It was strange how such a simple game could evoke such emotion from a group of people around a table. Gnarl switched between great highs and lows as he won and then lost terribly. Money had never meant that much to him, but beating a man he held such a distaste for drove him on to succeed.

He cheered when he won, he frowned when he lost, and more often than anything, those frowns weighed him down. This was supposed to be a moral victory for himself, but Hasen was so good, so clever to understand when to fold and when to continue. As Gnarl watched his pile dwindle, he eventually got up for a loo break.

"I'll be right back." He groaned. His displeasure clear as he huffed to leave the room.

"Do not worry Gnarloc, even the best need to learn to lose against me." Hasen laughed as he leant his chair back on the rear legs. "Left down the corridor, third on your right."

"Thanks." Gnarl smiled dejectedly, the thought of pushing Hasen backwards so he bashed his head on the wall behind became an urge to which he didn't want to resist.

The house was huge compared to anything Gnarl had experienced before, so after relieving himself and looking back down the corridor where he came, it felt like another place entirely. So many doors, so much space filled with nothing but a few fancy paintings and pretty desks that held the odd candle. Gnarl paused by the next door as a few drunken words echoed out from behind it, the guards of the estate were having their own drunken fun in the other room. It was time to move on, but it was the name, Letti, that forced Gnarl to pause in his tracks.

"Yeah, I'd lift her legs up high and make her beg for it!" The voices laughed and chuckled as Gnarl clenched his fist. "Shame were here on duty tonight, she's alone we could be banging her silly!"

Gnarl took another deep breath, the alcohol he had already consumed seemed to raise his temperament considerably. He told himself twice, three times, to walk away and ignore the drunken idiots that would say anything when they thought they were alone. There was no need to cause a stir right now, not while Ghello was alone in the other room.

Forcing himself to walk away Gnarl returned to the room, sat down and awaited the dealing for the next round.

The cards came round after another Hasen win, and as each card landed before Gnarl, their eyes met as if Hasen was building up to say something. Gnarl kept quiet, he hated being toyed with, but not only was he outnumbered here, he was at Ghello's trust to be on his best behaviour - it would be a shame to ruin that trust now.

"So, Gnarloc. It's funny because I researched you on our records before tonight." Hasen kept the corner of his eye on Gnarl's reaction as he played. "Raise."

"Yeah? What's your point blondie?" Gnarl matched Hasen's play. "Match."

"I mean, I tried to anyway." Hasen gave a sarcastic smirk. "However, I couldn't find you anywhere. Like, you're working on our land without being on our ledgers. Raise." Hasen acted calm, but his tone of his voice raised a curiosity to where he was going with this statement.

Ghello folded out of the game and kept quiet. He hadn't needed to mention Gnarl before, and since Gnarl resided with them and didn't get any extra pay he hadn't considered this a problem.

"No, I guess you wouldn't find me on there." Gnarl stared back intently. "Match."

"You realise I need to know the name or everyone working on my father's land? This isn't a charity." Hasen's usually calm eyes became piercing as he stared back. "Call."

"Hasen." Ghello interrupted. "Where are you going with this? Gnarloc has done nothing wrong."

"Silence!" Hasen stood up and held his hand up to Ghello. The guards around the room looked a little twitchy, but none raised to their feet. "You see, I don't like foreign miscreants coming onto my land without coming through my family first. Now don't get me wrong, you've caused no trouble and worked hard... At least, I am told. Yet, this is against my regulations and I'll be fining you. Two hundred gold to make up for your lack of introduction."

"Hasen, please... What is this all about?" Ghello shot up to his feet, angry and confused as to what seemed like a sudden outburst. "I can't afford this, not on the wages you provide."

"Control yourself, Ghello. I'll dock two-thirds your pay until it's paid off." Hasen's brow furrowed with frustration to them both. "However, I could halve the fine if your daughter comes work for me. I can always do with more servants, especially pretty ones."

"You forget yourself, Hasen!" Ghello's demeanour suddenly changed, and the quiet man suddenly became bold and strong. "You're father would be ashamed. My family has worked here for years, generations, and we have never been asked to provide our daughters as payment for a child's argument."

"Child's argument?" Hasen spat down at the table with disgust. "You would insult your employer? Your land owner, and superior?"

"I will speak to ya father." Ghello's presence was impressive, and he knew what he could and couldn't get away with. In his anger, his accent even started to show through. "See what he thinks of ya antics here tonight! Come on Gnarloc, we are no longer welcome."

The room fell silent, but the guards parted and both Ghello and Gnarloc left the house promptly. There was nothing else to be said.