Thread: The... uhm... don't-know-the-number Official Althanas Gaming Thread

EXP: 825, Level: 1
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next level: 1,175
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,175
    GP

Name
    Griever
    Unknown (appears to be a man in his mid-twenties)
    Race
    Unknown
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Grey shot through with scarlet
    Build
    6'/185lbs
    Job
    Mercenary

View Profile
    haha to be honest, my definition of RPG is.... well... "There's a single player mode with substantial storyline quality where you play a particular character." Infamous 2 was awesome.
    Agreed
    Cry out for the man born of Flame.
    The god, the father,
    The beast, the demon.
    When the heavens burn, and the land weeps for its children.
    Their starved eyes will bear the word.
    For pain. For pain.
    Echo screaming laughter.

EXP: 8,389, Level: 3
    Level completed: 85%, EXP required for next level: 611
    Level completed: 85%,
    EXP required for next level: 611
    GP

Name
    Sheex Deltin
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'9"/160lbs
    Job
    Wanderer

Letho-
    I can't argue with the fact that you don't need to use it to its fullest extent, seeing as how my friend got at least to Ultimcia's castle without worrying about it too much. However, it still is an idea that ticks me off. First, it's more of an item system than a magic system, but I found if you want to make your character's kick ass, you have to draw. Especially from bosses. Converting items never really gave me enough high-level magic to reach the level of wreck face I wanted.

I'm with you on FPS whoring though.

IS IT?! 3 is the only one I've played...*searches Ebay immediately*
    Pity the damn thing's over a hundred bucks huh? Five is really good too, and you can pick that up for a decent price on amazon (close to fifty used). Though now that I check...HOLY CRAP! This series is expensive...

Now that I think about it.... most of the recent FF protagonists are emo beyond belief and/or the lone wolf brooding type @ _ @... ever since Cloud... -shakes fist- damn spiky head starting he trend.
    Yeah, but Squall is waaaayyyyy worse than Cloud. At least with Cloud, I did not have to put up with him whining on his bed with the sterotypical hands-over-head emo pose while everyone sings pick-me up songs to the guy. I really wished I could have just not used Squall. I really, really do.

Zidane in nine was cool though.
    Last edited by Sheex; 09-02-11 at 04:55 PM.
    The meaning of life is simple my friend. Pie. No, not that type of pie.

EXP: 1,404, Level: 1
    Level completed: 71%, EXP required for next level: 596
    Level completed: 71%,
    EXP required for next level: 596
    GP

I can scarcely tell the difference between Call of Duties and Battlefields and Medal of Honors nowadays.
    Simple way to tell: If it's ridiculous, it's CoD. If sniping is actually decent in it, it's Battlefield. If it's sitting on the store shelf unbought, it's Medal of Honor.

I could shotgun a window and it wouldn't be as broken as CoD: Black Ops.

EXP: 16,848, Level: 5
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 3,152
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,152
    GP

Name
    Elrundir Galadhrim
    Race
    Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Black with blue flecks

Quote Originally Posted by SirArtemis View Post
    You know, I hate to go off topic, but I have to comment on Letho's rant. I'm huge on RPG's. I mean, I know it's hard to imagine for an Althanas writer to play a game for a good STORY......

Anyways, just a list of some upcoming RPG games that I'm looking forward to and don't expect to be let down:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    Bioshock Infinite
    Mass Effect 3
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    Final Fantasy XII-2
    Final Fantasy XIV

Others that I'm not likely to play but might be good:

Batman: Arkham City
    Dark Souls

Game that I'm likely most looking forward to that many people don't know about, but has the chance to either blow us away or totally crash and burn:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Ken Rolston, the lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, acts as the game's executive designer. Additionally, noted fantasy author R.A. Salvatore created the game universe and lore, with Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn, working on the artwork.
    Final Fantasy XIV has been out for a year now. :P It's... not very good. And this is coming from one of those people who liked XI. The game is free to play and I still don't want to play it. Classic example of a game that was released about a year (maybe even two years) before it was ready and killed off a lot of interest in the process of getting "up to speed." Hell, the only thing playing FFXIV does is make me want to play FFXI.

Versus XIII is, unfortunately, off the radar. It was announced like a billion years ago and it's not even appearing at the Tokyo Game Show this year! It seems that they're putting it on the backburner in favour of XIII-2, so we might be able to expect to see it sometime in 2012... maybe. I'm not sure how I feel about XIII-2 itself (though I actually kind of liked FFXIII; nowhere near one of my favourites, but I don't hate it with the same unabashed passion as most of the free world), but some of the stuff I've seen looks pretty cool.

Mass Effect 3 will be fantastic, of course, because BioWare can do no wrong. Speaking of whom, if you happen to be into MMOs at all, The Old Republic will be out some time next year and it looks like it's going to be fantastic. Basically they just have to live up to even half the potential this game has right now and it'll be great. In other words, don't fuck it up like S-E did with FFXIV. On a related note, Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be pretty interesting too, and that one's free to play.

I was a bit disappointed about the setting of Skyrim at first (too similar to Solstheim from Bloodmoon, if you ask me; I would have much preferred to see the Summerset Isle or Elsweyr or something), but I still think it's going to be awesome.
    I don't think you're inferior. I just think I'm better than you.

Current Threads

EXP: 3,452, Level: 2
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 1,548
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,548
    GP

Name
    Jennifer Oakley.
    Race
    Changeling.
    Hair Color
    Purple.
    Eye Color
    Purple.
    Build
    6'11"/140lbs.
    Job
    Hunter.

View Profile
    Disgaea 4.

Tomb Raider.

SSX: Deadly Descents.

That is all.

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Sheex View Post
    Letho-
    I can't argue with the fact that you don't need to use it to its fullest extent, seeing as how my friend got at least to Ultimcia's castle without worrying about it too much. However, it still is an idea that ticks me off. First, it's more of an item system than a magic system, but I found if you want to make your character's kick ass, you have to draw. Especially from bosses. Converting items never really gave me enough high-level magic to reach the level of wreck face I wanted.
    Well, if my memory serves me, you could get a shitload of items from cards, and cards could be won in the minigame or you could "Card" a monster if it's health was low enough. Which is a bit ridiculous in and off itself, but if you liked the card minigame (and I did), you usually wound up with plenty of items. It required perhaps a bit more time spent in the menus and flipping cards, but I personally didn't find it bothersome. But I guess it comes down to personal preference. And personally, I didn't think the materia system from VII was all that great.

Also, hey, no Squall bashing. He wields a gunblade which instantly makes him at least 10% less emo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrundir
    Versus XIII is, unfortunately, off the radar. It was announced like a billion years ago and it's not even appearing at the Tokyo Game Show this year! It seems that they're putting it on the backburner in favour of XIII-2, so we might be able to expect to see it sometime in 2012... maybe. I'm not sure how I feel about XIII-2 itself (though I actually kind of liked FFXIII; nowhere near one of my favourites, but I don't hate it with the same unabashed passion as most of the free world), but some of the stuff I've seen looks pretty cool.

Mass Effect 3 will be fantastic, of course, because BioWare can do no wrong. Speaking of whom, if you happen to be into MMOs at all, The Old Republic will be out some time next year and it looks like it's going to be fantastic. Basically they just have to live up to even half the potential this game has right now and it'll be great. In other words, don't fuck it up like S-E did with FFXIV. On a related note, Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be pretty interesting too, and that one's free to play.
    I would've liked XIII more if I could take a step left or right off the beaten path and if they didn't think it was a great idea to give you exactly 66% less control over your party than in the other games. Why exactly couldn't we have an option to control others at least? It worked in XII.

Bioware FTW, naturally. Once The Old Republic comes out, a bunch of us from Althanas should form an Althanas clan or something. The force would be strong with us.

EDIT: For all you FPS lovers, you should check these if you haven't already. I found some of the stuff quite interesting.
    Last edited by Letho; 09-03-11 at 12:23 PM.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

EXP: 8,389, Level: 3
    Level completed: 85%, EXP required for next level: 611
    Level completed: 85%,
    EXP required for next level: 611
    GP

Name
    Sheex Deltin
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'9"/160lbs
    Job
    Wanderer

100%-10%= 90% emo
    The meaning of life is simple my friend. Pie. No, not that type of pie.

GP

Name
    Kahlina
    Race
    Chimera
    Hair Color
    porcelain white
    Eye Color
    greyish blue
    Build
    6'3"
    Job
    n/a

Let me say first and foremost that I totally, completely SUCK at video games. Doesn't stop me from trying to play them anyways.

The hardest thing I've ever done; finishing off the Archdemon in Dragon Age: Origins with a crap party. (I bit the dust a handful of times before I finally looked up a strategy guide.)

Hardest thing I've never done? Last more than half an hour playing Fatal Frame.

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.

~William Dement

EXP: 25,609, Level: 5
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next level: 1,391
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,391
    GP

Name
    Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh
    Race
    Ranoan
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Deep Blue
    Build
    5'10"/140 lbs
    Job
    Chieftain of The Red Hand

I'm late to this thread. That's what I get for getting on Althanas about once a month. :P

Greatest thing I've ever done: Beat Riven. Easily. That game took me months to figure out. I even got so frustrated with it at one point that I stopped playing it for at least a month or so. Maybe more. I finally came back and figured it out. I felt such a massive sense of accomplishment from that. It made the rest of the Myst games seem easy by comparison (except for IV. Still haven't finished that one.)

Also since you mentioned Celestial Weapons in FFX I could throw in that I did get at least 3 fully upgraded ones. Auron, Yuna, and Lulu. The thing was I eventually got into a habit of using those three for most battles, so naturally they got the most exp and leveled up the quickest, which made me want to use them more. This cycle continued until by the end of the game I literally COULD NOT use the other characters, and these three were dealing 9999 damage with almost every hit. I went out of my way to get all three of their weapons fully upgraded (which was really difficult) mainly so I could get the limit break. I also got all of the extra Aeons, too. Man, I loved that game.

Greatest thing I NEVER did.... hmm... that's a tough one. I guess since I mentioned Myst IV I could put that on here. That was one of a short list of games that I played until I got so frustrated I stopped and just never started again. That list would also include: Mass Effect, Bad Company 2, Bioshock, Stalker, and FFXIII. All games I WISH I could have finished, but didn't for one reason or another. I also never reached level 75 (max) in FFXI, despite playing off and on for years. That game just cost me way too much money for me to play it as casually as I did toward the end, lol.

As far as FPS's go, I have to admit I'm a CoD addict. I really don't give a crap about how "unrealistic" they are. I can even deal with stupid retards using noob tubes and last stand all the time. For me, CoD is my favorite FPS because it has the right "feel." It's really difficult to describe, but for me it's very important that FPS games (particularly multiplayer ones) have the right "feel" to them. I think it has a lot to do with the pace, but also the bullet mechanics and stuff like that. I prefer things pretty fast paced and simple. All the dudes I play online with convinced me to get Bad Company 2 and I HATED it. Worst video game purchase for me ever. I think I've played that game for a couple hours total for my 50 bux. Medal of Honor wasn't any better (probably should've been a clue to me that the multiplayer was made by the same people who made BC2, so it played EXACTLY the same) but at least I liked the single player in that one. But I have hundreds of hours logged on CoD4, MW2, and Black Ops. Call me a fan boy, but those games just scratch the itch. I'll be buying MW3. Don't get me wrong, I hate Activision as much as the next guy, I hate how they're trying to rip off everyone just because they can, and I fully realize that not a whole lot of "innovation" is going on, but anything I can get well over 100 hours of entertainment out of is worth my money.

Screw You, Andy.
    EXP: 233,561, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next level: 0
    GP

Name
    Sei Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Orange
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11'', 172 lbs
    Job
    Protector of Radasanth.

View Profile
    Sorahn, do you have black ops on 360? IF so, you should play with me, Dirks, and Zerith sometime.
    2011 Althy winner for Best Comeback, Most Helpful Moderator, and Best IC Odd Couple (With Enigmatic Immortal). 2012 Althie Winner for Mr. Althanas, and best Bromance (also, with Enigmatic Immortal). 2014 Althy Winner Best Battler for Forrals Fortress.

Gisela Open Winner (First Year), Lornius Cooperate Championship 3rd Place Winner (1/2 of 'Don't Blinke!', 2nd year).

(21:41:22) Sulla: If you kill god, Nihilism fills the void, you need the ubermensch to take the place of god. Sei is the ubermensch.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast