Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    73" 205 Lbs.
    Job
    Soldier for hire/Assassin

View Profile

Greetings from Gunther

I was referred to this site by Lye. He has been thus far very helpful. Thank you, sir.

I do appreciate the continuity of the storyline and universe of Althanas. I believe this is the sort of site I am looking for. I have bounced around between different sites over the years and settled on one for the past two years that I really enjoy. I am however feeling a bit out of sorts with that site and was in the mood for something different.

I can say I have been roleplaying in one capacity or another for roughly 35 years, if you include PnP RPing as a teen in school. I spent 21 years in the US Army/Massachusetts Army National Guard retiring as an Infantry Officer ten years ago. I am married and have four young children between the ages of 3 and 8. I never wanted to get married when I was in my 20s and knew I wanted to get out of the military before I did get married.

I enjoy reading military history and have been doing so for about 40 years. I do not favor one era over another and am a sort of Jack of all trades when it comes to MilHistory. I enjoy writing and view this hobby as collaborative works of fiction, rather than roleplaying. I understand the majority choose to call it roleplaying, but to me roleplaying implies we are playing a game, where someone wins and someone loses. My friends, I am not playing a game. I am writing story. I don't care about winning or losing, only writing an entertaining story. I believe writing the story of the losing side is just as much fun as writing the story of the winner. I am perfectly content with knowing who is winning and who is losing before we write the story.

Since Lye invited me to join the Order of the Crimson Hands. That is where I shall reside, initially.
    I am playing no game. I am an author contributing my ideas to a collaborative work of fiction.
    I have no intention of winning anything in a role play, just to write a readable story that maybe a few of you will enjoy.
    Best days for posting in RPs include Thurs - Sun.
    AKA: Landain Agrivar

Wayward Scribe
    EXP: 24,427, Level: 6
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 2,573
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,573
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    Totally random, but I spent a little time on Roleplayer Guild (that's where he recruited you from, right?) and you sound super familiar. I was Luned on there, too. Did we write together at some point?

Either way, glad to have you here! Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions!
    • • • art

Screw You, Andy.
    EXP: 233,561, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next level: 0
    GP

Name
    Sei Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Orange
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11'', 172 lbs
    Job
    Protector of Radasanth.

View Profile
    Welcome, I myself have 3 kids between 0-6 years (Youngest is 7 months), so I can kinda relate to you.

I enjoy reading military tactics of old myself, and this character actually fancies himself a strategist. So just in case things at the Crimson Hand don't work out, there's always the Ixian Knights.
    2011 Althy winner for Best Comeback, Most Helpful Moderator, and Best IC Odd Couple (With Enigmatic Immortal). 2012 Althie Winner for Mr. Althanas, and best Bromance (also, with Enigmatic Immortal). 2014 Althy Winner Best Battler for Forrals Fortress.

Gisela Open Winner (First Year), Lornius Cooperate Championship 3rd Place Winner (1/2 of 'Don't Blinke!', 2nd year).

(21:41:22) Sulla: If you kill god, Nihilism fills the void, you need the ubermensch to take the place of god. Sei is the ubermensch.

Il'Jhain Runner
    EXP: 20,399, Level: 6
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 6,601
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,601
    GP

Name
    Mordelain Saythrou
    Race
    Tama
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'12"/155llbs
    Job
    il'Jhain

View Profile
    Welcome, Gunther.

I'm glad Althanas appears to suit your needs, I can safely say the continuity and breadth of background (though not the best), is one of the most unique and flexible I've come across.

If you need anything at all, ask Lye, or anyone really, we're a friendly enough bunch for the most part.

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    I like your character, Gunther.

I think you'll have a good time on Althanas. Except why you would trust Lye is way beyond me.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    I've already said my greetings via PM, but once again, welcome! I agree with your view of writing and roleplay, seeing it more as collaborative story telling than a game. The system implemented here is a fantastic environment for regulated continuity of character development along a believable path. EXP permits believable growth and gold allows for natural economy. The judging system is also a site-wide workshop to allow constructive criticism as you finish threads (or chapters) of your collaborative works. It can take some getting used to, but we have many friendly members willing to help you feel at home.

[Edit] Don't listen to Dirks. My character may be shifty, but I'm as straight forward as they can be.
    Last edited by Lye; 10-31-13 at 02:09 PM.
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

EXP: 8,711, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 289
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 289
    GP

Name
    Sorish Mon Larsh
    Race
    Coralian
    Hair Color
    None
    Eye Color
    White
    Build
    8'7" 300lb
    Job
    Adventurer / Historian

View Profile
    Welcome! I hope your stay here is pleasurable. Also hope to meet you with one of my eleven characters dome day.
    Thought
    "Telepathic Communication"
    "Yelling"
    Emphasis
    "Talking"

Theme Song
    "Year of the Reef"

GP

Name
    Günther Faust
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    73" 205 Lbs.
    Job
    Soldier for hire/Assassin

View Profile
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luned View Post
    Totally random, but I spent a little time on Roleplayer Guild (that's where he recruited you from, right?) and you sound super familiar. I was Luned on there, too. Did we write together at some point?

Either way, glad to have you here! Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions!
    Yes, Luned we did RP together. I still have you on my friend's list there. Dr. Luned Cunningham and Liam Donnelly both traveled to Eqypt aboard the Exodus in search of the Voynich Manuscript. We got as far as the sphinx and the thread died. One of the aspect of RPG that totally annoys me is the frequency at which RP threads decay into nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sei View Post
    Welcome, I myself have 3 kids between 0-6 years (Youngest is 7 months), so I can kinda relate to you.

I enjoy reading military tactics of old myself, and this character actually fancies himself a strategist. So just in case things at the Crimson Hand don't work out, there's always the Ixian Knights.
    Hoytti tells me he/she has 11 characters. So the possibility of an additional character joining the Ixian Knights does seem real. For now, I'll use Günther Faust in the Crimson Hands, to learn how this site works. Thank you for the invitation.

If you ever want to have an OOC conversation regarding MilHist, I'm game. I'm also into war gaming, the old fashioned way with dice and charts. I've even experimented with play by post war gaming in an RP style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordelain View Post
    Welcome, Gunther.

I'm glad Althanas appears to suit your needs, I can safely say the continuity and breadth of background (though not the best), is one of the most unique and flexible I've come across.

If you need anything at all, ask Lye, or anyone really, we're a friendly enough bunch for the most part.
    Thank you. This is an attractive feature of the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks View Post
    I like your character, Gunther.
    Thank you, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lye View Post
    I agree with your view of writing and roleplay, seeing it more as collaborative story telling than a game. The system implemented here is a fantastic environment for regulated continuity of character development along a believable path. EXP permits believable growth and gold allows for natural economy. The judging system is also a site-wide workshop to allow constructive criticism as you finish threads (or chapters) of your collaborative works. It can take some getting used to, but we have many friendly members willing to help you feel at home.

[Edit] Don't listen to Dirks. My character may be shifty, but I'm as straight forward as they can be.
    I am happy to hear that others share my view regarding the differences between Role Playing and Collaborative story telling. I look forward to exploring the many facets of this RP system. I do not mind being judged. It strikes me as a form of initiation as well as an introduction of what is expected from writers/contributors.

Not listening to Dirks. Nyah, nyah, nyah!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytti View Post
    Welcome! I hope your stay here is pleasurable. Also hope to meet you with one of my eleven characters dome day.
    Thank you, hoytti. This answers one of my questions. I guess I can have an additional character. Phew! I like to try different things. I can start with a Viking themed warrior and move to a Drow Necromancer some other time or whatever flight of fancy carries me away.
    I am playing no game. I am an author contributing my ideas to a collaborative work of fiction.
    I have no intention of winning anything in a role play, just to write a readable story that maybe a few of you will enjoy.
    Best days for posting in RPs include Thurs - Sun.
    AKA: Landain Agrivar

Il'Jhain Runner
    EXP: 20,399, Level: 6
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 6,601
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,601
    GP

Name
    Mordelain Saythrou
    Race
    Tama
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'12"/155llbs
    Job
    il'Jhain

View Profile
    Now that's over.

Write with meeeeeeee!

EXP: 17,010, Level: 5
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 2,990
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,990
    GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Long Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1" 180 lbs.
    Job
    Mage

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy yourself here, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast