Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile

A New Proposal on Judging

Well, I read the entire judging thread in "Your Word", and lots of good points were brough up. I think the issue with judging in Althanas is due to a series of connected issues:
    • Althanas administration grossly underestimates what they ask from in their judging volunteers.
    • Judging is perceived as a thankless job.
    • Judging is no longer perceived as an honor, but rather a duty.

1. Althanas administration grossly underestimates what they ask from in judging volunteers.

WANTED

Judges!
    Must be skilled writers, assessed as creme de la creme from a crop of very good writers. Must be willing to commit to an enormous, endless stream of work. Must be willing to be consistent, fair, patient, and dilligent.
    If you get tired, take a fucking hike, we don't need you. There's plenty more great writers where you come from that would rather do this.

Now certainly I exaggerate for effect, but I'm not long off. Hence massive turnover being viewed as healthy.

2./3. Judging is perceived as thankless / it is not an honor but a duty.

It appears that at any given time, there are roughly 3 or 4 judges who are good and are working dilligently. They strive to maintain a high standard and work to keep the volume down.

Here's the problem: there's also about 20 other judges who aren't doing dick at any given time.

I think we need to figure out who -REALLY- wants the job. Not more than 3 or 4 people. We need to make sure that they are the people judging, and that they are capable. We need to stop just hiring more when more are needed, and remove judges who are not working.

If the entire judging staff was reduced to only a select few, that select few quickly gains a huge bump in prestige. They are empowered; they are the decision makers.

Dilution needs to be dealt with. If there are only a few judges, their respective input becomes MUCH more valuable, and their standing in Althanas is more highly sought after. Tournaments could be run to determine the winners ALLOWED to be judges, because people should WANT the job. When almost anyone who wants the job is granted access, there is no longer prestige associated with the power entrusted.

I know this isn't foolproof, but I firmly believe that to re-establish productive judging, we need to redefine the judging role and re-establish it as a true privilege, acknowledging the judges as being more clearly delineated as the "Chosen Few".

Oh, and hi. Hope all is well. Good to see you, and what-what.

EXP: 25,405, Level: 6
    Level completed: 78%, EXP required for next level: 1,595
    Level completed: 78%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,595
    GP

Name
    Kor

Ha, is it just me or does this seem pretty random? I'm not trying to undermine your call for productive judging, but there's not a backlog right now, with the exception of a few threads who are all requesting the same judge.

EDIT: Whee, I guess I didn't really address any of your points.

When almost anyone who wants the job is granted access, there is no longer prestige associated with the power entrusted.
    Actually, when people submit an application, it has to pass through a debate of all staff. People get turned down all the time, and applications are really put through the ringer. You really can't get into a moderator position for just having plain enthusiasm in your application. Granted, being nonchalant also counts against, but not just "anyone" is let in. Even well known players.

As for "20 judges who do dick", I haven't really seen that. Everyone on the judging staff tries their best to work their duties around their own real lives and characters that they want to nurture on here. I think we've got a great staff right now, and I can't really think of anyone on it who doesn't do work. Except maybe me. I work in spurts, like an orgasm.
    Last edited by None So Blind; 05-25-08 at 05:50 PM.

A Tale of Power, Hate and Second Chances.

--The Desert {70}
    --Lost, Confused and Far From Home {54}
    --Paradise Lost {92.5}
    --Falling Orchids{75}
    --Dysphoria {In Progress}

Hypocrite and Bitch
    EXP: 17,330, Level: 5
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next level: 2,670
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,670
    GP

Name
    Serilliant
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.75 meters / 70 kilograms
    Job
    Merchant

It seems to me as if your two points (or rather three points organized into two subheadings) conflict. Your first issue is that we expect too much, and then the second issue is that we should expect more?

Perhaps I'm missing what your distilled point is. If it is merely that we need to reevaluate the current staff, I agree. However we are currently short 1 staffing administrator which puts the breaks on such projects. If there is more that you are suggesting, however, could you possibly rephrase your ideas?

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    What I've noticed is that it tends to cycle. Judges who work hard are at high risk for burn out, simply because they perceive that there's no one else to do the job, so they work hard to keep the backlog down because backlog is stressful.

I remember that at one time, it was Letho and Advent doing most of the work. Then I came on staff, and it was Letho and Witchy. For a while after I got into judging, there were three or four of us who took most of the threads. For a while it was me, Manda and Witchy, and then it was me and Shyam. Now it looks to be mostly Numbers and Raelyse, and eventually they'll cycle off and be replaced by other, competent judges. I know that I'd rather see people cycle on and off staff and judging than get too fed up and say "screw this" after a while. I remember that I really enjoyed doing it for a while, because despite all the threads you come across that make you want to brain yourself on your own keyboard, there is the occasional truly great one, and the rare thank you PM that makes it worthwhile. But then it just got to be too much work with too many anti-thank you notes, and pretty soon you don't want to write, much less even look at people.

While I agree that it would be good to have long-lasting, hard-working judges on the site, I don't know if there's really a feasible way to accomplish it. And our staffing director is MIA, which makes getting new judges on staff somewhat difficult. -_-*
    Last edited by Karuka; 05-25-08 at 07:29 PM.
    The Karu knows.

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    And our staffing director is MIA, which makes getting new judges on staff somewhat difficult.
    Maybe we need a new staffing director... just a thought.

Good points, Storm. I don't exactly cherish the idea of "cycling off" the staff or getting burned out, but hell, I already feel my desire to write waning. I really don't think that our system should promote that.
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    I think a good way to solve most of those problems is to offer moderators substantive rewards, Storm.

Check here for our previous discussion on the matter.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

EXP: 21,045, Level: 6
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 5,955
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,955
    GP

Name
    Sarah Dahlios
    Race
    Revanian Vampire (Mizami)
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'6" and you can guess for weight because she ain't telling...
    Job
    Thief

Or perhaps make their opinion count, or once again segregate the mods.

Saying that any mod can do any job creates the problem I see on the boards now. The jobs that no one wants to do, certain people force themselves to do, not because they want to, but because they know it has to be done and do it. While other people do what they want, or even nothing.

Before you even open that can Dirks, lets get the work done without forcing mods to cycle out every few months from burn out. Whats the point of having the system, when the people its designed for leave before they can really benefit from it?
    You look in the mirror, but someone else looks back. You remember a life you never had, one that cannot be yours. You are the piece that does not fit, you don't belong in this game. The board has been knocked over, you shall be swept away...

1/2th Of Althanas' Favorite Relationship 2006 (Rheawien / Lavinian Pride)
    1/3rd Of the Most Interesting Storyline 2006 (Dissinger / Liliana Ambria / Lavinian Pride)

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    Sorry, had a few ideas in my head yesterday and they came streaming, so I can rephrase if needed.

None So Blind: Perhaps I didn't introduce myself properly, but then I didn't think I had to. I'm no rookie anymore. I was a judge for over 2 years, and worked on that "ringer" that you speak of (which is far from as scientific as you imply). Your claim that there is no backlog would hold more water were there not LITERALLY hundreds of unclaimed threads in queue. Perhaps I'm looking at that list incorrectly, or they are not removed after judgement. Otherwise, wtf.

The "20 judges not doing dick" is something I've seen firsthand. For a long time, I was one of the few that was really busting ass to keep the wait time down. After that, various conflicts (my job, my marriage, my house) took priority and I became one of those judges not doing dick. It's an easy trap to fall into.

Serilliant: There are two cultures here, and it's evident in both the thread Max linked to and the offspring of that, the "Let's pay judges in EXP" thread that was eventually locked due to fire and brimstone. One is the voice of the people, the other is yours. It's not so much a difference of values as it is a perspective issue. When the administration is so quick to remind everyone that judges are a highly replaceable role, it undermines the value of these judges tremendously.

It's also simply not true. This site is highly dependent on a small core of ultra-skilled judges, in particular Shyam (who I am convinced is an alien with magical speed readerish powers). Over time, various conflicts come up that either burn out the judge or restrict the judge's power.

Here is the big problem: historically, instead of dethroning a judge no longer capable or willing to judge prolifically, we allow them to stick around and linger while we also hire someone new. This creates a mass of judges, and that isn't useful when one judge only scores a thread once a year. The active judges are left to look at the long queue and the list of "active" judges and wonder why they are forced to carry a huge burden while other layabouts carry the same title.

Max, I agree, but have a different proposal. The "Judge" title carries no clout anymore, and thus the demand for the Judge position from players has plummeted. It really IS a wonderful job if you have time for it, and it obviously is something that requires significant skill and time to execute.

I think there should NEVER be more than 3 - 5 judges, and these should only be the very best of all applicants. If there are only a few, and there is a new prestige afforded the role, I think Althanas can reasonably expect more out of the position, and reap benefits from the realignment. I think a lot of competition over who is ALLOWED to be the judge is healthier than the huge turnover of people who happen to fill the role of competent and willing.

ברוך אתה אדוני אלוהינו
    EXP: 9,299, Level: 4
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 4,701
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,701
    GP

Name
    Alma Waterstone
    Race
    Human (Q'Doshi Sinai)
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Russet
    Build
    5'4" / 129 lb.
    Job
    Witch

View Profile
    I'm sorry Storm, but since when are you capable of viewing the modcp? What you're likely referring to is the Judging Requests forum in the Mod section, and I'm not entirely sure those threads are affected by what we do in the CP. Especially now that we've gone through an update of the system.

There, really, is no backlog. A couple of threads by Godhand are all that remains, and that's only because he stubbornly requested Shyam (that alien you spoke of who apparently can read things at light speed, but has been gone, except for a brief visit, for MONTHS). We're doing fine.
    Current Threads
    Clean and Clear (Solo)

Recently Finished Threads
    Through Forge and Flame (Solo, 77)
    The Rubric: Remeberin Garthabel (1)
    The Memory Man (Closed to Ataraxis, Twylith, and Chucklecut, 68)
    The Fated Embrace (Closed to Vortimo, NSFW, 51)

Starslayer and the Mad King
    EXP: 48,726, Level: 9
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 5,274
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,274
    GP

Name
    Skie dan Sabriel/ Avery Nito
    Race
    Moontae
    Hair Color
    Black/Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue/Green
    Build
    tall and slender

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Veritas View Post
    None So Blind: Perhaps I didn't introduce myself properly, but then I didn't think I had to. I'm no rookie anymore. I was a judge for over 2 years, and worked on that "ringer" that you speak of (which is far from as scientific as you imply). Your claim that there is no backlog would hold more water were there not LITERALLY hundreds of unclaimed threads in queue. Perhaps I'm looking at that list incorrectly, or they are not removed after judgement. Otherwise, wtf.

The "20 judges not doing dick" is something I've seen firsthand. For a long time, I was one of the few that was really busting ass to keep the wait time down. After that, various conflicts (my job, my marriage, my house) took priority and I became one of those judges not doing dick. It's an easy trap to fall into.
    I know who you are, dumbass. I've been around six years myself. It might help your point that moderators should get more respect if you didn't go attacking one, trying to throw around clout that your points are infallable and nothing has changed for the better since the days when you stopped doing stuff behind the scenes.

The ModCP is telling me that the only things in the judging queue are two threads claimed/requesting Call Me J, one claimed by Advent Wings and one claimed by me. Nothing unclaimed. Where you're getting these hundreds of threads is beyond me.
    Sometimes love looks like torture

List of my alts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast