Black.
    Eye Color
    Azure.
    Build
    5'7", 160 lbs.
    Job
    None.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    Yeah, actually removing Akashima as a subforum on that basis is a legitimate reason to do so. Adventwings (who is a guy, by the way), isn't around at all any more. And while Akashima had a bit of a following, it wasn't a cult favorite. And if activity in using it as a subforum is abyssmally low anyway, what's the point to keep it around? Fan service?

Akashima would be much better served if it were referenced in Corone's almanac. And since people do read the almanac, they can use it at their leisure rather then having somebody around whose sole function is to manage a subforum within a region. Which is stupid and a waste of time and resources.

I agree with Max here, more then you'd think. When I had my almanac for Salvar almost finished, I was frequently asked questions, thanked for my contributions and especially for the consolidation of information for a region that the definition of it was for a very long time was vague. Now, while I have my own opinions of the merit of what I did personally, I still think at some level the almanac as an idea is fantastic. Regardless if you or newer folks who haven't found their way around yet don't want to read it, the almanac definitely gives people a concentrated dose of exactly what that region has to offer them with canon that they can use and interpret themselves in their own way.

That is a good idea. I disagree with your thoughts that such tools would be completely disregarded by all the members here because it simply is not true. I've seen people use it and implement it at their own level through mentioning different things in their quests in passing, using some of the more fundamental aspects of it such as race or religion to identify with their own characters and generally use it to plan their own stories.

It works.

Being somebody who actually did it, I can tell you that being a region writer sucks. Sure, other region writers will probably furiously disagree with me on that, but hear me out. While you can develop projects to use for your region and you probably become more protective and watchful over it, you as a staff member have two functions. To a) Write canon, which in itself is very time consuming and with little reward outside of personal and community gratitude, and b) Do other stuff to pick up the slack like Judging, bazaar modding, etc.

There really isn't much of a future in region writing, and you essentially have no rights or any kind of ownership of what you implement to your region other then what you use personally with your character. Which, not many region writers really identify or care about, but somebody like me does. You're writing full-time for a region you have no rights over, and spending the time to plot and expand on your ideas for the region in a volunteer-based position is a poor choice of how you spend your time. I'd rather be paid for my efforts which I usually deliver very well, but you might feel differently.

Either way, region writing isn't much of a job. Management of it is a bueracratic nightmare, implementing changes is kind of cool to do but too time consuming to be worth the reward, and region writers utilize no other function other then to be the content administrator's secretary unless they choose to get their hands dirty by asking to do other things. It took me a good month or two before I could convince somebody to let me take a crack at judging, and I immediately walked away from the idea of moderating the bazaar when I read the archaic formulas for configuring your experience and the amount of money you're going to spend on your purchase.

But, if you're saying that region writing still has some kind of merit because of how long its been used, wait there's more.The future of a region writer is bleak considering most either get burnt out or quit to move onto other things to do with the staff, so the turnover rate is ridiculously high. We don't get paid, so there's no incentive to do this other then out of the goodness of our hearts and for the community's benefit.

I guess what I'm basically trying to say is that region writing as a mechanism for implementing canon is a poor one. The CM idea isn't much better because of the reality that few people will probably use what other people to do outside of what is mentioned in an almanac, but it is so much better then the idea of region writing. Leaving one person to run a region in the dilapadated system we already have is too much to ask without considering the idea of defining their responsibilities, giving them more oversight and paying them for their time.

But, if you think I'm just bitching about what a region writer does because of my disagreements with the staff, please do. But I'm willing to wager that many of the former region writers who read the entirety of this post can identify with or testify that they've encountered one of the problems I mentioned. But, take it for what its worth.
    Seeing as I haven't personally been a region writer, I'll have to take what you say for granted. My stance still stands (and Max, forgive me for being honest), but in some of my points I stand corrected. And by she, Saxon, I meant Amaranthine, not AdventWings.

To be honest, when the term "almanac" was used, I didn't even consider the regions' almanacs; I immediately thought of some big, deep archive down within the depths of Middle Earth. Known about, but as the cobwebs testify, barely used.
    I still believe Akashima shouldn't be stowed away in there, but it's a bit better than my Middle-Earth example. So, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions.

I'm burnt out from arguing with words, so I'll do as Max suggests and try to save Akashima with my own two hands. Being a subforum is better than nothing, and seeing that it's obvious it won't ever become anything larger than that, it may as well stay where it is.

What other regions have been targeted for destruction? Haidia? Dheathain? Please, just tell us what's going to be kept and what isn't.
    "Some things they never tell you
    While you're riding the assembly line
    Like who'll be the hands to hold you
    And what's their state of mind?
    Well, hell I'm not much bigger
    Than a pointed index finger
    But who am I to lay the blame?
    I'm only here to cause some pain."
    ~The Autobiography of a Pistol, by Ellis Paul

EXP: 85,686, Level: 12
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next level: 4,314
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,314
    GP

Name
    Kyla Marie Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'6, 155lbs
    Job
    Ixian Knights Reformation team

Amaranthine, I really hate that you are feeling like we aren't taking this into consideration. Some might not be, but we're not the elitist group your making us out to be.

If you love Akashima and don't want it to be removed Max has given you an option. Step up writing there and show us why it matters. Heck, go ahead and flesh out your ideas and show Max that you can make it an awesome place to role play. We're simply saying that as it stands right now it's simply not used enough to warrant the staff continuing to put resources into it. I hope you can prove us wrong.

Take this as a challenge and not a no. I personally think if you are that drawn to it you should speak with Max about becoming a CM and then you can write the cannon. I have read some of your writing and I'm impressed. I just ask that you look at the options placed before you before you say that we don't care. I promise you we do and that's why we're working on all of this. If we didn't care we would have no interest in working on 2.0 at all.
    Each and every idea we've presented is still under discussion in the Mod forum.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this; we care about every players wants on the site, but if we're to be successful we have to put our resources where they are needed most. I'm rambling now so I'm going to stop, but I just don't want you to have the impression you do of the staff. We're not this big bad group of bullies trying to force people to do what we want, (That's just Duffy and Letho :P)

Edit: apparently I'm slow and was Ninja'd...

GP

Name
    Faye
    Race
    Ebudan
    Hair Color
    Soft Black
    Eye Color
    Azure Blue
    Build
    5'3" / 110lbs
    Job
    Nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Eyes View Post
    Amaranthine, I really hate that you are feeling like we aren't taking this into consideration. Some might not be, but we're not the elitist group your making us out to be.

If you love Akashima and don't want it to be removed Max has given you an option. Step up writing there and show us why it matters. Heck, go ahead and flesh out your ideas and show Max that you can make it an awesome place to role play. We're simply saying that as it stands right now it's simply not used enough to warrant the staff continuing to put resources into it. I hope you can prove us wrong.

Take this as a challenge and not a no. I personally think if you are that drawn to it you should speak with Max about becoming a CM and then you can write the cannon. I have read some of your writing and I'm impressed. I just ask that you look at the options placed before you before you say that we don't care. I promise you we do and that's why we're working on all of this. If we didn't care we would have no interest in working on 2.0 at all.
    Each and every idea we've presented is still under discussion in the Mod forum.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this; we care about every players wants on the site, but if we're to be successful we have to put our resources where they are needed most. I'm rambling now so I'm going to stop, but I just don't want you to have the impression you do of the staff. We're not this big bad group of bullies trying to force people to do what we want, (That's just Duffy and Letho :P)

Edit: apparently I'm slow and was Ninja'd...
    Hell hath no fury like a writer scorned.
    I'm far from feeling better about the whole situation, but I had decided a long time ago (when I first started thinking about Akashima) that I would go through with my ideas, whether or not I had the official support of the staff. Meaning that I would just make a thread with my ideas laid out and that I would personally use it to RP out my idea of Akashima. Even if I have to single-handedly save Akashima, it's going to happen. Period.
    昨日までの経験とか, 知識なんか荷物なだけ.
    風はいつも通り過ぎて, 後に何も残さないよ.
    チャレンジは馬鹿げたこと, リスク 回避するように, 愚かな計算して何を守るの?
    君は生まれ変わった Reborn!

●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎
    The First Meeting (Submitted)

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

The problem with being a Region Writer is that few people really care about canon, save for what immediately surrounds their respective characters or projects. The other problem is that there were about six or so RWs at any given time, and on average two or three were inactive and most of the rest would never make effort or accept invitation to actually work together and collaborate with any of the other region writers. As a result, out of the six or so regions, three were usually dead and the other three of which were basically their own worlds that could have easily existed as independent settings.

What's the point of putting forth a bunch of effort as a Region Writer, just to have both players and other RW basically ignore the content you added? Everybody just does their own thing. There's no sense of community or integration on Althanas anymore. I'm not sure if there ever was one. It seems like most characters have their own made-up homelands and independent histories. Some even come from the goddamn Real World. I mean, seriously? Althanas has a rich and diverse enough setting that anybody should be able to make a great 'native' character. Nobody tries to be part of something bigger than themselves, and the staff and community has never made a real effort to curb this tendency.

A perfect example of this is back when another member and I joined this forum together. This other member submitted a character, listing a specific Real World language as one of the character's known languages. The approval mod at the time started off by kindly explaining that this language didn't actually exist on Althanas, but then suggested that this person perhaps make the character FROM the Real World. You know, instead of saying, "That isn't a language that exists on Althanas, but X culture/region/whatever has a comparable dialect and set of customs that would serve nicely as a birthplace for your character. Here's a link to that region's almanac."

In some ways (all the wrong ways), our character registration system is too permissive. "Sure, you can be a time-traveling cyborg space cop from Mars. BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE THE GUN!!!!"

All that said, I prefer leaning more on Almanacs rather than having a subforum for everything. If someone's not going to read the almanac before starting, I would rather them NOT know about a specific sub-region. Besides, just because the forum isn't there doesn't mean that the region was consumed by the Abyss. It's still there for the members to enjoy.

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

Didn't Max just mention how you can affect the canon of a region by writing with a Canon Master? Althanas has been broken for a very long time and this is the best idea I've heard out of Max EVER. I think some of y'alls are getting way too defensive.

And as far as my opinion goes, Akashima sucks. People aren't going to come out of the woodwork to tell you that just to offset the few people here who really like it. If it gets tucked into a subforum 'hub' of smaller regions/areas, I don't see a problem with that.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

Sexy Immortal
    EXP: 149,516, Level: 16
    Level completed: 86%, EXP required for next level: 2,484
    Level completed: 86%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,484
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job
    Senior Knight of the Apocalypse

Wow, i just can't get enough of the blatant ass hattery that goes on. I'm amazed. Speechless....Well not speechless.

I took some time to think about the almanac, and i agree. I don't think this is the death nail int he coffin of akashima. I think we have a chance to take the ideas created here and MAKE THEM WORK for the first time ever. Everyone is a little defensive, but I see now how it works. So seriously. Woo.

But the next part? What the fuck was that Cyrus? Seriously? You just sorta came in, made a decent point, and then you go and lift a middle finger to all the people who happen to be interested with Akashima. Wtf man? I understand and get that it is just your opinion. But that wasn't the point of the thread. It was to come up with ideas to make it better.

If we do go to the almanac, fine! i support it! This thread right god damn here, is the player's way of getting the fundamentals into place for the Canon Masters. But no...you just fucking hate it. So it sucks.

Well, your mom sucks. That's my opinion.

See how that is just sorta....awkward? Didn't add anything to the discussion? But fuck man, i feel great saying that so i guess it's good for me and shitty for them. right? Dude, you have way more class than that. You always were the first person to tell people to lay off others for their opinions. And then you come here riding the middle finger of Godhand Striker boldly declaring how your opinion is everyone who likes akashima sucks? I admit, it looks badass, but you're really just an ass.

Seriously people. Stop fucking hating on the akashima if you aren't going to try and discuss ways to improve it. You don't like how close it is to real world Japan? Fine, what would you do to change it besides mentioning how much it sucks. Fucks sake people, she's new to the site as well. Stop being a bunch of little bitches with an internet spine and hide behind your screens. Let's get some progress moving.

I used to think you were cool, Cyrus.... (I still think you are, but man, wtf?)
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

Avatar Edited to Look AMAZING by Sagequeen

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Paul, man, take it easy. You're going to give yourself an aneurysm.

I'd just like to add that I find it somewhat irksome how easily people get riled up when their ideas aren't instantly implemented or god forbid they get rejected. I mean, nowadays it seems to me that every time someone gets a brain fart, they make a thread and expect for their idea to be considered the best of all time. This isn't aimed at you in particular, Amaranthine, nor directly at this thread. I think it's commendable that you're trying to get involved with Akashima, even though I never really cared about it all that much. I just get the feeling that the general Althanas populace is becoming more bitchy and prone to hissy fits whenever things don't go their way. You need to learn patience, young Skywalkers.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

GP

Name
    Lakin Le Comte
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Pitch Black
    Eye Color
    Azure Blue
    Build
    5 9" 63 kilos
    Job
    Diplomat for DpN, Tavern Owner.

It doesn't matter where Akashima ends up, go hard with your ideas. I wasn't all that true to Japan in East Akishima, but I had a great time playing with Advents creation. It will be nice to read your inspiration for the place.
    Nothing else matters.

Sexy Immortal
    EXP: 149,516, Level: 16
    Level completed: 86%, EXP required for next level: 2,484
    Level completed: 86%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,484
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job
    Senior Knight of the Apocalypse

What? Me? Oh no, i'm okay. had a cup of hot cocoa actually. Marshmellows were good. Letho, we need to write more. I don't want these meetings in the OOC to be all we have. So much more for us, but i digress *Sips cocoa*

I actually, for the first time ever, supported 2.0. I even supported the plan and Cyrus telling people to chill on that aspect. I do! i support 2.0 and everyone giving the almanac time to build up. It's not death to the region just because it doesn't have a sub forum. I think the idea is great to remove the clutter, store it away and update the core when needed.

I do however, think it's useless bullshit to come into a thread where someone is looking to create a culture for Akashima, expressed desires to get the community to help with the idea, and to have people come in and say "Akashima sucks" is just plain fucking rude. I completly and full heartedly understand it's a matter of opinion. However the tact used is just so plain wrong. It's upsetting, honestly.

It's like Ryu and Guile. I don't like charge characters in Street Fighter, the whole premise of them to me is just silly, but you know what. If someone was practicing Guile and asked me to help, i won't say "Guile sucks, charge characters suck. Play Ryu/Ken/Sagat/Akuma/Goken/Sakura/Dan. (Which seriously, capcom, stop making clones...)" It just not helpful. And is egotistical.

I WILL ADMIT RIGHT NOW, I HAVE DONE SOME THINGS WRONG! Thank you. I have attacked people just as they have attacked others. This doesn't make me right. It makes me horribly, horribly wrong. But i do insist on trying on emore time to make my point. In a more rational manner.

Now, i'm going to state this one last time in a more rational mind set, as a good buddy on AIM asked i do:

She asked for help about something she cares about.

You told her the thing she cares about sucks.

Do you see how damaging that is? Do you see how insanely ASSHOLISH that is? Can we maybe, please, all of us (Me included, and Ryu too, cause he's a fucking whuss with his stupid dragon punch Metsu Hadoken! It's not a combo ryu! it's a stupid set up!) try to act a bit more civil and understanding.

I think we can turn this thread into a gathering pot of ideas for the Althanas Almanac of Corone: Akashima.

(or was that still to rude? I can edit! We have buttons! *sips cocoa*
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

Avatar Edited to Look AMAZING by Sagequeen

GP

Name
    Faye
    Race
    Ebudan
    Hair Color
    Soft Black
    Eye Color
    Azure Blue
    Build
    5'3" / 110lbs
    Job
    Nothing yet.

I promised myself that I was just going to stay away from this thread for a while as it's clearly become so far off topic it's pitiful. This was supposed to be a place for people to voice IDEAS for Akashima. Not a place to say "Oh I don't like Akashima, it sucks.", nor "It's going to be tucked away in where-ever-the-hell-land." Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter where Akashima goes or how many people like it, it's still going to exist. If not physically on Althanas anymore, then in the minds of those who cared enough to remember.

Anyways. Despite the fact that your statement, Letho, wasn't "directly" aimed towards me, it nevertheless effects me. No I don't expect my idea to be embraced with open arms and put into use the next damn day. That's just asinine. What is upsetting me is how people (mostly staff) keep shoving crap in my face, telling me not to bother in wasting the time to develop Akashima. The only person who seems to understand how to address the idea, is Amber Eyes. I'll openly admit though that at this point I am just growing tired of everything in general, as I am now throughly disheartened. I'm not entirely convinced that I should put forth the effort and waste hours of my time for something that others are going to merely glance at and upturn their noses. But at the same time, I WANT to waste those hours just in spite of those silly people. So here I am all in a hissy because I tried to be ambitious, shame on me.

The people of Althanas are not bitching either. They are just growing tired of the facade that's being laid over their eyes. And at this point, I don't blame them.
    昨日までの経験とか, 知識なんか荷物なだけ.
    風はいつも通り過ぎて, 後に何も残さないよ.
    チャレンジは馬鹿げたこと, リスク 回避するように, 愚かな計算して何を守るの?
    君は生まれ変わった Reborn!

●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎●◎
    The First Meeting (Submitted)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast