His hand found the back of his neck, warm and beginning to develop the heat of an early burn as he finished speaking. Pressing tired fingertips into the notches between his spine, he traded glances with the incredibly charming Karuka, the vacant periphery, and his now-dirty shoes as he took a turn to listen. She had let him speak his peace, not interrupting as his temper bubbled right to the surface of his lips before offering her own perspective. With the stain of gunpowder still leaving a fresh scent in his hair, a chance to speak was the least he could give her.

How do you hide such a magnificent brain beneath that ludicrous twang? You’d think you were raised on one of the moons with that outrageous accent.

Despite his entertainment, Storm allowed his tongue to feel the pinch of his teeth as he gritted through and listened to the heartfelt logic of a mother, pleading desperately for the welfare of her beloved girl. Storm and Karuka could allow themselves to bounce between each other forever, but the complicated relationship was unfair and impossible for the child to process.

As the beautiful O’Sheean finished, Storm did something altogether out of character. He stood, placed his hands on his hips, and waited. He sought to choose his words carefully, wholly aware of how important his rebuttal would be. He looked deeply into the glistening aquamarines that shone beautifully within her tanned face, and took one more breath of the humid air before he licked his lips and began.

“I’m not good at it.” His voice wavered slightly as the weight of his words came off his chest. “I’m a terrible role model, an inexperienced caretaker, and probably too foul a human to deserve the warrant to oversee a goddamned chicken, let alone a child.” The wind hummed about him as Karuka’s face began to drop.

The electromancer continued, his chest puffing with a growing confidence as he spoke with a renewed resolution.

“I’m not good, and I know it, which is why I pushed you both away. You’re a perfect mother, and great for that girl. Your instincts are flawless, your judgment beyond reproach, and your history relatively spotless. We both know the warts I bring to the table, which is why I wanted to insulate her from me, to keep her away from the stain I leave on everything I touch.

“But I learned when I watched her that day that even with those warts, there are things I can deliver to Taische. I know I can help her, and there’s nothing I want more.” A smile spread on his face as he noticed Karuka’s eyes open a touch.

“I can teach her from my mistakes. I can teach her the elements that I know, and how to read people. I know the hearts of flawed men, because I have one. Most importantly, I can give her protection better than most. I can give her perspective. I can give her love.”

The last word tripped him a bit as he said it, his hand moving to his stomach as the words emerged. There was no hesitation; there was no second guessing his adoration. Taische had him wrapped around her tiny fingers, just like that damned horse was consumed to her bidding.

“I love that f*cking kid, Karuka, and I love you. You both make me better, even if that’s a light order to fill. Without you, I’m rudderless, and too damned dangerous to keep drifting. Let me drop anchor, and have a purpose to serve. As good as you are for me, I know I can be good for you.”

Too tense, wrap it up.

He ran his fingers through his hair as he smirked, too uncomfortable to avoid breaking the tension of the moment.

“Shit, at the very least, give me a place to spend all this money. Two women seem like a hell of a way to blow a fortune.”