Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Bright yellow surrounded by black
    Build
    6'3 / Muscular

View Profile

War in South Ossetia

So.... what do you guys think about the war? Is Georgia in the wrong here? Russia? Both? With all the conflicting news sources, I'd rather not post any links, but I'm sure everyone has had various exposure to various media on the subject.

And I thought the news couldn't get more biased and ridiculous after the all the accusations in the USA presidential primaries.

GP

Name
    Thomas Saxon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1''/201 lbs.
    Job
    Hunter

I've read here and there about it. Mostly the headlines on yahoo.

From what I've read, Georgia is the one who started the conflict and Russia went to back Ossetia up and quashed it. Now I think Russia is taking advantage of the situation by invading Georgia.

Am I close?
    Last edited by Saxon; 08-11-08 at 11:42 PM.
    HEY! If you are judging or adding experience to a quest of mine, READ THIS!

~~Fibonacci's Tales ~~
    To Trump A Bluff.. (Best Quest of 2007)
    Almost Heroes

"To be evil is easy. It is far easier to destroy the light inside of someone then the darkness all around you." -The Night Watch

GP

Name
    Sean Patrick McClintock
    Race
    Homo Sapians Sapians
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blonde (Silver dependent on lighting)
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6'1"/ Approx. 230 lbs.
    Job
    Captain, 1st Force Recon Co., USMC

Too close for comfort.

Both sides are wrong, it's that simple. Russia did in fact take advantage of the situation, but the Georgian Republic is the opressor.

War is hell, especially the way the Russians and Georgians fight it. Crazy-ass motherfuckers. Barely trained, just indoctrinated. Stupid shit is all it is. More respect for Russian soldiers than Georgians, though, but I'd find it hard to trust either of them.
    "War is just when it is necessary; arms are permissible when there is no hope except in arms."
    ~Titus Livius

EXP: 46,568, Level: 9
    Level completed: 26%, EXP required for next level: 7,432
    Level completed: 26%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,432
    GP

Name
    Visla Layne Eraclaire
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Raw Umber Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    5'3" / 115 lbs

I've read a lot of contradictory things about this war, and I've frankly come to the conclusion that it's none of my business. I can't get accurate enough information to make an informed choice about who is right. Not to mention it only affects me in an extremely tangential way.

I'm an opinionated person, but I also think that too many people form beliefs when it isn't strictly necessary. It's as if every event that happens they need to form a personal belief about, even if there is insufficient information.

Not surprising, but still disappointing.
    We talkin bout practice
    Not a game, not a game, not a game
    We talkin bout practice

EXP: 59,200, Level: 10
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 5,800
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,800
    GP

Name
    Findelfin ap Fingolfin
    Race
    Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Golden
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    6'2", 220 lbs
    Job
    General of Raiaera, Diadem of Telendor Nauvarin

I'm with the Georgians on this one. I mean, sure, there are a lot of Russian speaking folks in South Ossetia, but it's clear that Russia merely wants full control of the Roki Tunnel. Having control of that sort of link through the Caucuses is crucial to Russian interests, and ultimately this whole "there are Russians there so it's our job to watch over it" sort of attitude seems no different from the "We must have Austria and Czechoslovakia" attitude shown by Germany in the 1930s.

Russia has clearly been taken steps for a decade to try to leverage its economic and security interests in South Ossetia to try to destabilize Georgia and lay claim to one of its key routes to points south of the Greater Caucuses. In that sort of situation, Georgia's response to real incursions of its sovereignty seem justified. And the South Ossetians seem, in some ways, to not be a province with any real grievance against Georgian rule -- it's not like the Georgian secret police have been forcefeeding them or waterboarding their children. The rumbles of unrest in South Ossetia have instead felt like nothing more than fomented grumblings produced by the Russian state for the sole purpose of undermining Georgian sovereignty.
    Exile of Raiaera

"He who has knowledge of the just and the good and beautiful ... will not, when in earnest, write them in ink, sowing them through a pen with words which cannot defend themselves by argument and cannot teach the truth effectually."
    --Plato, Phaedrus

Althanas Staff Administrator Emeritus

Hypocrite and Bitch
    EXP: 17,330, Level: 5
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next level: 2,670
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,670
    GP

Name
    Serilliant
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.75 meters / 70 kilograms
    Job
    Merchant

"In the 21st century, nations don't invade other nations." --John McCain

GP

Name
    Venn Edgar Ward
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7"/144lbs.
    Job
    Student/Waiter

Sweet plug Ser.

Hilarious.

Russia is obviously fighting a proxy war with the west. After all, they are a pure black-oil evil communist nation. Relations between states should be on the basis of equality, sovereignty, and economic integration, as Ms. Rice said is reason enough to want to station naval forces in Georgia and set up a few missiles in Poland. Just in case Russia decides to further undermine Georgian rule.

I'm sure the CIA can fake an attack on U.S. aid forces, or on some other not so obvious front and manipulate the media to produce public approval of a full scale Russian invasion. Finally, we can do away with this bad hangover of a superpower and focus our attention on China.

For Word
    Last edited by Sloth; 08-15-08 at 03:33 AM.