Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

A Play On History (Closed)

((Closed to those I invited))

Viola paced in her office as she looked at the reports in her hand, the soft paper rubbing against her skin and making a creaking noise. She looked to charts and diagrams, as well as numbers, crunching several in her head as she processed information and stacked it in her mind with previous notifications and events that pertained to her current thought process. She closed her eyes, mentally checked a few numbers and looked to the paper again. She flicked the black hair out of her eye, mentally chastising herself for not putting it into a pony tail like she usually did, and rechecked the numbers. The paper did not lie, but she was pleased to note her first guess was grossly wrong.

With a sigh she tossed the papers onto her hard wood desk, a mighty centerpiece to her office as she rested her hip against the lacquered oak imported from Concordia Forest. She looked down to her paperwork scattered throughout the large surface, and pulled up a few and wrote using her fountain pen a few lines and numbers, before coming up with one forgone conclusion.

As the Active Chief Counselor of Emprea and the woman who controlled the mighty arms of the nation’s military, she felt it was her duty to ensure that it was fully stocked, fully funded, and fully equipped. The nation had been nicely located near the edge of a mountain range that was very rich in deposits of minerals and metals mostly sought out for by other nations all around the world. This meant that the treasury could budget a generous portion to the people, the kingdom, and to the army. With full funding, Viola had felt that it was her duty to actually take into her own hands to remedy the one thing she could influence.

Recruitment.

And, according to her numbers, it was at an all time low. This concerned her, considering that the nation of Carthage had been breathing down the smaller nation’s neck for several years now. It was all Chancellor Freya could do to keep the Bloodstained Kingdom from marching, and Viola wanted to ensure her army was at peak performance and on call. She was afraid the army would invade at any moment, but thankfully the winter season came much swifter than this area of Althanas was used to, and so while the conditions were favorable for peace time, Viola wanted to take advantage to show their blood lust neighbors that if they did intend to march, it was against an army anyone would be proud to lead.

Of course, Viola constantly had to remind herself this was all a worst case scenario. Carthage had shown a miraculous breakthrough in negotiations when they agreed to a diplomatic trade of minerals and wealth in exchange for war horses. If they could be reasoned with, and better yet, an ally to the Emprean nation, than a new age of prosperity would swiftly take Emprea.

“As if,” Viola muttered loudly to nobody but her herself. The woman let her hands wrap around her chest just under breasts, looking to the door of her room. She was expecting people any moment, and was looking forward to it. Her monthly staff meeting was fast approaching, where she would talk with people she could count on. Those people were the Heroes of Emprea, a group of close comrades and friends who personified the tenants of Emprea’s martial discipline. Each one was a facet of their own, a powerful warrior who many had looked up to. In the trials to come, they would the pillars of stability to see the people of the nation she loved through.

There was a soft rap of knuckles upon her portal, before it creaked open and the sound of heeled boots clicked upon the stone floor before they were muffled by the luxurious Fallien carpet imported by the last Chief Counselor of Emprea. It was sort of a tradition, Viola had guessed looking over to her chair and desk. Everything in the office was very personable to the current Active Chief counselor, as each one had only ever used the wealth of Emprea for personal flair for a single purchase.

Moving behind her desk Viola loving touched the leather revolving chair she had masterworked in Corone when she was first imported. A comfortable chair was a luxury she allowed herself, since she spent so many hours sitting in this office. Her eyes softly looked to the intruder in her room, her lips pursing into a smile as Viola gave the newcomer a favored nod.

“Hello, Commander,” A timid voice spoke. “As you have requested, I made sure to get seven hundred of these fliers ready to be distributed by carriers at the end of the day. Now, as your personal adjutant and more importantly your best friend I’d like to know exactly what the hell is going on.” Viola let out a silent breath of mirth, a whimsical look on her face as she leaned back in her chair, feeling the padding move to comfort her aching bones.

Natalie Boros, Captain ranked, and personal Secretary to the Chief Counselor of Emprea was perhaps the only friend Viola admitted to having. She was a fiery red head, and naturally beautiful and was oft talked about in the hallways of the castle. In public, she was a very reserved model example of a dedicated officer. In private, she was just as prone to squealing in a high pitched voice and giggling about boys. Her latest infatuation, resident pretty boy David King, was one of the few boyfriends that had stayed in a long while. It probably helped David was also a Hero of Emprea, and Captain of the Royal Guard.

“I said,” Natalie spoke a bit louder, her eyebrows raising as she bent over to slam the sheet of paper on Viola’s desk. “Why am I making fliers to promote the Tantalum Troupe performing at this year’s winter ball? I mean, don’t get me wrong,” She said haphazardly, lifting herself up quickly as she paced around the front of Viola’s desk like a private detective, complete with stroking chin. “They are a world reknown hit for their several productions in Scara Brae, not to mention their airship is a traveling theatre.”

“Was,” Viola cut her off, her tone neutral as she looked to the flier and nodded, starting to file one into the six folders on her desk along with other stacks of papers for the meeting. “I do not think it flies anymore. But I could be wrong.”

“That didn’t answer my question!” Natalie moved towards Viola, eyes filled with curiosity. “Tell me!” Viola lifted a hand to her friends face, putting it on her forehead, and shoving her back as she stood, grabbing the stack of folders.

“It is nothing hard to contemplate. I called upon the Tantalum to perform in Emprea to help boost recruitment. I’ll explain it later in the meeting, come before we are late.” Natalie looked to her in confusion, before shrugging her shoulders and nodding.

“As you wish, Commander.”
    Last edited by Viola Conda; 02-16-12 at 10:46 PM.

God of Bards
    EXP: 99,783, Level: 13
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next level: 4,217
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,217
    GP

Name
    Duffy
    Race
    Thayne
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'8"/160lbs
    Job
    Bladesinger

View Profile
    “Well…” Duffy sighed. “This is turning out to be a logistical nightmare.” The sigh turned into a long series of grumbles.

He let himself sway in the motion of the carriage as it trundled down a long and narrow drive. It was dark, except the light of a full moon, and the trees either side of the narrow advance encroached overhead. The bard could not help but notice the road was not getting smoother. The curtains, though drawn, flapped open with each trundle. Every few seconds the light caressing his pallid skin failed.

Ruby watched the bard come undone on the opposite seat, quite amused with her tolerance for watching him squirm.

“I must admit, it’s certainly grander in scale than anything we’ve done before.”

He glared at her through the broadsheet pages of the Salvar Herald. Behind her paper shield, Duffy could see her grinning.

“That’s wonderfully encouraging of you Ruby. Thank you kindly.” His sarcasm could have shredded the paper to rags.

Here and there, ancient books and scrolls of stage directions lay sprawled on the carriage’s seat, floor, and walls. It served as a makeshift writing room for their speedy, flustered preparations.

Three weeks ago, the master of the Ixian Knights approached them with a request. Sei Orlouge called on them to turn to travelling theatre. A distant kingdom called Emprea required ‘a bunch of bards’ to put on a play. Given Sei had housed the troupe on their exodus from their home, Duffy could not say no. After spending time attempting to put all the names into cameos and minor roles, he was starting to wish that he had turned the request down.

“I just don’t know what to do with everyone.” Under normal circumstances, Duffy would have thrown something together, but Sei had insisted it be revolutionary.

“You heard what Sei said, didn’t you?” She folded the top of the newspaper forwards, revealing a tied back mass of grey hair that was half in rollers. She was a glamorous woman, and intended to step out of the carriage looking as glamorous as she had when she climbed into it. She would do so at any cost. Duffy rested the scroll of names on his lap and cocked his head.

“It’s important the cast feels involved. It’s important the public see their military leaders in ridiculous frocks.” He curled his lip in a half-formed smile at the paraphrasing.

“Yes, though I think Sei might’ve been joking about the frocks. Men with moustaches should steer well away from pleated cotton.” She disappeared into the gossip columns again with a flick of her wrists and a rustle.

“I guess if it’s to drive recruitment for the military, to save the country, then we can work something out.” He did not sound certain of himself.

The carriage continued to trundle north through a strange and unfamiliar landscape. With every jolt, Duffy’s ability to ignore the pain in his right lower leg weakened. If they did not arrive soon, he would have to resort to a shot of bourbon to numb the agony so that he could concentrate. Biting his lip, he continued to memorise the list of the Empyrean hierarchy. Ruby continued to the paper, apparently blasé about her impending performance before foreign dignitaries.

When they arrived at their destination, they would have one night’s rest before they began rehearsals. Putting everyone on list into the play was the first obstacle to overcome. Getting everyone to remember his or her lines without theatrical training was the second.

“Pray Tantalus guide me,” he sighed.
    Last edited by Duffy; 09-09-13 at 01:04 PM.

EXP: 15,148, Level: 5
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next level: 4,852
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,852
    GP

Name
    Erissa Alanorah Tarsul-Caedron
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job
    Finery tailor, Ixian Knight

View Profile
    It was failure, plainly and simply, spelled out in the stark contrast of black and white, at the hands of the Ixian Knights, and not just failure, but a huge, black splotch of embarrassment for the otherwise dignified and successful group. Erissa Caedron, Ixian Knight, shuffled in disbelief through the sheaths of paper that bore the historical account; there was no sugar coating on the briefing given her by Sei.

Her silver hair glistened where the light of midday sliced through the cramped carriage; the high elf huddled in a corner. Her head pounded from the incessant and empty chatter of her travel-mates, all bards taken on by one Duffy Bracken, the Ixian general to whom she was currently assigned in an effort to familiarize her with the leadership of the Knights.

Perhaps you will succeed where others have failed,' Sei had said to her in his eerie, soundless speech, but the arcanist did not see how she could smooth over something like the slaughter of Empreans by the Knights, even if it were a set-up by the 'Blood-stained Kingdom' of Carthage, sworn enemies and attempted usurpers of the rich Emprean lands. Distrust brewed in that land, as bitter and strong as the grinds in the cold coffee Erissa choked down as she read. No doubt the high elf was a skilled diplomat and a solver of problems, but how she might succeed where the likes of such Knights who had failed before escaped her.

Still, Erissa knew she had to try; an alliance with Emprea would be a windfall for the Ixian Knights in the form of rare and precious metals, and a blessing for Emprea to gain the protection of the Knights against a kingdom that would see them slaughtered and pillaged.

“Don't study too 'ard, love,” said the pretty, blond woman nearest her. “Ye'll make the rest of us look bad. How'd ya' manage to get your script already?” The woman leaned in, trying to steal a peek; surprised, Erissa hugged the papers to her chest, mouth forming soundless words like a fish out of water. “Well be that way, then!” The woman leaned back against the worn cushions, whose once-plush velvet was now threadbare from the many posteriors that had rested up it. From behind crossed arms and a smiling mask veiling contempt the woman regarded Erissa, wondering how the high elf had landed the role of the demon. She pursed her lips and assumed it was the same way she had landed her last gig, a little behind-the-scenes action with the casting director, although this Troupe's leader had not given her the time of day, much less an advance script.

Erissa's attention was elsewhere, however, and the blond woman soon began chattering with the carriage's other passengers, hushed whispers behind screening hands. The carriage was jarred as it hit a pothole, and the women whooped and cackled.

This is going to be a long ride, Erissa though as she blotted away the cold coffee that had been sloshed onto her sage-colored dress, a beautiful silken material with golden floral embroidery, painstakingly crafted by the high elf, a master tailor. Perturbed, she nibbled at a scone as she continued reading, the lines of worry so deep on her face they might have been etched there permanently.

Aside from the impossible diplomatic mission to which she had been assigned, Erissa had another problem to tackle.

Stage fright.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 02-17-12 at 08:16 AM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

EXP: 1,357, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 643
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 643
    GP

Name
    Viola Conda
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

Viola looked towards the room that she reserved when it was time for her monthly meeting with the Heroes of Emprea. She liked this room because it was secluded enough from the main grounds that the sound did not carry, and it had a wide view of the Emprean castle where she could look. The round table inside was big enough that the seven chairs in the room would fit the heroes, and that would be all. It was not a large room by any stretch, but that’s why Viola liked it.

She went through a mental checklist of those who would be participating in this month’s meeting. Rachel Lenoa, her Captain of the Archers and Ranged divisions was in the middle of training exercises, and she would need to be briefed later. Viola had no problems with that as easily her soon to be husband, Jonothan Andrews was attending the meeting representing the House Knights.

The Captian of the Royal Guard was going to be there as well, which always put Natalie into a happy mood. She casually glanced to see the awkward grin forming, her steps hastening as she moved faster through the narrow corridor. Viola shook her head lightly as she laughed softly, smiling herself. On one hand Natalie was being rather childish for an Officer of Emprea, but she couldn’t exactly blame her.

Without knowing it her face flushed softly as she fondly thought about the last member to join them for the meeting today. Paul Donovan, the Captain of the Line, and Wolf Lord of Emprea’s berserker units, was sort of an enigma to the Active Chief Counselor. Everything Paul represented was the passionate fury of Emprea’s mighty heroes. He was a brute, and fought like a tyrant on the battle field, but he had a certain reserve to him that Viola found interesting. Though completely hot headed and prone to anger, his wolves he leads as well as himself have been the most loyal of her soldiers.

That, and Viola knew deep down her feelings for Paul were unbecoming an officer of her stature. She had admitted a year ago that the man was growing on her, and she felt genuine feelings for him, but Duty to her country overcame those personal desires. She could not be with Donovan, no matter how much she wanted. So instead, she sat in her own world, watching him from afar and doing her best not to think of him in her free time.

“Thinking about Paul again?” Natalie whispered loudly, in a teasing fashion. Viola’s face turned beet red as she looked to her companion.

“Captain Boros!” Viola nearly shouted. “How many more times must I order you to shut up about that?” Natalie giggled as she leaned back, her face just next to Viola’s ear.

“Maybe when you stop getting glossy eyed and red in the face everytime you see him.” Viola forcefully pushed her away. “Oh, come on! You two have been playing lost puppies for over a year now! When he decked Fulgrim at the previous winter ball-“

“He proved how incapable he is of holding his temper in check.” Viola flatly said.

“I was gonna say proved how much you mean to him. Fulgrim was insulting you.” Viola lifted her nose in a snotty manner.

“The words of idiots do not affect me,” Viola said with pride. “I am Active Chief Counselor of Emprea. More laurels rest on my head than any other, and I refuse to let the envy of others bring me down.” Natalie nodded to her solemnly, before giggling out one last comeback, darting into the meeting room.

“If so, then why did you swoon when he decked him?” Viola wanted to retort, but sighed in frustration entering the room. As expected, the three others were in the room and she shut the door, lowering the folders so each took one.

“I will make this meeting brief.” Viola sat in the head chair, adjusting herself on the wood with irritation before placing her fingers just under her chin and resting on them. “Last meeting I had asked of you all to work hard on recruitment. Unfortunately, our current standing army is only forty two percent of where I want it. Brian, Master of the Assassin’s, is currently in Carthage doing another Census sweep of the enemy numbers should we go to war.”

Jonothan, the Lord of the House Knights, studied the paper before he lowered it and pulled out the quill in the pot centered on the table. The sound of soft scratching filled the air as Jensen wrote while David King thumbed through the folder, his own eyes looking to the numbers. Viola repressed the urge to laugh as Paul gave the folder a quick look, and then closed it. Jonothan looked up and addressed the room in a commanding tone. “If my numbers are right, we are sitting at a two to one disadvantage numerically. Even with our extensive training, that’s putting a lot of faith that Carthage doesn’t train.”

“Right, the Bloodstained Kingdom doesn’t train,” David mocked as he lowered his eyes to the folder. “This census is pretty recent, so at least it won’t be getting any larger.” Paul looked at the folder again, gave it another try, before sighing loudly and shoving the thing aside.

“I don’t get how you guys came up with those numbers, but I’ll smash as many of them down to size as you need,” Paul joked. The room chuckled as Natalie lowered herself next to Dave, whispering something in his ear as both of them grinned. The red head took a seat next to him, and then pulled her own folder to her.

“Well recruitment drives have hit a wall. So if we do not take advantage of the winter, we’ll be hard pressed to fight the enemy should war come. Delegations with Carthage have been very on edge, but at least Chancellor Freya has managed to stall us into next spring. We are arranging another trade package to see if we can buy time or seal an alliance. But let’s be honest,” Natalie said weakly.

“They won’t wait much longer to invade. So that means I need each one of you to prepare for the final last desperate act. Remember our erstwhile friends in the Ixian Knights?” The room nodded as Viola pulled the flier out. “As we know, they had sent a diplomatic team to Carthage, and that team, to prove they could fight as hard as Carthage or whatever else they thought they were doing, managed to kill several good Emprean soldiers. Regardless of the fact it was a Carthage set up, they willing went full out to support the Bloodstained Kingdom. Without knowing where their loyalties will really lie, I could not in good conscious seal an alliance with Sei Orlouge.”

Viola stood and turned to a small table where she pulled out a glass and poured water from the pitcher resting next to it. She looked outside to the sunny sky and sighed, taking a sip before turning back to her audience. “So in short, Sei owes us a big favor for the mess up. I have arranged for one of his General’s, a Duffy Bracken, to bring his Tantalum Troupe to Emprea. They will perform a show at our Winter Ball this year hosted by our King Horus. In exchange for funding the Tantalum to come to us, and making sure we have ample time to get arrangements fulfilled, I have agreed to give him one more chance to secure an alliance with us. I will meet with his delegation representative to barter a trade negotiation.”

“Wow!” Paul said looking to the flier as he lowered it, a wide grin on his face. “I heard of these guys! They use real magic and actually battle each other on stage to make the shows more believable! They have great quality productions too, on par with Zidane Cecil! Oh man, how cool!” Viola shot a raised eyebrow at her Captain of the Front Line, but shook her head smiling, sitting next to him.

“Well, yes, they are known for that, but I have a better surprise for all of us.” Viola took the rest of the water and drank it. “My last condition to Sei was to arrange a play based on the founding of Emprea. I want to use this play to drive recruitment up. Now, while I am confident that the play alone will swell our ranks with prideful soldiers, I wish to leave nothing to chance. So to ensure we get a huge turnout I included in the stipulation that we, the Heroes of Emprea that everyone looks so much up to, have a role in the play as the original heroes that battled the Demon General Raziael.”

There was a stunned silence before the Captain of the Royal Guard let out a boisterous laugh. “Us, on theatre? Are you sure the people can handle my charisma on a stage?” David passed a hand through his hair in a showy way as the room laughed to his joke. Jonothan nodded to the idea looking over the folder.

“I think that’s actually a pretty good idea.”

“I think that’s a great idea! Holy sweet Thaynes, I get to meet and perform with Ruby La Roux! She even puts Natalie to shame in the looks!” Paul looked to the flier at the women of the Tantalum Troupe. Viola gave him a dirty glare, Natalie gave him a snarl, and David chuckled.

“Now see Paul, you say things like that in front of my girl and I have no choice but to kick your ass,” David stood holding Natalie’s hand. “Fear not maiden, I shall save your honor from this brutish boar! Have at thee!” David lowered his quill like a sword as Paul lifted his. Viola knew better than to chastise her warriors. It was, after all, this sort of camaraderie that made them so effective in the first place. Viola shut her folder.

“Dismissed, and be ready. Once Duffy Bracken arrives, we will all focus our energy there. Assign temporary leaders in your absence.” They all exited the room slowly, Paul stopping to look at the flier one last time before looking to Viola. Viola picked up the last of the folders as she thought to herself about what he said, looking to the picture of Ruby.

“Um,” Paul looked around to see if anybody was in ear shot. His voice grew very tiny as he spoke, his face turning a gentle shade of red. “Permission to speak freely, mam?” Viola looked back to him, and nodded softly. “Ruby’s got nothing on you, mam.” Viola had to turn her face to make sure Donovan didn’t see her blush.

“Dismissed, captain,” Viola said softly back to him.

God of Bards
    GP

Name
    Duffy
    Race
    Thayne
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'8"/160lbs
    Job
    Bladesinger

View Profile
    It took Duffy a long time to put the many pieces of the puzzle together. When he finally did, he let out a small whelp of excitement that Ruby had come to recognise as worthy of her immediate attention. She had to catch him in that moment of clarity before his mind became preoccupied with something else. Lately, that had been a matter of minutes.

“Has it started to come together?”

She folded the newspaper with dextrous and affirmative hands, well versed in tidying away bed linen and tea towels day in, day out. The paper offered no resistance, and found itself perfectly pleated and left for the next occupant of the carriage to read in a few seconds. She rested it on the red satin cushions of the plush velveteen décor.

Duffy nodded enthusiastically. He held out the closing scene for his muse to inspect. She leant forwards and whipped it from his hands. As she brought it close to give it the once over, she made a show of peering down the cartilage of her nose and clearing her throat. Duffy could only slump back into the bench and twiddle his thumbs.

As Ruby scanned the climactic dialogue, the sour expression on her face slowly turned into a smile. She was pleased he had found a role for everyone in Emprea’s vast annul of history. At the very least, they could hope now to cover the costs of the play. She had never had to cough up enough gold up front for posters before. She had especially not wanted to pay for ones that painted her in a less than favourable light. Her unflattering, inky likeness was all over the kingdom.

“This is actually pretty special.” Her tone was encouraging, which made Duffy wrinkle his nose. He expected a long serious of overly critical put downs, not ambivalent agreement.

“Go on, you can be brutal,” he said with a wounded smile.

“I could, by all means,” she looked. “I meant what I said. Demons are not the most charismatic creations to work with.” She dropped her gaze paper and ran her finger along the closing narrative. She mumbled a few of the words to herself then fell silent.

“Ruby?” Duffy erred.

“I especially like the ‘play on history’ line. Triple puns are always hard to fit naturally into something as climactic as a battle.” She whipped the page back across the carriage before dropping her relinquished hands to her lap.

“I don’t know what to say. Well, other than thank you.” He could only shrug.

“Duffy, it’d be incredibly arrogant of me to try and change your play. Your talent…” She made sympathetic gestures with her hands, trying to act out just how sincere she was.

“What about it?” he enquired dryly, expecting the worst.

“It is more than enough to handle this tricky request.”

The carriage hit a bump in the road, jolting both occupants with a harsh crash landing to reality. Ruby adjusted her bra when the carriage settled then frowned sympathetically at his pained expression.

“I think it’s fair to say you’ve got enough worries on your plate without me making life difficult.” She nodded to his leg, as he begrudgingly paid attention to its iterant needs. He stretched his shattered calf across the gap between the seats. He propped his heavy, muddied boot up on the chair a few inches to Ruby’s lap. She looked at it disdainfully.

“You’ll have a few more to carry if you get mud anywhere near this Raiaeran silk…”

There was an awkward silence.

Ruby’s masque cracked first and she burst into a fit of giggles. Duffy’s face was, for a while, stony, sour, and stoic.

“That wasn’t funny…” He started to giggle.

“So why’re you laughing?” She gently pressed her hand against his boot as a subtle warning. She turned her attention to the passing tapestry of jade, olive, and emerald foliage.

“I have to laugh…” Duffy slouched.

“You just worry about staying on top of your wounds. You worry about making this play fantastic, and making sure it is the best direction you have ever overseen.” Ruby meant take your time to deal with the fact you are not the leading man.

“What about yourself?” Duffy asked bouncily.

“I’ll will these amateurs into shape. Lillith will make sure the costume design is racing enough for the soldiers.” She curled hip lips into a wicked smile.

Duffy raised an eyebrow.

“I am not sure ‘Erissa’ will like that.” He reflected on what little he knew about the high elf. His meeting with her before they had departed was brief and fleeting. He had been mesmerised by the elf’s beauty. He could not be sure if his respect for her was due to her attractiveness or Jensen’s high praise.

“I am sure she and Lillith will find common ground,” Ruby attested.

That would be a miracle. Lillith was as fierce, independent, and stubborn as her sister was. She did not like anyone telling her what to do.

“We should warn Erissa about what she is letting herself in for.” Duffy’s suggestion made Ruby curl her lip. Her pout brought a smile to Duffy’s face. He started to pack away the manuscripts in red leather satchels. On each, Duffy had painted a gold and purple phoenix on the flap. Its eye was the fastening stud, its wingtips the clasps that secured the bag’s strap.

“She’ll be fine. This play will be the making or breaking of us.” Ruby could see two eventualities come the closing curtain. On one hand, the morale of the Empyrean populace could sky rocket. On the other, it could plummet, and they might find themselves sent kicking and screaming from the country’s grace and hospitality.

Duffy leant back into the comfort of the carriage’s less than smooth final journey. He watched the unfamiliar world pass by in mutual admiration with his long-suffering companion.

"It won’t be long now...," Ruby said softly. She moved to the opposite window frame to get a better view. She craned her neck out and looked along the road. Her hair whipped behind her in long marl streaks, highlighting her wisdom and beauty. Ahead, the tree line finally gave way.

“Then its show time,” Duffy sighed.

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    Underwear?

The high elf twirled a long silver tress between her fingers as she sat in the carriage, alone. She stared out at the castle, a militant acropolis that indicated the character of its people, constructed of material both strong and rich without the extravagance that usually accompanies great wealth.

'Pretend they're in their underwear,' he had told her. Sure, it was easy for him to say; he was not a demure, reserved elf-maiden cast as a ruthless, raging demon, pitted against the very heroes she was sent to woo. Erissa made a mental note to 'thank' Jensen Ambrose for volunteering her for the mission; that would be, of course, if she could pin him down. He seemed so very avoidant of her in the recent past. With a deep breath she stepped from the carriage and followed her travel-mates into the gaping mouth of the Emprean stronghold, further unnerved by the thought it was laughing at her.

Underwear, underwear, underwear.

The river of people flowed into the foyer, sweeping her along; although there was an outrageous number of actors in the play, the Emprean castle held them all with room for more. The excitement was like crackling electricity among them as they jostled each other; there came a cry over the din as one of the Troupe's elder members called the crowd to attention. Erissa caught sight of Duffy Bracken being escorted, limping deeper into the castle, presumably to meet with Emprea's dignified leaders. Her own meeting with him had been brief, and although the bard knew of her purpose beyond his play, Duffy had enough on his hands that he had merely stared at her for a few fleeting seconds before nodding and shuffling through a monstrous stack of papers.

Erissa picked her way through the crowd, certain the bard had forgotten her in his haste, but Duffy turned, scanning the crowd for the high elf. He raised his hand in a gesture for her to follow, and the way opened before her to her relief. She walked swiftly to the Troupe leader, and with a nod, continued with him and the court guards into a wide corridor.

“Don't mention Jensen. Trust me,” Duffy said in a low voice, inches from the elf's ear. His constant companion, the illustrious Ruby La Roux, laughed, and Erissa raised an eyebrow.

Why am I not surprised? she thought, shaking her head. An indiscernible smile touched her lips. She was pulled from her thoughts by approaching footsteps.

“Hail, friends of Emprea. We welcome you to our realm,” the finely dressed man said as he gave a very slight nod to Duffy and his companions. “I am Jonathon Andrews, the Lord of the House. I regret to inform you that Chief Counselor of Emprea, Viola Conda, although she wishes she could have greeted you herself, is in a meeting of utmost importance. I invite you to accompany me to the room where you will meet her.” It was more a demand than a request from the detached Lord, who was surrounded by his lightly armored entourage.

Duffy gave a knowing look to the gray-haired Ruby, which even Erissa could discern. It was the cold shoulder act from the leadership of Emprea. The trio followed him through a few finely attired passageways, until they finally came to a wide hall, lined with castle guards. Jonathon gestured for them to enter and wait.

Underwear... I wonder if that works for diplomacy as well? Erissa thought as she took a seat near the Ixian general.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 10-18-12 at 08:59 AM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

GP

Name
    Viola Conda
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

Of all the times!

Viola had often thought herself the example of a healthy, in shape soldier. She had no real excess fat, exercised and ate right daily, and made sure to keep her health in peak shape with the essential herbs and nutrients that promoted an immune system capable of standing to most attacks. She was not the fastest, strongest, or most tough member of Emprea, but she could easily hold her own in the mandated tri-monthly Officer’s fitness exams.

Today was a day she wished she trained a bit more though; her lungs burned and muscles ached as she sprinted towards the courtyards. The smooth stoned hallways were usually large enough for six people to walk abreast, but it was never big enough when you really needed to be somewhere. The beautiful foliage hanging in the archways were magically useless, in the way objects, and the corridor she needed was crammed with soldiers, advisors, and servants of the castle as they moved to and fro.

“Excuse me!” Viola shouted. “Coming through!” She darted between two house knights, skipping up and over their scabbards that dragged along the floor. In her landing she lost her footing, spun; when she touched the ground she rolled, using the wall to keep her balance, all while still moving forwards. As she stood up her shoulder brushed against another, and they both turned in a tornado. Viola shouted her apologies, spinning and moving on.

Oh I can’t believe they are here! I hope Jonothan welcomed them in time! This is such a bad display of hospitality! Stupid Fulgrim, not even anything to say in that meeting you demanded to have with me! Oh if I could just see you alone in a room with Donovan for five minutes… she let that thought die then and there, shaking her head.

“Sorry!” Viola said blindly hitting a soldier in the back, her feet still carrying her forwards. She turned, running backwards in a jog to make sure the man was alright. He lifted a hand indicating he was fine, and smiled as he waved her off. Viola waved back, turned, and slammed deep into the chest of something heavy. Her feet kicked up, her chest flattened, and her vision sparked white as she opened her eyes seeing the ceiling. She shook her head, propping herself on her elbows.

“Commander Conda!” A voice spoke out in concern. She felt her elbows being touched, and before she could protest her body was up in the air before being dumped to her feet. “My apologies, Chief Counselor! It was my error for not paying attention to you!” Viola looked up to see a man wearing a wolf pelt over his left shoulder, twinkling blue eyes masked in concern. There was a deep rumbling growl coming from the woman on his right, she too wearing a wolf belt. These pelts denoted that they served Paul Donovan, and they were members of his personal guard; his Wolves. Viola made ready to excuse herself after a quick apology, when a voice rumbled from behind the two wolves. They bowed their heads, turned to face him, and saluted him, standing at the ready.

“Have my wolves troubled you, ma'am?” Paul’s voice was close to a threatening tone as he peered into the eyes of the two warriors. People began to point and whisper as Viola looked to the clock. The Ixian Knights had already been waiting for twenty minutes and she needed to go.

“Not at all, Captain,” Viola said happily, figuring they could wait a few more minutes with mental shrug. A small smile threatened to break out, but she repressed it with all her might. “It was I who troubled them. If maybe I was a bit less speedy, I would have seen these two and avoided ramming head first into them.” She looked back at the time and sighed. “I do apologize, Captain, but I must make haste. The-”

“Ixian Knights arrived. Yes, I know. Jon is already with them keeping them entertained. But if you are here, I then can only assume Lord Advisor Fulgrim detained you longer than necessary?” Viola could feel the implied insult in the venom of Paul’s tone had when he mentioned Fulgrim’s name. She shook her head, not feeding his temper towards the man she knew he despised. She merely smiled, a bit wider than she needed, and began to run off. Paul looked to his wolves, and with a nod the two warriors flanked her while Paul ran ahead the lot, his wolf cloak fluttering behind him.

“Let us escort you, Commander,” the female wolf said. The male nodded in agreement, his body moving to keep people away from Viola’s path. She nodded to them and thanked them, but her voice was drowned out by the cannon like boom of Donovan’s shouting.

“Move aside!” And just like that, the corridor opened, people knowing better than to get in the way of the wolves on a run. Unlike Viola, they had no compulsion to apologize or make sure people knew they were coming. It was move, or be run over. “Chief Counselor, coming through, move aside!” Viola looked to the fleeting form of Paul before her, and felt her heart beat in a manner that was different from the adrenaline of running. She did not know it, but her hand moved upwards, as if to grasp him, but at the last moment she caught herself and shook her head.

She reminded herself that she made the choice to stop chasing this desire.

Instead, she let her captain lead her through the castle as the wolves howled their presence all the way to the meeting room.

~*~*~

With Donovan’s help Viola was able to reach the room far faster than she would have alone, and so she took a moment to adjust her clothes, catch her breath, and make herself look more presentable. Paul excused himself with his wolves, pausing to say a few greetings to Natalie as she stepped up, and then he was gone.

“How was your date?” Natalie teased. Viola made ready to tell her off but the door opened, revealing the Ixian Knights to her. She stifled the look of hostility she showed her friend. Natalie introduced Viola by rank, as was custom, and Viola strolled in and sat across from General Bracken. Jonothan was already sitting across from Ruby, a content smile from the friendly discussion he was having as Natalie sat next to her across from the elf, opening a large folder and pulling out papers and handing them to the delegates while leaving a fat folder filled with copies to the side.

“Greetings all, I hope your ride was comfortable,” Viola said softly. “These are merely the housing arrangements we set up. We cleared out most of the House Knights from the barracks, so the accommodations should be acceptable to your troupe. Each room is furnished with desk, table, and bed as well as a library and recreation area. In those halls anyone of your troupe is permitted to walk freely, and no permission is needed to ever enter or leave the castle. I shall assign no curfew to your people, but please respect we have a ten o’clock curfew for active soldiers should you wish to host any activities.”

“That sounds very accommodating, Chief Active Counselor,” the Elf said gently, nodding her head in gratitude. Duffy looked to Viola, gave a week smile, and leaned towards the elf and whispered. Her cheeks turned a bit red as her mouth slipped into an understanding ‘O’ shape and she looked to Viola with apology. “Active Chief Counselor,” she stammered.

“Counselor or Ms Conda will suffice,” Viola said sweetly. Jonothan did not hide his chuckling while Natalie grinned to the Elf. Duffy gave her a soft pat before Viola moved on.

“As for the inner castle, you are restricted to only the main library and the kitchens; otherwise you must be escorted by an officer. We will provide one upon request. You all have free access to our meals, so long as the kitchen is open, and if you’d like we can accommodate a portion of the kitchen to your cooks if you so choose.”

“Ruby can barely cook as it is,” Duffy muttered. To that, the graying red head smiled, and Duffy’s body jolted as he massaged a leg. “Thank you all the same, Ms Conda.” Duffy finished with a bit of pain. Viola paused a moment before continuing as if nothing happened.

“The main castle where the royal family resides is off limits, as well as the active military barracks. This is your only warning. We will attack on site. I will keep my soldiers away from your troupe, I expect the same courtesy.” Duffy nodded as he looked to the paper and gave a satisfied sigh. “As for you, General Bracken, you and your entourage have the privilege of bunking in the main castle. Servants will attend to your needs at all hours. Please, make use of them. Anything we can do to make your stay better. We are nothing if not gracious.”

“Thank you Active-“ Viola peered down to the elf, who gulped, and took a second before replying. “Counselor Conda. Your hospitality is greatly appreciated. On behalf the Ixian Knights, I thank you.” Viola could feel the script in air, the way the elf spoke, and though this was the very first time she had ever seen one, so far she was not amused. She couldn’t tell if the woman was scared, arrogant, or just plain void of emotion. She nodded back to her politely. “I do hope we can take this time to mend the wounds dealt by our order in the past.”

“Oh, as do I,” Viola said, though the back of her mind was screaming the word ‘no’ repeatedly. Many good soldiers died because of the Ixian Knights, and Viola did not forget that. She turned back to General Bracken and smiled to him sweetly. “I have organized the courtyard on the eastern side to accommodate the needs for rehearsal, and our engineer team is ready with fresh materials and tools to make any vision of a stage and props you require a reality. Sei Orlouge has promised me no expenses spared,” Viola grinned devilishly. “So I expect us to spare none.”

She watched for the Elf’s reaction to her casual taunt. She wanted to see if the young elf would take her bait, and say something about squandering resources, yet when none came Viola smiled more warmly. Perhaps the elf had more to her than she thought. Time would tell. “Now, I have done all the talking, please, General, my heroes are at your disposal, as am I. What can we do to serve you?”

God of Bards
    GP

Name
    Duffy
    Race
    Thayne
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'8"/160lbs
    Job
    Bladesinger

View Profile
    There was a time and place for amateur dramatics. Duffy decided that now was not that time. The severity of the diplomatic undertones suddenly dawned on him. It was a rude awakening. Despite their friendly relations, looking up at Viola from his seat, he let his head speak before his heart.

“For this to work Lady Conda, we’ll need two things from your court. The first of these is your cooperation.” Duffy thought this request would be obvious enough. Cooperation and teamwork were the underpinning forces of a strong theatre troupe. Without those, you were nothing more than troubadours and minstrels.

“You have our undivided attention,” Viola replied.

Duffy admired her long faded scars of battle. She, like Ruby, was a woman that had been through the wars. She appeared, like Ruby, to have come out stronger for it. He smiled appreciatively.

“We’ll then need you to follow the stage direction on the manuscript with upmost precision.” Ruby rolled her eyes at this. Duffy tapped the tip of his cane onto the cold stone and made a show of adjusting his position in the chair. He was already growing restless. “Mrs Winchester,” he nodded to Ruby, “will aid your men in their preparations.”

“I’ll bring the best out in them,” she added. She crossed her legs over one another and rested her ring-laden hands on the table. “They’ll not want to step out of the limelight when I’m done.”

“It will be my job to direct,” Duffy chuckled at her enthusiasm. He rested his cane against the inside of his thighs and mimicked Ruby’s eccentric hand gestures. Her uncanny ability to make him forget his nerves was doing wonders for his composure.

“Lady Kazumi,” he pointed to the Akashiman sat opposite, “will put together the costumes.” The bard paused for a moment, before he turned his extended digit to Erissa. “Miss Cadron will aide her.” He hoped ‘aide’ was not an insult to the elf. From what he had learned, she was quite the tailor.

“It will be a pleasure,” Erissa said with a curt bow.

Viola made a desperate attempt to keep up with the torrent of instructions. A scribe stood behind her, taking down every detail.

“What else can we do for you, General Bracken?”

“You can stop calling me general, for one. My name is Duffy Brandybuck, Duffy for short. I am not a part of the Ixian Knights here, Lady Conda. We will soon become daemonic, dark, and creatural spirits of war.” He grinned.

“What he means, is that on the stage, everyone’s equal.” Ruby leant forwards and cupped her hand over her mouth, as though she were trying to keep Duffy out of the loop. There was a chorus of nervous laughter from the gathered dignitaries.

Viola waited for the laughter to fade, then nodded several times. Her finger remained poised on her lip. “Yes,” she said softly. “I have a good feeling about this.”

“I’m glad to hear! When the Tantalum troupe is finished with you, your army will swell two fold. The triumph of this production will echo through Empyrean history.” The bard beamed a smile as applause broke out.

“Right now we could murder some food and wine,” Lillith added. There was a second round of applause.

They would need all their strength before Duffy began to grind the egos of the Empyrean generals into the dirt. Once he had done that, he could build them back up and drive acting into their hearts.

He turned and smiled at Erissa. He leant forwards to whisper advice in her ear.

“If Lillith bit, snarls, or generally acts uncouth to you, mention Jensen.” He leant away quickly to re-join the applause. He saw Erissa’s wry smile out of the corner of his eye. He was already starting to like the newest Ixian Knight very much.

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    “Once again, our warmest welcomes are extended to you, Duffy, and your Tantalum Troupe. Please, make yourselves at home during your stay in Emprea,” Viola said, rising from her chair. As she rose, so too did the entourage around her. With a masked grimace, Duffy arose, followed by Ruby and Erissa. “Do not hesitate to ask for whatever you may need.” With a polite nod, the Ixians were dismissed, and Duffy's mind whirred with the task before him, yet his eyes never left the beautiful Ruby, a picture of grace and poise.

“Where might I find Lillith?” Erissa quietly asked Duffy, and as he opened his mouth to speak, Viola halted her exit and interrupted him.

“Ms. Caedron, Erissa was it?” the Chief Adviser Counsellor asked.

“Yes, Ms. Conda,” Erissa said, an amicable smile and feigned sense of ease hiding her being called upon unexpectedly.

“Why don't you accompany me for a while. I won't take up too much of your time; I understand you will be playing the part of our enemy, the demon,” Viola said curtly, “and you will need to prepare.”

It was then the tunnel vision set in for the high elf; the room and all in it seemed to grow in size, with the petite elf but a doll, a child's plaything in a room of giants.

It was absolutely wrong and unforgivable for her to do it, but Erissa did it anyway.

“It is my honor,” the high elf said smiling, all the while focusing in on Viola Conda, carefully reading and cataloging the transient memories that flashed through the woman's mind. As the greater part of the colorful procession of the Emprean entourage slipped through the doorway across the room from the elf, and Duffy and Ruby made their way through the door of the great hall behind her, Erissa stepped swiftly around the table to join Viola.

“The tales of elven beauty are no exaggeration,” Viola said as they left the room. As Erissa searched her, she found no hostility in the woman's memory toward elves, and in fact, a memory of one specifically, Tobias, an elf-maiden of the Knights.

Erissa glanced to the side of the wide hall where a rather imposing man stood vigil; he was handsome and adorned with the pelt of a wolf. Viola followed the elf's gaze, and Erissa caught something akin to affection for him as the memories slipped through the steely resolve of the Chief Advisor Counselor's mind. But as quickly as they surfaced, they were shoved away again. The woman cleared her throat.

“Thank you, and the tales of your fair kingdom do not do it justice,” Erissa replied sincerely. Viola clucked her tongue, her rapid stride clearing long halls in a fraction of the time Erissa would have taken sight-seeing.

“It tends to draw vultures, hoping to pick every bit of flesh from the bone,” she said coldly, the insinuation not lost on the elf. The Ixian struggled to keep pace with Viola.

“I assure you, Ms. Conda-” Erissa began, but Viola abruptly stopped and spun to face the elf.

“Keep your assurances. I bet you could tell me - with that same serene smile – that there's a pink unicorn behind me. It's actions, Ms. Caedron, that truly speak.” Viola began walking at her hurried pace again, leading Erissa through the various passageways and richly decorated halls of the Emprean castle.

“There are not enough apologies in the world that can cover the blood that we, the Ixian Knights, have on our hands,” Erissa said sadly.

“At least you acknowledge it and don't try to blame it on someone else,” Viola sighed. “Here we are,” she said gesturing to the guests' rooms within the castle. They were expansive with the same neutral-toned marble floors, enormous well-woven rugs spread beneath the bed. Pillows in abundance rested on the bed and couches, and ornate sconces flickered from the smooth, stone walls. “Fit for a diplomat,” Viola said. “The pantry has been stocked for you, as well as the wardrobe; consider it a personal gift from the royal family.”

“Thank you, Ms. Conda,” Erissa said, her stomach in knots. “Your hospitality is most-”

“You're welcome,” she replied, and with a nod, turned on her heel and paced away, leaving the elf to her fineries. Erissa closed the door of her room and without further delay, flopped herself down moodily on the bed. She squeaked as a sharp edge jabbed into her stomach; as the young arcanist rolled away from the source of her pain, she groaned, a long, miserable sound that echoed through the room.

The massive stack of bound paper was a script. Erissa wondered if it were possible for her to smother herself with a silk pillow, or if she would simply pass out, and awaken to the same problems and a terrible headache. The note on the first page read:

First rehearsal tomorrow. Lillith will find you later for wardrobe. - Duffy
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 03-05-12 at 08:48 PM.

GP

Name
    Viola Conda
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

Viola looked to the field as the several members of the tantalum troop prepared parties for rehearsal, Duffy moving with his cane between each group and offering words of insight or praise. The script had been grabbed by some of the fastest scribes, and freshly inked earlier in the day so that everyone had a copy ready to go. Viola looked down upon herself one last time, seeing her civilian fatigues. It had been quite a long time since she wore something that wasn’t her uniform, and the feeling left her wondering if she was naked.

Next to her David King fixed his hair, dusting off some lint from his tunic he wore and chuckling. “Been quite the time since I broke out this shirt. I’m surprised it still fits enough. Being Captain of the Guard made me lose more weight than I had thought.” Viola gave him a passing grin as the two carried on. “Have you heard from Rachel yet? I haven’t actually had a chance to see her in the past few days.”

“She is going to join us this afternoon. She’s making sure Hilda Spero is prepared to take care of her soldiers in her absence. Who did you have guarding your charges?” Viola asked sweetly.

“Me? I left Captain Falcon. I know Jonothan left Captain Hawk,” he let off a charming smile. “someone we can trust to keep our rivalry going between the two units.” Viola let out a playful laugh as she thought about the heated competition between the Guard and the House Knights. Created b the two heores, and echoed through each man and woman under their command. Her eyes looked to see Jonothan with Ruby La Roux, or was it Winchester? She thought a bit about it and was wholly unsure. Either way, the graying red head had seemed to have Jonothan stuck in her clutches as she spoke with great fan fair.

“Looks like we need to reinforce out men,” Viola chuckled. David stepped forward as Ruby continued her solo rant, complete with gesturing arms and Jonothan looked to her with utter confusion and a lack of knowing exactly what it was he should be doing in the current moment. “Lady Ruby,” Viola said politely, clearing her throat. “I have arrived with David King. Where shall we-“

“Late!” Ruby turned on the Active Chief Counselor. David flinched back to see her fury as she looked to his commanding officer, but Viola kept a neutral face. “As the lead role in this production, you are to be the example all others will look to, and you start your first day being late!”

“My apologies Lady Ruby-“ Viola was cut off again as Ruby lifted a hand to silence her, interjecting with her fiery words.

“Will not suffice. Duffy has gone to great lengths to ensure his end of the bargain was kept, and to repay him by being two minutes late is unacceptable! Do you have anything to say for your failures?”

“Two minutes?” Viola asked incredually. “According to the main clock, we are five minutes early!” Ruby shook her head.

“Five minutes early is when the actors arrive, not the stars! The eight o’clock deadline was to ensure the final stragglers would come in! But you, who carry a heavy burden, must ensure that you are here before the others. All of your heroes!”

“I suggest we run, as a strategy, M’am,” David whispered loudly. Ruby turned her gaze to him, before smiling sweetly. She clasped her hands together and moved towards him, linking arms as she dragged him forwards. He turned his gaze back to the other’s muttering the words ‘run!’ as he was introduced to a few Tantalum troupe members. Viola blinked repeatedly at the woman who dragged her comrade away and shook her head to clear the events our of her head.

“What a strange little woman.”

“The awkward thing was, she was screaming at me for being too early…” Jonothan muttered. “Said I throw the timing of everything else off, and that there is a strict timetable to adhere to. I apologized, but she just kept going.”

“Further than we got,” Natalie’s soft voice came through the air as both warrior’s turned to see Natalie flanked by a disgruntled Paul Donovan. She greeted both soldiers as Paul said his hello’s looking towards the coming day with a grimace. “I was told that my skin wasn’t the right complex for the tage, and I’d need to tan.”

“I was told I was too big.” Paul muttered. “A compliment any other day, but today I felt like a jack ass for it. Sorry m’am,” Paul teased to Viola. “My bulk has shamed the wolves.” They all laughed as they began to head towards their prescribed rehearsal area. Viola moved in the shadow of Donovan, feeling a particular warmth to it as she leaned to look at him when not in uniform. Much like David he wore a tunic, but the sleeves were cut off to make way for his brute physique. The fabric was a soft leather, and despite the oddity of it, he still wore his wolf pelt on the shoulder in respect to his unit of wolves. He carefully eyed down to her, and when their eyes met both smiled, warmly as Viola’s face turned red.

You both are off duty now, She thought whimsically. You could afford to be a bit more…friendly with him. She played with the thought in her mind before she sighed shaking the thought away. That was a can of worms she did not wish to open. Well…maybe she did.

“Ah! Welcome the stars of the show!” Ruby began to clap with a bravado that made them all pause. “Welcome, come, come, I am to be your acting coach when Duffy isn’t arund. Come, come! We have a lot of work to do.” When they all entered the small circle she looked to each one with a n appraising eye. “Do you all find me awkward? Odd? Off balance perhaps?” She turned to each one as she asked, giving a wink to the boys and a genuine smile to the ladies.

“Certified nutcase,” Natalie muttered darkly under breath. Viola grinned to that, knowing the girl instantly had a terrible deep seated and wholly unfounded hatred for Ruby when Paul opened his big mouth and said she was more beautiful than she. Ruby leaned in on her, showing all of her perfect whites. The girl gulped to be under the microscope as Ruby let it sink in. Then with a flourish she turned, doing an impressive walk sashaying her hips from side to side. Viola giggled to herself, notcing her purposely act this way just to tease the boys. Not that it would work she mused looking to Donovan.

“Stop starring,” Viola whispered loudly. She hadn’t even realized she said the words when Ruby turned back around and spoke again.

“No, Ms Conda, let him. That’s what acting IS,” she said with a sly smile. “It’s the total captivation of others while performing in a role! I can be insane in one moment, sultry in another, and stoic and commanding in the next! The execution of each is the pinnacle of all actors that many will strive, and far fewer will achieve. Today, I screamed and bellowed at each of you, because I wanted you to think I was crazier than a bat in a belfry. Then, with my cute charms and winks I wanted to catch the men’s attention while drawing ire from the women! Notice that the first time I used the language of speech to convince you I was crazy, but this second part I achieved through careful use of tone and the language of my body. You all need to focus this as your new goals. Each character has a motivation, a style, and flair that you must encompass and merge your very soul with! You are not to come out on stage as the people in costumes portraying your proud ancestors, but come out stage as the ancestors of old!”

Ruby turned and began to recount the entire script in an abridged fashion, which Viola was quickly learning wasn’t going to be abridged at all. Still, the woman had proved a valid point, and if this insane woman could fill her recruits, she would listen to her. Paul let out a long, heavy sigh as he drooped his shoulders.

“This is going to be a long day, isn’t it?” Paul whispered to the group. Nods accompanied his question, and Ruby turned seeing them all bobbing their heads in tune with her speech. She smiled, thinking they were grasping it and continued on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast