Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Well Althanas, what do you want?

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Regarding the Settings thread and the effects of that discussion, I took most of what was said in consideration and presented a plan in the mods forum for a new section of the site specifically geared towards free writing. It's currently waiting for someone with powers to set up the forums, and it generally incorporates a lot of ideas that were mentioned in the Settings thread. It's really a simple setup, nothing fancy, and hopefully it would be something that people would use and grow fond of. But with two of our admins quitting recently and only Max left with both powers and knowledge to set the forums up, it's currently stuck until someone can do the brickwork. So yeah, just wanted to say that the staff isn't deaf, just a bit slow to get rolling sometimes. :P
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    EXP: 59,008, Level: 10
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 5,992
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,992
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil View Post
    I'm just at a loss here to keep seeing this pattern recreate itself.
    There has been a lot of research into innovation (or product/new technology) uptake within populations. The innovators or 'first group' will jump onto any new idea as soon as they see it. This actually accounts for only a small proportion of the total uptake should a new idea become popular. The difficultly is in pushing past the first small and dedicated group and getting it out into the wider population. What we often have is a new idea being created, taken up by the people who always take up new things and then never heard of again.

Althanas is unique, in that should someone choose to act within this 'reality', they must do it with other people. If not another RPer, then at least the judge(s). The whole board is linked to group activities and as such a group mentality. In life you can compartmentalize your actions, and do things that would be considered solitary. In that way you can express your true beliefs without fear of continually sticking to the norm. In Althanas, you have to do it with other people.

So, to draw this out into a practical application with A Leap Forward. Did you set something up to encourage those interested to RP with each other? Did you create an incentive to RP (group acceptance, open praise, fun)? Did you communication the goals and method of the group to those interested? I know you did some, but others maybe not.

If we apply this to logic to the Thayne Codex, what was the goal? 'Create useful cannon for others to use' What was the method? 'post it and get feedback'. How do people get involved? 'Read it, use it and post feedback'. And so on.

What we have is a simple, clear message that the group, regardless of the age, style, or who they RP with can apply. Someone using the codex doesn't need to RP with someone else using it because it is their character is their own. A Leap Forward requires a much more commitment from two or more people before it can even approach critical mass.

I might throw out a few suggestions that I think will help an idea get taken up:
    1. Simple.
    Simple to use, simple to understand, simple to explain.

2. Uptake by respected 'leaders'.
    Although we might not necessary realise, or want to realise, there are influential RPers and no so. Sei, Letho, Jasmine, Duffy, EI, etc are names that spring to my mind of people who I will take note of when they start to do something or refer to something. When they get on board and start doing it, it helps tremendously.

3. Try and work out a reward system.
    The depth and breath of the rewards are very important. If the reward is too specific then your uptake will be limited to smaller amounts of people. If it is too broad and not specific enough then you will have people favor your competition. To use a Leap Forward again, your reward is freedom of RPing, its competition is exp and character advancement, more people to RP with, and so on. For the Thayne Codex, the reward for using it is deeper plot-lines, ease of character furthering and fun, the reward for not using it? Very little.

EDIT:
    The original work suggested these factors for uptake:

Relative Advantage
    How improved an innovation is over the previous generation.

Compatibility
    The level of compatibility that an innovation has to be assimilated into an individual’s life.

Complexity or Simplicity
    If the innovation is perceived as complicated or difficult to use, an individual is unlikely to adopt it.

Trialability
    How easily an innovation may be experimented. If a user is able to test an innovation, the individual will be more likely to adopt it.

Observability
    The extent that an innovation is visible to others. An innovation that is more visible will drive communication among the individual’s peers and personal networks and will in turn create more positive or negative reactions.
    Last edited by Hysteria; 06-17-12 at 07:24 AM.

EXP: 2,975, Level: 2
    Level completed: 33%, EXP required for next level: 2,025
    Level completed: 33%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,025
    GP

Name
    Liam Duigenan
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Graying
    Eye Color
    Pale Green
    Build
    5'11''/ 159 lbs.
    Job
    Inquisitor

Or, more simply, if there is an idea that is genuinely liked or felt to be positive for the site's benefit, regardless of who presents it, it'd be in the interest of the member base seeking to generate activity to actually participate in it. Rather then waiting and watching for others to do so, which in many of the examples I've given, not just ALF has been the case. If you want something to thrive, especially a website that has slowly been declining in activity for the last couple of years, perhaps it'd be best to act first rather then wait and see how it turns out before you dip your toe in. The latter cautious approach might serve people very well if you're investing in some sort of business, but this is just a hobby.

Though if there is an official approach to free-writing, I suppose we can all stand to wait until year's end for it to be created and implemented. Not when something is already available and free to use. What would be the rationale in that?
    Last edited by Vigil; 06-17-12 at 12:26 PM.
    "It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011