“Nothing?” Nicolette asked, her face remaining a stoic mask.

“I mean nothing. Like, not even rocks.” Vince exclaimed. “It’s just an empty cave.” Nicolette found herself charging forward to follow up on this claim, but her guardian grabbed her by the shoulder.

“Letty I think we have bigger problems.” The chaperone gestured up to the hill they had crossed on their way to the shrine. A small group of fifteen or so people stood at the top, torches lit. Presiding at the front seemed to be the judge, made most noticeable by the large horse he was sitting atop. “We were followed.”

“Mister Cain.” Letty shouted as she turned around. “It looks like the court date just got pushed forward.”

The group began their descent down the hill, torches casting sinister shadows as they walked. Xander seemed to be on guard, hand on his sword, ready for a fight if it came to it. Nicolette knew better, she’d seen what Vincent was capable of.

She was afraid for the judge and his men.

After what felt like ages, the judge was in shouting distance, and the group stopped. “Ms. Morgan!” He boomed. “Would you please tell me why your client’s cell is empty?”

“We were investigating his claims.” The young attorney replied coolly. “As it turns out there is nothing in the cave.”

“Oh really?” One of the man shouted angrily. “You’re telling us our oldest myth is a-“ Nicolette heard a loud snap behind her as suddenly the night turned to dawn and a blinding light shone behind her. The group turned and gasped as Vince stood there, crystal orb in hand as the entire cave was illuminated and left empty.

“The cave is…” The group murmured in awe.

“Empty.” Nicolette finished their statement for them. “Mr. Cain claims the item used to seal the cave in the first place is a…family heirloom and wishes it returned to him.” She strode to the judge and peered up at him. “I assume you have no issues?”

The judge fidgeted in his saddle for a moment, uncomfortable by the demonstration of magic. “I do believe that the town shouldn’t have any problems…” he paused for a moment and sighed. “The Judgment rests its case.”