Camera Obscura Operator

Level Zero - Oh Lydia!

Name: David Waters
    Race: Human
    Hair Color: Salt and Pepper
    Eye Color: Brown
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 196 lbs
    Occupation: Photographer, Scientist, Shopaholic and Late Blooming Adventurer

Personality: David is a man who has been calm throughout his entire life, living modestly with absolutely no whim or dream more complete than the development of the camera. While successfully completing the invention was the high point of his life before the death of his wife and children, now that he finds himself aging and alone, something has struck him deep inside. A need to not die quietly in his bed, a man of age and intelligence. Armed with his invention, a way to preserve moments and memories that will be lost upon his death, he seeks to compile a book on the world. He is of a curious and incessant nature now, driven to the point of obsession in his new quest. While at one point he was a trusting sort, feeling that if a man or any other race, for that matter, gave no reason for suspicion, none was needed. Now he has blossomed into a rather paranoid xenophobe, though he tries to hide it. After all, what would poor Lydia think to see him so rude?

Appearance: Beyond his scruffy appearance, hair gone too long without a cut and grey dominating the temples and spotting beyond, David keeps his face unshaven. His face is crossed with wrinkles from laughter and worry of long years spent in Salvar. He wears well fitting trousers that had been a gift from Lydia last yule, tucked into a pair of thick boots. His shirt is a long sleeved white button up of thickly woven cotton, the cuffs usually unbuttoned and sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He wears a golden wedding band on his left hand and usually has a pipe in his mouth.

History

A Letter from David Waters for his landlord, Mrs. Abigail Burnswyck, two days before his departure from Salvar.

My dearest Mrs. Burnswyk,

For many years I have been in your keep at the small cottage in Northstar, Salvar. Those long years deserve far more notice than this letter and the bare knowledge of a week's time, but I am afraid that I must go. While you will find the rent for the rest of this month and the next sitting upon the bedroom dresser, I feel as if that is not the lot of what I owe you. In fact, many has been the night where you have come to offer a hot soup or pastries to my grieving and often hungry stomach, and your husband so graciously helped me to pack up Lydia's things to donate to the women in town, and you have asked of my work and of the equipment that sits in the drawing room. I have been very neglectful in my duties as a storyteller. In this goodbye to you and your generous family, I feel I must amend that.

In my youth, I wanted to be an artist. I believe the day I decided that was when I met my dear Lydia. You see, we were childhood sweethearts. She grew up not far from me, and our parents were both self-educating people. Even in the small farming community in which they were born and raised, they found time between the hard work of keeping anything growing in this desolate wasteland to visit Knife's Edge, and the great library that can be found there. When Lydia and I were old enough to be trusted not to be a destructive force in the library, we were taken along. The car ride was strange. I was perhaps seven years old at the time, just coming out of a period where I thought girls to be rather weak and thus useless as playmates. Yet, I could not deny that this creature of only a year my younger was quite fetching.

Within the great halls, she found herself a picture book. In it, were drawn the most lifelike images of flowers from exotic Raiaera. The land of the elves was displayed in graphite and ink before us, but still somehow managed to convey the beauty in all the monotone. Every time we went back, she would look at that same book over and over. I knew that if I wanted to impress her, I would need to draw beautiful things myself. The library opened up a world of study. Berkharn from Radasanth, the portrait of Denebriel from right here in Salvar as done by Pirernio. The great masters of art had their finest works copied in the books, expounded upon by critics and scholars. Even the most ordinary still life paintings that were hung around the house became focuses of my very soul. I begged my father for coal and paper, to learn to write so I could read the biographies of these men of artistic genius.

Learning to read brought me more knowledge than just of the lives of the men I admired. In the library, perusing something to read while Lydia studied the flower drawings and mother and father were reading books published out of the Schools of Magic in Raiaera, I came across something wonderful. I don't know why I picked out this particular book, after all it was far removed from anything that had interested me before. However, I found in my hands Newest Trinkets from Alerar. They were more pamphlets than books, all collected together as they came in, and as I wandered away from the shelf, opening my sheaf of paper and perusing diagrams and theories, something caught my eye.

The Camera Obscura.

Of course, at this time the camera obscura was far more primitive than the mechanism you've seen in my home. This was merely a box with a system of mirrors and paper that would transfer and project a small image of what you were looking at onto the paper so that you could trace it. The end result was a perfect drawing, proportional and detailed, of your subject. Of course it all depended on the right light, and quite a bit of assembly and patience, but I saw it as my chance. Fate had moved my hand to take this, Destiny pulling me down the road to Lydia's heart. By now I was fourteen, and quite interested in seeing my budding artist's skills win her heart. After all, for seven years she had had mine.

Using the diagram, I built my own camera obscura, and instead of looking for biographies when we visited the library, I obsessively studied Alerian mechanics. The images I drew with it weren't as perfect as I had imagined when I first set out to build one, and my artistic ability was not yet such that I could draw Lydia the perfect, beautiful flowers that she so admired in art. My own research, coupled with what I was learning from Alerian inventors who were publishing their works, I began to make improvements. Ten years went by.

My parents were firm believers in arranged marriage, even among the poor. So were Lydia's. After such a long friendship, perhaps it only made sense that we were to be married. I could not have been happier, knowing that I would get to spend my life with this frail, beautiful thing. The day before our wedding, Lydia wrote me a letter. Despite how awful her spelling was, for she wasn't much to pay attention to her lessons, choosing to daydream instead, I managed to read it. She admitted that she'd been pleased with the arrangement as well, and had grown to love me dearly over the years. Things could not have been more perfect. And on our wedding night, I gave her a wedding gift that I had been working on, in a way, since the moment I met her. A perfect picture of a spring lily.

All went well until the pregnancies. Each time, we lost the babies. When William was finally born, the midwife told us that it had been too hard on Lydia. Between all the miscarriages and the final rough labor, another pregnancy would kill her. That was fine with us. We had our baby, and we moved from our parents home, here, to rent this house from you.

It was by no history in our last home that the misfortune came to befall us. Instead, it was my fault, through dealings here. You see, when we moved here, I had heard about a new form of camera coming from Alerar. This one didn't just project the image to be traced. It put it down on paper more detailed than any artist could be. And it stayed. It was easy to try and ignore. After all, the articles did involve talk about alchemy, the science of the wizards. It seemed, though, the longer I woke up every day to look at the picture I'd once drawn for my wife, the more I could spot little mistakes, or see just how unrealistic it really was. I wanted to give her the image of a real lily. I wanted something better to show that after all the years that were going by, I still felt passionately about her. We were in our thirties now, our baby was walking. I made the mechanical improvements and changes that would be needed to my old camera obscura box. I imported yellow glass from Fallien. I began perusing catalogues from alchemists, talking to a local orcish merchant.

The orc was a bit of a problem. The special salts I needed were expensive enough, but the vermilion reduction that came in iron jars - called mercury among the alchemists - cost an arm and a leg. I thought the orc was being genteel when we worked out a payment plan. I had my chemicals, and the equipment. The first picture I'd taken was of my wife and child. The plate is still in the dresser, should you like to see it. With the years it's faded here, darkened there. To take it with me would only spell it's faster demise, I fear. One day I shall probably be back for it, so please do not throw it out.

As you know, Mrs. Burnswyck, I have never missed my rent for you. Food was kept on the table for my family, and I worked hard to try and keep it like that and pay the orcs what I owed them. We dealt with them for years, and I thought I knew them. I underestimated their cruelty. I missed one payment, and they struck as if they had been in battle with me. I came home to find my wife and child dead, my house torn asunder. My camera was broken. The perpetrators had taken their business elsewhere, and no justice was ever brought about. I know you, personally, have seen my grief. I apologize if it has been any burden. You will find that I have repaired the house to the best of my ability. I've also repaired most of my camera.

It was perhaps the knowledge that I could not remain here, drowning in sadness, that brought me to this decision. While not elderly, I am old, and I have not led the adventurer's life. This could very well be my last year upon this world, but I would like to spend it doing something for Lydia. I think she would like it if I were to publish a book of pictures of the beautiful things I've seen around the world. She might even just want me to have seen the beautiful things in the first place. All I know is my beautiful, gentle wife would not have wanted me to stay like this, surrounded by ghosts I could not chase down.

And know I know I've taken too much of your time, my dear friend. I do hope your next tenants treat you well, and perhaps one day I shall see you again. Give my love to your husband and children.

David Waters
    Skills

Photomagi
    -David can unknowingly subtly enchance the lighting of an area. This is most useful for photography with the camera obscura, where he can almost always come up with the perfect light for his pictures. This skill is considered above average.

Artist's Eye
    -David notices little details in a scene a little better than the average person would.

Equipment

Camera Obscura - A home built primitive camera/darkroom box. It is quite bulky and while it is portable in a sense, carrying it in it's pack is cumbersome and does not allow for the additional weight of armor. Currently made of oak and iron and cotton. Glass pieces are broken. Cannot be sold.

Silver plates - 2 Silver Plates, treated with iodine vapors from East Neamh Chemist company. They are useless without the other ingredients for photograph making. Cannot be sold.

Do you know my name?
    EXP: 38,033, Level: 7
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 5,967
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,967
    GP

Name
    Jame Whitizard-Kaosi
    Race
    Half Dragon
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    6'5" medium build
    Job
    Knight

Would you explain to me a bit about how this camera works. We generally don't have much by way of technology after the 1700s here, and brief internet searches have lead me to believe that the first photograph on earth was 1827. I guess I could let it slide, but I feel a bit reluctant to approve a starting character with that big of a jump in technology, especially since he built it himself and that would imply a great deal of technical skill.

Starslayer and the Mad King
    EXP: 48,726, Level: 9
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 5,274
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,274
    GP

Name
    Skie dan Sabriel/ Avery Nito
    Race
    Moontae
    Hair Color
    Black/Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue/Green
    Build
    tall and slender

View Profile
    Well, considering he's 50 years old and has been studying mechanics since he was around 15, I didn't think it was THAT much of a jump. Also, the amount of work I'll have to do to fix the camera in threads and gather the components to transfer the images onto the silver plates, and spend money in the bazaar for things he can't gather himself, you know... But okay, here's how the darned expensive thing works.

I was mainly working off of a daguerreotype camera. This took one of the first pictures of Lincoln, who freed the slaves from the oppression of ROG mods. It was srs business back then. It was indeed developed in the 1830s, being perfected in 1839. Basically here's the rundown of how my sweet David here would go about making a picture with this.

First, he would need to fix his camera. This involves a quest in Fallien for the colored glass at the very least. Once he had Old Faithful up and running again, he would need silver plates. I've started him out with two, but they aren't reusable. Once they're gone, it would be a quest (probably in Kachuk, but I'm sure Dheathain would be just as accommodating, or I could be lazy and spend monies in the Bazaar.) to get the silver. If they weren't bought at the Bazaar as plates, he would have to go find a smith to turn silver ore into silver plates. Then it would be either a quest to find an alchemist/healer or a Bazaar trip to get iodine. Exposing the side he wants to put the image on to heated iodine vapor will form a thin, delicate layer of silver halide. Placing the plate into the camera box and focus the light filtering in through the lens on the plate for a few minutes (so there's no way he could take pictures in battle...not that he'd want to bring his precious camera into a battle anyway) will form a latent image on the halide. Inside the box, after covering the lens, he develops it. (This is why the damned thing is so bulky and makes it impossible for him to ever wear armor). He must procure mercury for the development. I intend to quest for this, by mining cinnabar, also called vermillion. By boiling it, the liquid mercury evaporates, and then can be collected via condensation plate, which he has yet to purchase/have made in a quest in iron jars that he has yet to purchase as well. (Already I have a lot of money to make with this character to even be able to use the camera.) Now, assuming he does have the mercury for development, he has to heat said mercury underneath the silver plate. The condensation of steaming mercury will attach itself to the place where exposure to light is the most intense. And after developing, there's still more to be done. It has to be dipped in a mixture of sulphur and salt, which he will have to mine and mix himself via a Dheathain quest. Even after that, the silver plates will only be protected from handling if he puts them in glass cases. Daguerreotypes are exceptionally delicate.

If you'd like, I could include a fail ratio for him, to do all that work and spend all that money and only succeed a quarter of his tries. But I think that's a little unfair to do when there's already a substantial amount of work I'm going to have to put into making a photograph with this character already, and he wants to make an entire collection of pictures. I've already gimped him by saying he is unable to wear armor, and I believe his age coupled with the fact that many of those years were spent experimenting and studying is enough that I should be able to have a camera obscura. As I've illustrated, the components needed are found on Althanas, and easily used and understood by alchemy. Alerar has airships, and steam powered mechanisms that are accepted canon. The first steam powered dirigible wasn't seen until 1852. The camera obscura doesn't seem that high tech to me.

I think that it's perfectly safe to assume he could make one after over 30 years of research and development. Am I to suffer for a well thought out character concept when people who use the cliche excuse that they're from earth/the future and get away with mp3 players, or guns and mp3 players. Let me also bring to your attention that there are characters who have photographs on photograph paper. These pictures require more technologically advanced camera imagery than what I'm using. But the advanced cameras required to make them are assumed to exist.
    Sometimes love looks like torture

List of my alts

Do you know my name?
    EXP: 38,033, Level: 7
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 5,967
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,967
    GP

Name
    Jame Whitizard-Kaosi
    Race
    Half Dragon
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    6'5" medium build
    Job
    Knight

You aren't going to suffer, I primarily wanted two assurances:

1) You weren't going to use this as justification that he could build dynamite or something else of roughly the same era of tech.

2) You had thought this out in terms of how this technology would relate to Althanas.

Seeing as you've done both those things, I'm happy to approve you. I just needed to get those things cleared up. If having to make that post was punishment, then yes, you're being punished.

You'll also be punished to the tune of 100 EXP. Take that and like it.