Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job
    Finery tailor, Ixian Knight

View Profile
    "If you insist on following me, I will have to give you a name," Erissa said, frowning at the pup sitting at her feet. He grunted and gyrated in the dirt as he thrashed his paws in the air. His short coat was covered with dust that plumed fantastically as he shook himself; his ears flopped comically and he lost his balance. Erissa laughed affectionately and gave him a vigorous scratch between his ears. She drew in a deep breath; with her decision made Erissa felt a weight lifted from her.

Underwood was alive and bustling at noonday. The market was filled with a kaleidoscopic tapestry of people hurrying to and fro, weaving masterfully amongst themselves in what appeared to be a well choreographed production. Erissa picked her way through them and spoiled the seamless movement; she was bumped and jostled about as she found her way to the dry goods.

"I need traveling food," Erissa said to the vendor. "Three weeks' supply." The old man nodded and went about gathering an assortment of salted meats, dried fruits, and a several portions of dense and dry flatbread. Erissa was relieved he did not ask her any questions; she would not have known how to answer. Her journey would take her north, through the treacherous lines of Empire forces and the Comb Mountains, then west to the city of Radasanth. That was his hometown, a good place to begin her search for the mercenary; she had no doubt he would prove elusive. As a high elf, time was on her side, but not so when her quarry was a human.

"You might wanna consider gettin' another bag," the shopkeeper said, pointing at her small, flimsy satchel. "So happens I got one here. Water can't get in it very easy to spoil your food, and it comes with some basic supplies." He showed her the larger, sturdier satchel and Erissa nodded. She had watched carefully for the past hour; the merchants and their customers haggled with boisterous spirit. Less than confident, she decided to give it a try. She had brought a wealth of gold, but it would not last forever.

"The price?" She asked.

"Ten gold coins," he said and spit on the dirt. The craggy old man waited for the counter-offer as he chewed a wad of brownish goop.

"Hmmm. This certainly is quality food and the satchel does seem rather new." Erissa paused and tilted her chin downward. Keeping her head angled down, she slowly looked up at the man with wide eyes and a small smile. "But that is more than I can spend. Would six be enough?"

"Nine." The hard-faced man spat again to punctuate his offer. Erissa sighed heavily and looked down at the puppy.

"I think I could manage seven, if you'd be so kind as to throw in a little extra for the dog," Erissa fluttered her eyelids. She felt ridiculous. Such haggling was unheard-of in her former high class business. The old shopkeep grunted, and Erissa was at a loss for what it meant. As she was about to relent and agree to his price, the merchant spoke.

"What's his name?"

"The dog? I know not," she said, shaking her head.

"I seen this dog 'round here the past few days. Kicked around and ignored, scrappin' for whatever food he could get." The shopkeeper felt a tug at his heart. "Aaaagh, fine. Seven with some food for the little guy." Erissa was very relieved, and the old man packed her new satchel with the goods. "You know, I always thought Osher was a good name for a dog. Too bad I can't stop sneezing and itching around 'em. I'd have me four or five."

"Osher?" Erissa asked with a tilt of her head.

"Means good fortune, or so I hear," the man replied, nodding. "Ever'body can use a bit o' that."

"I suppose it suits him, then," Erissa mused as she smiled at the pup. "Come on, Osher."
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-02-11 at 03:06 PM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.