They had parted ways, and now that they were away from Taka, Noel was returning to his usual calm self. The two sat in an inn, separate from the one the Ixian Knights took respite in. They were warming themselves by a fire on the lower floor in a quaint, uninteresting common room. Amari was running her hands along the surface of the wooden bound book. A book she had supposedly written so many years ago. “Do you think this contains the answers I’m looking for?” Amari asked Noel, as she rose her eyes to meet his.

Noel shrugged, “If it doesn’t, the only other option we have is is going straight to the source and finding another Ar’Tuel.” Noel smirked and added, “Or we could pull that demon out of your ‘friend’ he seemed to have the answers you wanted.” Amari shot Noel a glare that made the man shrink back in his chair. “What the hell do you see in the guy? He’s an Ixian Knight, you know Ulroke won’t like that.” Noel huffed, turning his gaze away from her. “Why don’t you two just fuck already so you can end whatever is going on between you.”

If Amari had the energy, she’d have gotten up and slapped Noel across the face for his remark, instead, she tried to focus her attention on the odd scribbles in the book. It was written in an odd, circular language. “He’s abstinate.” Amari said as she turned another page, “Not just from physical actions, but emotional too. Your jealousy is misplaced.” Amari stifled a yawn. Still feeling weak.

“But what about you? What do you feel for him?” Noel asked, his question less pointed than the last.

Amari sighed as she closed the book and held it close to her chest as though it were the most precious thing in the world to her. “Noel..please...I’m tired.”

Noel stood and approached the salmon pink chair she was resting on. He sat on its arm and pushed her hair away from her face. “You’re avoiding the question.” He continued to prod, much to Amari’s distaste. “And what of Ulroke?”

Amari shut her eyes, “I’m trying to figure out a lot of things right now Noel. I feel as though a great weight has been lifted and this fuzzy static has been cleared from my head. It’s like I’m alive again, not just alive but living. I don’t know what I feel for Taka. He’s done a great deal for me and I am indebted to him. As for Master Ulroke, I’ll deal with him when we return to the Sanctum. A ferry leaves tomorrow evening for Corone, we’ll board it and head back then. For now...just let me rest here.”

Noel watched as she slowly drifted off to sleep. He wanted answers, and he was going to get them. He knew Amari would never divulge her personal feelings, even when she wasn’t a blackened monster, she was very closed off. “Rest my Amari, I’ll be back by morning and you won’t know I have even left.”

Noel slid off the chair and out the door, into the night to seek either the ronin, or the witch.