Outside the gates, listening to Leon give us what little information he had, I wondered at what suicide mission I had willingly joined. It surprised me a little that the sky did not reflect the dark actions going on in this country. I had expected a dreary day with clouds pregnant with cold rain just waiting to fall upon us. Perhaps a little fog thrown in, to add the fear of what could not be immediately seen. Instead, a beautiful sky stretch over head, dotted once in a while with clouds that looked like nothing more than fluffy cotton. Leave it to Fate and the weather to throw a person off their stride and play a joke on your. Then again what did I except? It’s not as if the weather could change from the few steps it took to leave the city.

The sound of the gates finally shutting behind us sounded like a death knell. I suppressed the shiver of apprehension that clawed its way up my spine. That settles it, there is no going back. I glanced at the rest of my group and wondered for a moment how we were to survive our mission. I found my self staring to the west of the city, the particular itching, skin crawling sensation I get around demonic things was the strongest from that direction. Glancing back at the rest of my group I set out, following the sensation. I wonder if they’ll notice that I left the group.

Too preoccupied with my thoughts to accurately judge the feelings I was following I rounded the sheered face of a large hill and found myself face to face with a small group. My nerves shrieked and jangled at the edge of my perception and I wished for a moment that I could turn it off. I jerked my body back into cover before I fully thought about moving. I discovered my falchion in hand. It took me a moment to go from panic to calm; I ignored the dark voice in the back of my head that sang at the thought of bloodshed.

For a heartbeat I stilled, holding my breath and listening over the sound of my heart for the group. From the sound I gauged that they were moving for the opposite side. I guess if your body is already dead you don’t really care about stealth that much. Releasing the breath slowly, I reached inwardly for the vampiric side of me that hovered just beneath the civilized surface of my mind. It came to me eagerly, altering my body as it always did yet puzzlingly it left me fully aware of myself; stopping short of taking over my mind as it normally did. Slitting my eyes against the bright light of day, I slowly edged over and glanced around the edge.

I was startled to see a human looking zombie standing there. I was ashamed of the startled noise that came from me. My blade just barely caught the edge of the zombie’s sword, blocking what most likely would have killed me. Baring my teeth at the zombie I slashed out with my other hand and took its eyes. With the pressure off my falchion I was free to kick at the hand wielding the blade. The other creatures of the group that I thought had gone ahead reappeared. Just great, walk right into an obvious trap. I think my time among the Moontae must have damaged my brain. Now would be a great time for some help. Backing away, I stared at the huge eye in the center of a zombie that always stayed at the back of the group. What in the nine levels has Xem’zund done to that creature?