cooking.”

--------

They had ventured halfway into the cave before Amari began to grow dizzy, she wasn’t sure why but she felt exhausted.

“Red, are you ok?” Noel asked as he carefully trailed behind her, his arms ready to catch her if she fell.

“Mmm… let’s just...stop here…” Amari muttered as she pressed her back to the crystal imbedded wall. Sliding down till she hit the floor. There was something seriously wrong with her. Amari could barely see straight, and her breathing was ragged. Had it been something she ate?

Noel sat down next to her, he shifted his steeled gaze to to the ceiling which almost seemed to glow with a warm golden hue, it reminded him of Amari, when she was using her own energy for good, rather than serving Ulroke. “They’re beautiful, don’t you think?” Noel turned his gaze to Amari. “Miss Red?”

Amari was unconscious, her eyes half lidded and glazed, the normal golden sheen around her irises seemed to flicker. “RED!?” Noel shook her frantically but she was unresponsive, “RED? Shit...RED?” He checked to see if she was breathing, she was… but it was shallow. “Fuck…just...just stay here.” He grabbed the map from her cold form. “I’ll get help.”