The compound known as the Seventh Sanctum sat directly below them. Shadowed in the early morning light, the wooden structures and cabins surrounded by dense forest filled Amari’s heart with a heavy sense of dread. Beside her stood Taka; tall and proud, as a Ronin should be, his exterior unflinching and calm.

Amari turned her golden hued eyes toward him. The bitter cold winds picked at strands of his ivory hair and let them sway gently in the breeze. She took a deep breath and exhaled steam.

“Taka…” Amari’s voice weighed heavy with apprehension. She reached out and her fingers danced delicately over his gauntleted hands to interlock with his, finding a comfort she so desperately wanted to hang onto.

“You are not to set foot into the Inner Sanctum. I may hold sway within the place, but not so much so that I can allow a sworn enemy to the Crimson Hand wander free.” Her words were a heavy warning spoken with the steeled and heartless authority of one who could call herself the second in command.

His steel gaze never once left hers as he spoke with a concise inflection. “As Promised Amari-Chan, I will not put myself in harms way for the sole purpose of avenging you.” His vow was followed by a squeeze of her hand.

The warming gesture was welcomed but did little to alleviate the turbulence she felt. As a final goodbye to the man she had come to know the last few weeks, she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his cheek. His skin was cool and prickled at her touch. As far as the ronin was concerned, he’d see her again, but Amari knew better. This would be their final goodbye, for the wrath of Lichensith Ulroke was absolute. Even with her new found energy, her cleansed soul, and a sense of independent self worth, the assassin’s control ran deep in her veins and her psyche.

“Sah-ya-nora.” The woman poorly spoke in Akashiman, Taka’s native tongue, in a bid to set him at ease. With that final, gentle touch of skin, Amari was gone.

The cold, wet, snow sloshed into her boots as Amari dragged Noels corpse through the centre of the Sanctum, hefting the entirety of his weight over one shoulder; the thick coarse rope dug into her skin but she persevered. The other hand held a wooden bound book tight to her chest, the artifact that caused all of this, it was worth more to her than anything in the world.

Few people littered the grounds, it was too early for the roughians to be awake, and those that were knew well enough to keep to themselves rather than approach the redheaded woman. Most of them...

She was approached by Advencia, a small succubus whose curled golden locks bounced with every step she took. Her long ruffled dress trailed behind her in the wet snow, and her chest, as always, looked as though it would burst forth from the tight bodice around her torso. “I thought I smelt you.” She cooed, her tail flicking side to side. “It’s about time you came back~ “

Advencia was excited to see Amari’s return, and spoke in hurried excitement. “I’ve been busy! I’ve killed so many, I got into a fist fight with Calleus.” She stalked closer and gripped Amari’s upper arms tightly. “Look! Look! Not even a scratch on me. He’s sportin’ a black eye though!” Advencia finished with a melodic laugh.

“Advencia…” Amari said, exasperated. “Please not now… I have urgent business.”

Advencia pouted, her brows furrowing. “Mistress… what’s going on?”

Amari shoved the book into Advencia’s hands; the book was important, but Amari trusted the demoness, Advencia had proved herself not only loyal, but caring toward her. “I will explain later, right now It is very important you get this to Madison. Tell her I’m coming to see her soon. Don’t stop for anyone, not even Ulroke. Can you do this for me?”

Advencia looked up at Amari, noticing something different about her. Her entire being seemed to be brimming with energy, she even emitted a faint glow in the dim morning light. Advencia could practically taste the divide in it. The woman was in a very precarious state, a push in either direction could drastically change how she functioned and that both concerned and excited the demoness.

Advencia stepped closer toward Amari. She was never able to feed off someone by just being in their presence before, and it was exhilarating. “I will Mistress, but she is no longer here, she is in Tirel.” She carefully took the book in her hands. “However I will do this for you… The hand is here for you.” Her icy eyes darted to Noels’ body behind Amari. Now seeing at least in part, why Amari was teetering on a dangerous slope. “I’m sorry for your loss… He was loyal to you, because of him many of us see you as our leader, and no longer Ulroke.” Advencia held the book tight to her bosom, further accentuating her assets. “You know how dangerous he can be…” Advencia met Amari’s gaze, “Be careful.” She turned and headed toward Madison’s research labs, flowing white dress trailing behind her.

The book of the Ar’Tuel, her origin, was safely on its way to be decrypted, it was one less thing Amari had to worry about. She breathed a small sigh of relief watching Advencia before she disappeared round the corner of a building.

Now Amari had to tend to Noel’s deceased form, thanks to a constant stream of magic, his body had yet to rot or decay. Amari turned and kneeled by his side, she gave him a once over to ensure there were no abrasions or lesions on his body. He looked so peaceful, almost as if he were just sleeping. It still hurt to think that he had died, even more so to think she had come all the way here, risking Taka’s life in doing so…. Only to find out that the one woman who could bring him back had left the Crimson Hand. Amari felt guilty, the man had gone insane due to magicite poisoning, blinded by his rage. If he hadn’t of gone deep into the cave to retrieve the book, he would still be here now.

“You’ve been nothing but loyal to me, and look where that landed you…” Amari whispered as her hand danced over his forehead. She then checked his pockets and sure enough, there were still a few shards of magicite. Amari swore as she threw them to the snow, her hand instantly burning at the contact.

“And what is this?” The rich, velvet voice was all too familiar as Lye reached down and scooped up the crystals with a gloved hand. “Scarlet, care to explain?”

Shit, he came outta nowhere fast.

“It’s….Magicite…” Amari said tersely, not wishing to explain it further, she diverted his attention. “As for Noel, he fell in battle. I wanted to get him to Madison, but… I hear she has gone to Tirel...” Amari stood up and stepped forward to pull Noel further, but she was stopped by Lye.

“Why?” The tone of his voice grated on Amari. She knew it's condescending nature, and that it’d be followed by -- “Noel was a worthless asset to the Hand. He’ll serve better as a corpse.”

“No. He was worthless to you Ulroke. He was a loyal compatriot and servant to me.” Amari gave a heavy sigh, it had all been for naught. She doubted she’d be able to haul Noel all the way to Tirel. She wasn’t even sure where it was. “I won’t tolerate you tarnishing his name.”