Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    181 cm / 78 kg
    Job
    Sakushi, Kijutsushi, Tatsujin

View Profile
    King confronts King. Dual check.

It reared above him like a monstrosity from deepest legend, mucal matter slavering from its jaws and splattering on the vine-twisted floor beneath its grimy claws. The rank confines of its den sweltered in the stink of faeces and spoor. The mercenary Kaburagi found it difficult even to draw breath, which only increased the strain on his body as his exertions pushed it to its limits.

Decades and centuries of matted fur and rufescent moss coated its leathery hide. His slender blade, designed for slicing and cutting rather than chopping or stabbing, stood little chance of penetrating the resulting coat. So he bided his time, attacking where the beast was weak and retreating behind the Ditz or the Ape when it showed signs of retaliating. Even his illusions had little effect on the Dur’Taigen alpha male, for their lack of scent and sound could not fool its keen senses.

In times like this, he had to use his pieces well. The Ape was his Juggernaut, barrelling along a blunt and predictable front, powerful and uncompromising yet surprisingly indispensable. The Ditz was his Mage, working her way into oblique angles and opening up new lines of attack, unveiling unexpected weaknesses in the process. The Dog was his Chevalier, unpredictable and tricky and expendable, sallying back and forth as she looked to trade with a more powerful enemy piece.

But this is no simple game of monarchs you play, the sultry cinnamon voice whispered in his ears. And I am no simpleton for you to manipulate at will.

Steam billowed from his heaving lungs as he forced himself to step back from the action, to see what none of the others could. The dance floor formed an arena cocooned by the marble rubble of etched columns and sweeping balustrades. But even here in the heart of the manse, the vines formed a knotted tangle that choked all semblance of civility from the ancient elven architecture. Rows of serrated teeth dotted their base, and baleful crimson glares kept close watch as their pack leader dealt with the intruders who had slaughtered its mate.

“Don’t you have anything better than that, Blondie?”

The Ape leapt in with fist aflame, but instead took the brunt of a bruising blow of the patriarch’s paw. His skidding boots left twin tracks through the mossy grime at his feet. So the Dur’Taigen could out-muscle his Juggernaut. It mattered not.

“Don’t blame me, blame the mongrel cur! She’s the one who can’t even scratch the beast!”

The Ditz emptied the chambers of her arcane revolvers, reloaded them with a pulse of willpower, and resumed blasting away. Every spell left an icy mark, but not a single one penetrated the leathery hide. So the Dur’Taigen had no weakness for the Mage to expose. It mattered not.

“Aaye! Jackass! Planning to help us out any time soon?”

The Dog found purchase once more upon slick fur, seeking with her mythril sword the wound she had inflicted from above. But the wolf’s neck twisted in impossible grace, snapping at its shoulders and forcing her away. So the Dur’Taigen could not trade for his Chevalier. It mattered not.

The wailing of the babe overhead mattered not, even as she choked upon clouds of sifting dust stirred loose by the conflict. The stench of sweat and spoor mattered not, even as he threw himself clear of the beast’s thrashing jaws and rolled through the grime to his feet. The bile in the back of his throat mattered not, though his limbs and lungs might scream for respite.

The desperate endeavours of his pawns. The baleful red glares of his audience. The crumbling edifice of his arena. The taint of cinnamon and ozone in his lungs.

Nothing mattered. Nothing, except the nagging itch in the back of his mind.

Never before, in all the ancient texts he had perused and valuable scrolls he had scrutinised, had he ever encountered the Dur’Taigen hive mind. Always he had read of them as a pack society, where the strongest beast – male or female – enforced rule by the serrated daggers of its fangs and the twisted sinews of its paws.

So why had this particular pack acted so different?

Why had the beasts drawn Illara first to the albino mutant, then to this monstrosity?

Why had the infernal sawing feedback not receded upon the alpha female’s death?

Because there is another hand at play here, the spicy susurrations simpered in time with his realisations. It giggled, girlish and mocking. But that didn’t matter either.

The wall by his head shattered and splintered as a meaty claw tore it asunder. The Ape darted one way from the wreckage, the Ditz the other. The Dog hounded the wounded back leg of the beast, though for all her efforts she might have instead joined the swarming fruit-flies in the least sanitary corner of the chamber.

But Touma never once blinked. His eyes hardened. His mind focused. His muscles tensed.

Shadow enveloped him whole, cocooning him from head to toe. Then it spat him out again where the Dur’Taigen patriarch least expected it: in front of its broadsword-like fangs. Raw rank breath, the product of too many meals scavenged from corrupted corpses, blasted upon Kaburagi’s features like a warm wet gale.

Surprised, it opened its mouth to snap at him. Even a glancing blow from those mighty teeth would have torn his vulnerable body into so many shreds of lifeless flesh.

But no matter how swiftly it moved, his blade struck swifter.

“I’ve had enough of your games, witch.”

Darksteel katana sliced into the soft woody flesh of the Dur’Taigen’s nose. It recoiled, surprised yowl crescendoing into pained shriek. Arcane veils crumbled to the dirt-strewn marble floor, shattering like a cascade of broken glass. Ozone pooled in the bridge of Kaburagi’s brow, and again he tasted the imaginary blood in the back of his throat. But his teeth glinted in triumphant smile as black blood spurted from the wound, the stench that of pulsating rot, the sensation that of gushing lava.

A superficial blow. One that didn’t prevent the alpha male from recovering with a reflexive snap that almost tore his arm from his body and all his plans with it. But one that opened their path to victory, nonetheless.

King bloods King, revealing the True Queen. Check.

“That’s enough toying with us,” he smirked as he landed in a poised crouch, blade retreating to its scabbard in a single fluid motion. He stood tall, and his eyes travelled to the crimson-haired apparition now floating above the Dur’Taigen’s malevolent snout.

“Pode.”
    -Level 3-

Spiteful words and back-stabbing fist,
    Forked tongue with poison at its tips,
    Hateful eyes and deceitful lips.

EXP: 12,177, Level: 4
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 1,823
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,823
    GP

Name
    Alyssa Dianne Snow
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Platinum Blonde
    Eye Color
    Pale Blue-Green
    Build
    5'6"/125lbs
    Job
    Empress of the Tarot Hierarchy

View Profile
    The utterance of the witch’s name followed by the manifestation of her phantom rouse sent a bolt of pain down Alyssa’s back and forced her to a knee. The gunner struggled to keep her eyes on target. With each ghastly movement of Pode’s apparition, the scar along Alyssa’s spine pulsed and ached.

“Perhaps I underestimated this group of insects,” the spectre spoke in haunting hiss. Its voice rang from inside the mind, uninterrupted by the guttural growls and breaths of exhaustion. For the moment, the Alpha gave pause to his assault, but his bared fangs and attentive gaze remained at the ready.

“Am I really that transparent with my tricks, Master Kaburagi?” she added, followed by dark laughter. “Or would you prefer to be known as Touma Kamikaji, Tamer of Serpents?”

“Save the pleasantries, witch,” the mercenary scowled. His features crumpled into a fearsome mask of war, one that rivalled the greater oni of his homeland. “You know why I am here.”

Her mirth only swelled, cascading upon their cowed ears like a waterfall of blood. “Do you still believe yourself worthy of inheriting my mantle? Do you truly believe yourself capable of wielding such power?”

“That is for me to know, and for you to witness.”

“And yet you can’t even face the least of my minions alone. What of your daemonic protector now, Serpent-Tamer? What of your vaunted Fraternity? Are the pawns you have readied this time truly up to the task, or will you die here alone, abandoned by the very pieces you thought you could meld to your so-called plans?” Crimson thunder rolled through his ears as her humour turned scathing and vicious. “I shall know, Master Kamikaji, and I shall bear witness. You are neither heroic saviour nor catalyst for change. And I shall spit upon your unmarked grave, as I have spat upon so many of those who have come before.”

The Dog used the Witch’s focus on the foreigner to slink around behind her, mythril sword and iron dagger drawn and pressed along her arms to not give her intentions away with their light. She moved slowly, nearly losing herself in the red dust that hovered thick in the air, each foot fell soundlessly on debris. Her eyes glinted murder; if she could just get the drop…

“Would you slay me, Illara Zarae Alfheim Rilynrahel?” Pode turned, lips curved in a cruel smile at the Mongrel’s hardened stare. “What? You’ve never heard two of those names? Did you ever question why you were never able to lose this tacky thing?” A well-manicured hand reached out and twitched, calling forth a little metal spider that skittered up the elf’s torso to her shoulder. “Or should I call you Mongrel?”

Her smile only deepened at the slight motions of Illara’s shoulders, “Oh, look. You adopted your wretched heritage as your identity, but you still bristle when anyone outside of your mangy pack uses it. Why are you here, pup? For the sake of an Alerar that barely knows of your existence? At the call of a Raiaera that kicked you so hard you still haven’t pulled your tail out from your legs? And yet you’re here, snapping and snarling, thinking you might bite?”

The half-breed stood tall, throwing off her skulking guise like it was an ill-fitting cloak and shining with regality. The tight braid she’d woven to keep her hair out of her face sat atop her head like a crown, and the frigid condescension in her tone could have frozen lava. “I did not come for the wretches to the west or for what the bastards to the north might think they deserve. I came because… how to phrase it? To use the Gisela vernacular, ‘because you’re a punk-ass bitch with a really rude ‘tude, steppin’ on turf that ain’t yours.’ You can hardly expect not to answer for it, whether it be a thousand years ago, this moment, or a thousand years from now.”

Pode looked upon her, completely unimpressed with the display. “Large words from a dog so eager for acceptance and affection that she fell prey to the crude manipulations of an orc who never loved her. For a creature so out of place in her pack that she’s sent scurrying from anthill to anthill, never to bother any particular branch for long.”

Rage curdled within the elf. She swung her weapons to the ready and curled her lips, but before she could open her mouth to retort, the Ape spoke up in arrogance.

“This is all well and good,” the teen scratched the back of his head with his free hand, “but if you don’t mind, we’re kinda in the middle of something here, so if you could just, you know…” the boy waved his hand as though he were attempting to send away a stray pup, “Shoo. Shoo girl! We’ll be with you soon enough, I promise!”

The sinister spectre laughed at the Ape and his attempt to get her away. “What of you, Mr. Blaze? Such a worthy candidate for a vessel; brains, brawn, the aloof attitude that none expect will have any merit to his immature words. We could be so perfect together, you and I Zack, we coul---”

“Pretty sure I told you to shoo,” the brawler shrugged his shoulders and let the Forgotten One’s words roll off of his shoulders like it was water down his back.

Despite her translucent appearance, the evil entity raised an eyebrow. “Well then, if not you, perhaps I could use her…” Pode’s fingers wavered as they pointed towards the child in Blaze’s arms. “She would be superb, with no will of her own, I could use her body as my second coming. She will be mine, Mr. Blaze, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.”

The youth’s eyes wandered down to the slumbered bundle in his arms before they shot back up. There was a scowl on the street fighter’s face as he attempted to stare down the bitch of a witch. Though his demeanor suggested otherwise, his legs trembled at the thought of what could happen to the child. The warrior made a fist and threw a fin of flame at the ghost, then another, only for the two pyres to pass harmlessly through the laughing visage. “Oh, don’t you worry, you’ll see us soon enough you Lindumbass.”

“And last, but certainly not least, my dear, sweet Alyssa. I would have given you a much better name than those dirty little elves. How does it feel, my dear? Knowing that I will be the closest thing to a mother you’ll ever have?” The mystical vapors twisted into a sly grin on phantom lips.

“Shut up!” Alyssa exclaimed in a panic. She looked to her temporary allies. They stared back.

“Oh? Have I struck a chord? Do they not know? Did you not tell them?” Her tones were whimsical. Alyssa met her with defiant, angry eyes.

“As if we should care what she might say?” Illara snapped. Something boiled beneath her question, as if Pode had hit every one of her weak spots, but in the wrong order.

“Should you not care about the truth?” Pode interjected before Alyssa could explain. “Why this little girl you see here may as well be my--”

A crescent of black steel carved the words from her mouth. Her gleeful gaze never once left Alyssa’s face as it fell from her ghostly neck, severed from the tendrils of power supporting her illusion. Even before it hit the ground, the rest of her body started to evaporate like wispy vapour before the morning sun. Kaburagi sheathed his sword with a muted click, legs bunched beneath him in mid-jump.

“You talk too much.”

A pressure lifted from Alyssa’s crippled frame as the last of Pode’s phantom dissipated. The girl’s mind, however, remained stained with paranoia and uncertainty. The terrible secrets now made public rattled her fierce and calm demeanor. What trust would they have in her now? The girl shook her head to aid in composing her thoughts, but the war drum of feral feet upon the fragmented flooring forced her eyes up.

The patriarch’s paw swatted Kaburagi from the air like so much garbage. A combination of rubbled stone, knotted vine, and piled excrement arrested his fall at the far end of the room, but not before his limp body had completed three full cartwheels through motes of rising dust.

Alyssa fumbled to stand, brought her weapons to point, then focused on her aim and only her aim. Now, removed from Pode’s influence, the time to strike the beast down was upon them.

EXP: 34,842, Level: 7
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next level: 158
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next level: 158
    GP

Name
    Zack Blaze
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    6'0'' 170 lbs
    Job
    Manipulator

“Blondie,” Zack yelled as he began to run towards their gargantuan foe once more, “I need a lift, get me to that thing’s back!”

The gunslinger needed no further encouragement and aimed her weapons toward his feet. With the invisible hand of her will, she exchanged one set of crystals with another, snapped the chamber shut, and pulled the trigger. Unlike her spells of ice and wind, no visible magic expelled from the barrel. Instead, the ground where her muzzles pointed shuddered, cracked, and exploded upward into tall pillars of stone. One, two, three, they continued to jut from the earth, only fast as she could manifest the energy.

The teen brawler quickly took advantage of his new makeshift steps, a leap and bound between each of the newly created towers before his adversary could take them down. Rocks collapsed milliseconds after the street fighter’s feet left them. The Alpha was angry, and wanted to eliminate the biggest threat to him at all costs.

After the fifth monument was made, the Dog made her move. She charged at the beast, her weapon at the ready as she cut with a new-found fury. The sword found its mark and distracted the large canine for the few seconds Zack required. The beast snarled as it batted away the elf as a cat would bat away yarn. The useless girl rolled several times along the ground before she slammed hard into a piece of wall that was still somewhat erect. She did not get up.

Zack used the diversion to jump off the last pillar, his free hand balled into a fist as he landed upon the back of the creature’s neck. He slammed down hard upon the dead center of the overgrown pup to no avail. The Dur'Taigen, now satisfied with its victory over the Dog, jerked its head to and fro in an attempt to dislodge its rider. Zack’s eyes widened as he opened his free hand, a smirk upon his face. He was one move away from destroying this thing for good.

Then the baby flew out of his arms.

Time seemed to slow as the infant began to wail. Her small body hit the form of the Dur’Taigen and bounced off as if she were a ball. In the few seconds that remained in this battle, Zack looked to his enemy, then to his ward, back to the wolf, then the newborn. “Fuck!” he shouted as he dived off the side of the Alpha, his arms by his side to achieve a faster fall than his target. The baby screamed and cried as she fell through the air, her small form a few moments away from becoming a stain upon the mansion grounds.

Zack scooped the child up with such earnest that the teen feared he snapped the kid’s neck in the process. The street fighter shifted his body and wrapped his right arm around the baby as well, his right hand still open. When his body collided with the ground, it was all the brawler could do to keep his bundle from leaving his grip once once more. His shoulders felt as though they were ripped from his body, and his spine ached as though someone used it for a speed bag.

“Ohhawho…” Zack groaned, unsure if he even made a coherent word, He sucked in a hard breath as he gazed downwards to see the baby still full of life, busy shrieking to the rest of Althanas. The Ape turned to his side as he tried to push himself up on just his feet alone. He slipped, but he could hear the Ditz’s gun as it fired off more magical blasts. He willed himself up again, this time his stand successful. His eyes moved towards his charge once more, and noticed a few droplets of blood upon her head. He wiped his mouth with his sore shoulders and saw the crimson liquid upon his jacket matched that on the infants face.

He growled through blood stained teeth, and found his breathing to be harder than normal. Something at his side felt as though a knife was driven in every time he inhaled. “Broken rib…” he muttered.

“I hope someone has a backup plan!” Zack shouted as he disappeared from his point, only to appear instantly at the blonde’s side. “Because I only have one Ace left!”
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! You sound like a self-help book! I don't know if you're going to try to hit me or charge me $99 for your seminar! ~ Benimaru Nikaido to Ryo Sakazaki

EXP: 17,599, Level: 5
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 2,401
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,401
    GP

Name
    Illara
    Race
    Elf (Hybrid)
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'5"/Slender

View Profile
    "Mousie. Wake up, Mousie." Mutt's voice rang in my ear, amused but insistent. "Get up. Is time for war! Time for Mousie to be glorious like dawn, certain as stars, strong as the moon upon the tide!"

I didn't want to get up. I wanted to stay in that bed, in the warmth and safety of a time long gone. I didn't want to open my eyes, because I knew that if I left that moment, I would never get it back. I would never hear that gruff, gentle voice again. The huge hands that nudged my face and back would never hold me again. I'd never smell the scent of earth mixed with sour ale and warm hearth again. Why would I ever want to leave when this is all I have wanted for the last three decades?

"Mousie..." My beloved's tone was one of wry and weary amusement. "Get up. Is not time for you to sleep yet. Get up. There is much for Mousie to be doing."

My eyes cracked open to get a look at the lumpy green face in the radiant Radasanth sunlight. "Will you come with me?"

He chuckled, a sound like a saw grinding its way through a log, and leaned down to kiss my forehead. "My Mousie goes nowhere alone." He held a hand out to me, and I reached to take it.

My fingers closed on cool leather wrapped around metal rather than the warm hand I sought to grasp. The stench of old feces, rotting organic matter, and singed fur flooded back into my awareness. Bright morning light faded to flickering shadows in the Lindequalme afternoon, and my eyes focused on a faded mural, half-obscured by creeping vines.

An elven male, resplendent in starlight, reached out his hand to strike down the Serpent of Night. Megillion, then. Without having to look, I knew the rest of the Star Pantheon was represented on these walls. While the humans were still occupied with the Dur'Taigen alpha, I chanced a glance to the cracked and filthy floor. Underneath the devastation swam an impossibly intricate dance of silver specks in a field of navy blue.

This ballroom was identical to the one in my stepfather's house, but this one... It's hard to describe. Underneath the scat and spoor, beyond the corruption and curse, I could feel old magic tingling at the very edge of my perception. Back when the Stars acted instead of simply watched, back when the devotees were still intensely fervent... back when Raiaerans and Alerians were still as one... In a time when magic was stronger, builders sometimes wove the gods’ might and protection into their works.

It hadn't done Eluriand much good, but this building was older. Maybe... Just maybe.

I'm no musician. For an elf, I can't even carry a tune in a bucket. But my half-brother is a Bladesinger, and I was a small child when he was learning the basics. He recited the prayers to the old gods tens of thousands of times each, and I was there to hear them. I stopped trying to repeat them after my Lord Stepfather heard me, because his wrath was ruinous, but I still knew each word, each inflection, each cadence by heart.

I would sooner stab Siegfried through the face than admit he was ever someone I looked up to, but when you're so small that your eyes don't yet clear the table, the safest person in your life is the one you cling to closest. For me, that was either at the edge of my brother’s shadow or in the far corner of whichever open room he might have occupied. While I do not believe my brother felt any love for me, at least he was only rarely cruel, and he was often protective.

I wonder if that's why he wrote the letter that brought me to the Lindequalme. Not to put me into harm's way (even if that's exactly where I was), but because old habit told him that he needed to bring me home. Unfortunately for him, Raiaera isn't home anymore.

But here, where clumsy humans struggle against a might they have no hope of destroying, I knew what to do. Or I hoped I did. I stood like a queen (or at least a tipsy person with a head injury), striding (wobbling) forward to face the Dur'Taigen again.

"Aaye Galatirion, Atar en Melen, Oira!”
    Hail Galatirion, Sky-Father, Eternal!
    “Aaye Selana, Elen en Nesse, Fane!”
    Hail Selana, Young-Star, Mysterious!
    “Suula e’a i’dome!”
    Breathe into the darkness!
    “Sila Llie me’a!”
    Shine your light!
    “Leneema ‘kshi’ akh’velahr narka!”
    Let not the forces of evil destroy us!
    “Ila’re, iltul’re, ila’Arda telar!”
    Not today, not tomorrow, nor to the ends of the earth!

The world washed in starlight, my mythril sword shimmered with power. The beast lunged at me, but shafts of radiance erupted from the floor, skewered it, contained it, and exposed its soft underbelly for the others to exploit. The wolf screamed, half a snarl of impotent rage and half a yowl of agonized terror. I didn't dare stop chanting for fear of what might happen if the Dur'Taigen was released.

EXP: 12,289, Level: 4
    Level completed: 66%, EXP required for next level: 1,711
    Level completed: 66%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,711
    GP

Name
    Touma Kamikaji
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    181 cm / 78 kg
    Job
    Sakushi, Kijutsushi, Tatsujin

View Profile
    Who could have thought that in the depths of the Lindequalme so long lost to mortal eyes, a lone manse still stood vigil to the vestiges of long-lost civilisation?

Who could have known that Pode had deliberately cursed its grace and its beauty with her Dur’Taigen, much as she had cursed the Belegwain i Beleg of old?

Who could have dreamed that after millennia spent languishing beneath the crimson curse, a mere flicker of faith would suffice to reawaken its powerful wards?

Even here. If he hadn’t known better, Pode’s whisper in his mind might have even contained a note of wonder. Even now. They are remembered…

The scent of cinnamon faded. In its place rushed in a tidal wave of scat and spoor. He breathed of foul excrement and tasted it on his tongue, and he spluttered and choked as he fought to clear his airways.

The silence of impending death retreated. It left only the thunder of his exertions raging through his battered synapses. The hissing of nine forked tongues wreathed the flames within his skull, where all the while imaginary gryphons roared and banshees keened.

The radiance of the starlight receded. Now he could see again the Dur’Taigen patriarch, trapped in its lair. Rufescent vines shrivelled and fled before the unwavering brilliance, exposing more and more of the faded murals on the wall in their wake.

Touma Kamikaji stretched an accusatory finger from the heap of filth in which he lay, and laughed in weak, wry humour.

“I despise you, Dog.” Stumbling forth on unsteady legs, still she chanted half-forgotten phrases of faith and belief. She represented everything Touma loathed in those who fled from their pain, wavering in the face of destiny with uncertainty as their excuse. Only fools and simpletons used their heritage as an excuse for their own weakness, rather than an obstacle to be overcome. He should know. “But that was well done for a mongrel cur. Chevalier to Queen Six. Check.”

His finger swept the trembling ballroom, cutting like a blade through clouds of rising dirt and mists of spilling blood.

“I deplore you, Ditz.” She held her ground with both hands ablaze, eyes cold and calculating as she finally unveiled more than a flash of her true nature. She represented everything Touma condemned in those who veiled their inner self because they feared to learn what others – or they themselves – would see. Only fools and simpletons wore masks that would slip in something as transient as the heat of battle. He should know. “But you have the heart of a true fighter. Mage to Chevalier Five. Check.”

His finger stabbed into the dim chill of early spring, penetrating like a lance the piercing howls of the incongruous babe and the eerie wails of the trapped wolf.

“I abhor you, Ape.” The boy clearly favoured one side of his body, still hampered by his need to both protect the little girl in his left arm and keep his right hand open. He represented everything Touma detested in ego run rampant: a man who perceived the world as merely a mirror into which to project his own sense of self superiority. Only fools and simpletons believed that said mirror would not bite back. He should know. “But I do admire your sheer pigheadedness. Juggernaut to Juggernaut Eight. Check. And mate.”

Boldly the Ape stumbled forth across the broken tiles, every crag in his face illuminated by the pillar of light. The incessant cries of the child in his arms grew louder with every step. The streak of dry crimson on his face only enhanced the wicked smile he wore. He rolled his shoulders, groaning as though surprised that such a simple action could cost so much effort and pain, and locked eyes with his incapacitated enemy. Then he raised his right hand, the same vice-like claw that he seemed quite determined to keep open.

“Time to show my cards, I guess…” Blood-flecked spittle flew through the air as he spoke. “Hope you’re ready for this, you big bad son of a bitch…”

The Ape balled his hand into a fist. In an instant, the back of the Dur’Taigen’s neck caved into its body. Its head fell limp, its eyes glassy, but its chest continued to heave in a howl that most of the party could not hear.

He turned around and approached his group once more. Looking to the fallen ‘Kaburagi’, he placed a hand upon the older man’s shoulder. Sinewy digits tightened into bony flesh as he spoke.

“Your. Move.”

His words rang above the Dog’s continued chanting. In excruciating, deliberate lassitude, the Nipponese mercenary worked his feet beneath him. An eternity passed as he rose to where he could better view the ensorcelled patriarch. But with every movement he shed his feigned injuries, until it became clear that his broken fall of earlier had been naught but an illusion. He didn’t have to be Pode to play mind tricks of his own.

The wooden tendons of the Dur’Taigen’s neck retained the flexibility of its fleshy cousins’. In Cathay they spoke with vaunted voice of how such wolves could bite at foes to their rear while still running forwards. But the Ape hadn’t just snapped the wiry bones. He had completely crushed them, windpipe and all, and the wretched whistle of air through the alpha’s gaping maw resembled a whine rather than a roar.

Touma expanded his gaze from his defeated prey, such that now he could look the others in their mismatched green eyes. He met them each in turn, tasting the plethora of emotions they shared. Exultation. Triumph. Tumult.

As pawns, they had served him well. He had succeeded in encountering Pode again, in learning a little more of how she operated, in glimpsing a weakness that he might yet exploit. They – and she – had taught him in turn not to take his learning for granted. His preconceptions regarding the Dur’Taigen could have led him to his death. He would heed that lesson well.

And he had learnt the location of another base of operations within the Red Forest, one that could yet rival Xem’zund’s former lair in its usefulness. Yes, all in all it had been a good day.

Hand on hilt, he breathed deep of rotting fur and sloughing flesh. He stepped forth, straw sandals slipping with silent surety over the treacherous rubble.

The patriarch posed little threat now, even were the Dog to cease her incessant incantations. It had lost its challenge, and thus it had lost control of its pack. Perhaps that made the manse more dangerous than ever, with rogue Dur’Taigen roaming its darkened halls and cramped passageways. But Touma had no intention of sticking around to find out.

Looking to his pieces one last time, he could now see the cracks that breached their cause. In one another they only saw weakness and ignorance, selfishness and stupidity. Not even the threat of the Lindequalme would hold them together now; with their triumphant defeat of a common foe, how much longer would it be before they turned on one another? Would he have the time or the energy to waste dealing with such petty mortal grievances?

No.

“Fools,” he whispered in their direction, summoning willpower to his fingertips. A mirror-like sheen of arcane energy snapped into place behind him, anchored by the pillar of light and the arch of the Dur’Taigen patriarch’s dangling hind legs.

King leaves King standing. Stalemate.

One step into the portal erased him from sight. Like the knell of a closing coffin, it snapped shut in his wake.

Only pungent ozone remained.
    -Level 3-

Spiteful words and back-stabbing fist,
    Forked tongue with poison at its tips,
    Hateful eyes and deceitful lips.

EXP: 12,177, Level: 4
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 1,823
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,823
    GP

Name
    Alyssa Dianne Snow
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Platinum Blonde
    Eye Color
    Pale Blue-Green
    Build
    5'6"/125lbs
    Job
    Empress of the Tarot Hierarchy

View Profile
    “What a dick,” Alyssa mouthed. “Fine. Leave us with a mess. Again.”

Alyssa stepped forward in false confidence. The Dog, The Ape, they had all done their work to help finish off this final threat. The Arsehole, well, he had certainly lived up to his name. The gunner holstered her revolvers and approached the Alpha. The beast looked into her eyes, and she saw a glimmer of the young pup it may have once been. Yet even as it embraced its final moments, the Dur’Taigen kept its fangs bared.

“Oh, so you’re going to be the one?” Zack casually added. Illara continued her ancient chant, but her sense of urgency to finish it off did not need words.

In truth, Alyssa felt a sense of pain in the animal; controlled by Pode for Thayne knew how long… It was a puppet to a supposed higher power, bred for some awful purpose. In its fading light, Alyssa saw herself. Would this be a fate she herself would succumb to one day?

The pillar’s light began to fade. Illara’s spell had reached its effective limit.

“I’m sorry,” Alyssa whispered to a beast that could barely breathe. The blonde closed her eyes and focused. The untapped energies of the wind and air flowed around her, into her, and manifested in the core of her synthetic body. The Alerian artefact pulsed and the space about her arms warped the light which passed through it. Wielding the wind as arcane blades upon her fists, Alyssa opened damp, crystalline eyes on her target.

Then, she savagely thrust her arm where one of her ice bolts had deprived the beast of its sight. As meat met magical vacuum, surges of thick ichor poured from the wound. Myriads of stomach churning slurps, pops, and gurgles joined the Illara’s elvish song. What would have been the Alpha’s cries of pain only manifested as a soft whimper. She drove her hand deeper, through the socket, to the nerve, and with fair resistance from hardened skull, into much softer tissue.

The beast surged, the gunner’s arm twisted, and the Alpha’s light snuffed out into darkness of the veil.

Alyssa let out the breath she held captive during the execution. As she fought back the thoughts stirring in her mind from Pode’s forked tongue, the girl pulled her bloodied appendage. Deep red rivulets ran off her fingertips and joined the ever-growing pool upon the shattered floor. Illara’s light faded and her song stopped.

“It’s done,” Alyssa spoke in soft, remorseful tones.

“‘Bout time,” the Ape added with an callous shrug of his shoulders. Alyssa shot him a dark glare. He grinned.

“Wasn’t sure you’d have it in you. Y’know, being all ‘sweet and dear’ to Pode back there. Maybe you thought you could make it your pet?” He spared no mercy in his words and wore a toothy grin in their execution. The laughter which followed tipped Alyssa’s fragile psyche beyond her stern facade.

“Shut up, Mr. Vessel! Am I the only one here who wants to actually kill her and be rid of her?! And what is with the baby? Really?! A child on this kind of mission?!” Alyssa pointed her blood coated finger at him, ferocity in her eyes. “Where do you get off acting so arrogant and forcing some child into danger? What, to prove a point?! That you can handle this kind of thing with one hand behind your back?!”

Alyssa’s chest heaved heavy breaths.

“Well, I did, didn’t I?” came his response. He looked to Illara with a toothy grin as though looking for some kind of cheerleader encouragement. The elf stared back at him, face hard as granite. She had no approval to offer the boy.

“You’re an idiot! As headstrong as your ridiculous nickname, Ape! I hope the Thayne condemn you!” Alyssa shouted into a manse still thick with potential danger.

“Alyssa…” Illara began.

“No!” The girl shut her down in blind anger. “Before you even try to judge me, I’m out of here. You and this idiot can figure things out. I don’t need you. I don’t need him. I don’t need anyone. I can handle this on my own. I don’t need your approval.”

Alyssa lashed out with misdirected frustration. Her words bounced right off the boy and involuntarily struck somewhere close to Illara. The furious blonde saw her expression as one of pity, where as it was designed to be one of understanding. Red in the cheeks, Alyssa spun on her heels and began for the door which they had entered, and the Ogre had made an exit.

“Hey. Alyssa,” Illara continued, but her words fell on deaf ears. “It’s not what you’re made of that matters. It’s what you make of yourself.”

“Whatever...” she scoffed.

And then there were two.

EXP: 34,842, Level: 7
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next level: 158
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next level: 158
    GP

Name
    Zack Blaze
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    6'0'' 170 lbs
    Job
    Manipulator

Zack stood before the elf for a few moments, looking at the elf as if he expected some form of scold from her as well. The infant struggled against the hold of the youth as he kept her close to his breast. The street fighter reached down into his pants pocket and withdrew a small bottle from its contents. He continued to look at the Dog as he began to feed his ward, who hungrily grasped around at the air as she suckled down the milk.

"How long have you had that in there?" The bitchy elf finally spoke up.

"Long enough," Zack responded with a shoulder shrug, "I made sure it was freezing when I put it in my pocket, figured it would warm up through this exercise. Lo and behold, once again, I was right." He looked down towards his charge and then back up to the mongrel. "I suppose this is the point where you say something cliche and I storm off in a huff, eh?"

"Honestly, I could care less what you do, Ape."

"Well then, aren't we all sunshines and rainbows?" Zack said as he brushed past the elf. As he passed , he managed to shove his shoulder against her own. Her smaller body shifted backwards from the nudge and brought a fierce pair of eyes towards the simple smile of the street fighter. "By the way, what I do with this kid is none of yours, or anybody else's business, and if you get in the way of my goals, I'll roast you just as quick as I'll roast this brat."

He turned with a smile that could deceive a gambler. "You have a Thayne blessed day, you hear?"

And with that, there was one.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! You sound like a self-help book! I don't know if you're going to try to hit me or charge me $99 for your seminar! ~ Benimaru Nikaido to Ryo Sakazaki

EXP: 17,599, Level: 5
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 2,401
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,401
    GP

Name
    Illara
    Race
    Elf (Hybrid)
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'5"/Slender

View Profile
    The Ape departed, leaving me alone with the carcass of the beast and the murals of the Stars. I could feel their eyes upon me, boring into my soul and evaluating me. I could feel their disappointment; I was inadequate and unworthy. Though I had called upon them and wreaked their power on Pode’s minions, I was neither what they expected nor what they wanted. I could also feel their bitter resignation. I was there, I knew their lore and the ancient incantations. I was what they had to work with, and so I would have to do.

I shook my head to clear it; I was projecting common Raiaeran reactions to me into what I expected of their gods. The Stars are notoriously reluctant to act. Haide, they sat through the Corpse War! No way they’d actually move for Pode. No way they’d want to use me. It wasn’t them I’d invoked, just a dusty old spell stored in the stonework.

But the way my sword still glowed a bit at the edges…

Is light beginning to remember the Lindequalme? Shall the curse really be burned from it?

I looked at the ballroom, now empty but for rubble and waste. All three humans - rather, both humans and one magic-forged lifeform - had left. The males, full of hubris, thought they could twist the world to their whims. They did not see how small they were, how willing and ready it is to crush them into dust, to not even acknowledge them as footnotes in its vast and ancient song. The female, full of misplaced rage, felt judged from all angles. Ostracized. I knew that feeling; her tale is not so different from my own, half a century ago.

Their eagerness to part was folly; they were all half blind and deaf, loud and slow and clumsy. The forest would eat them alive. Such is the arrogance of youth; they think that if they cannot sense it, it cannot hurt them. Unfortunately, too many of them are served that lesson only once: the fatal occasion.

Perhaps it’s for the best. How Althanas suffers so many fools to breed has always been beyond me.

I left the crumbling mansion, walking steadily despite the throbbing in my head and left side. I could have turned back north and left the mission; my brother had not met me at any point on the journey and would not necessarily know I’d even responded to his letter. I had nothing to prove to Raiaera or her gods, as an abandoned child has nothing to prove to the mother who left her at a stranger’s doorstep. I had no need to see the forest cleansed; Raiaera’s efforts would have been far better spent in the once-fertile Plaguelands. Hell, it might have been better spent in the Emyn Naug. But Pode had called Mutt’s love and honor into doubt, when I have seen nothing in this world more sure and true.

I was going to shove her false words past her barbed tongue and watch them tear her apart from within.

I could feel the forest whispering around me, haunting and hungry. If it could, it would eat me alive, too. Though I was better equipped to deal with the dangers of the forest than the others, I did not doubt that unless I was extremely careful and exceedingly lucky, I might not escape the crimson copse with my life.

There is a lullabye, a very old song of warning to Raiaeran children. My sister, Thisearia, took great pleasure in singing it to me whenever we happened to be alone together. (Along with the ones warning about the evils of Alerians. She was kind of a bitch.) It floated to my mind as I stalked deeper into shadow, and I couldn’t help but murmur its menacing words while taunting Pode’s malevolence.

Hear the forest singing
    Its siren song of death,
    Where the Witch will chill your blood
    And freeze your very breath.
    Don't step beneath the blood oaks,
    Lest they rend your flesh from bone.
    Be wary of the blossom
    That will steal your very soul.
    Listen, child, and fear it!
    The horrors that begot,
    From wrathful Podë's curse:
    The land that light forgot.

Out of Character:
    Fin.

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    This was easily the best written quest of the tournament to date, but that is to be expected from four of the most veteran writers on the site. That said, there was certainly some room for improvement. Put frankly, the thread was too long. Though brevity is no longer on the rubric, it affects almost every category. In this particular thread, poor brevity negatively impacted action. Each individual movement, attack, reload, etc. was so meticulously described that I often found myself tempted to just skip ahead to the next plot point. It made the reading dense, and simply unenjoyable. It was like a Fast and Furious movie, where the writers tried to slam in so many special effects that the plot is lost between explosions. This thread could have achieved the same outcome in half the time. Poor brevity also affected your pacing, which is reflected in the score.

Your characters interacted well, so well, in fact, that found myself questioning whether some of you may have written for the others. Your posts were so heavily edited that it seemed like you were telling the story in a single stream of conscious with an occasional interjection of first person. While this helped communication, it slighted persona. The best character growth for anyone was written by Alyssa when the characters interacted with Pode. I was surprised when the party, already at odds with one another, didn't turn on Touma when Pode revealed he was after her power for his own. Finally, don't get me started on the baby. While I expected some type of possession or vessel subplot like what was hinted at by Pode, nothing ever came from it. It really seemed like Blaze included the baby as part of the storyline to show off how many badass moves he could pull off while juggling an infant. Again, neat in an action movie, annoying in writing. Really, it's like how the geeks on The Big Bang Theory described Raiders of the Lost Arc. Indiana was insignificant to the plot, just like the baby was here.

Writing, as I noted, was excellent. The writing flowed well, and except for some confusion caused by overly detailed maneuvers, was very clear. What prevented you from receiving higher scores here were some improperly utilized words and grammar mistakes, particularly from Alyssa and Zack Blaze. In technique, I enjoyed Wing's ongoing chess metaphor, but it never really fit the context of the story. This wasn't a calculated game of chess, but rather a romp through a dungeon with a beast cursed by Pode. Imagery was excellent though. The vines, holes and rotten wood really came alive. What prevented me from scoring higher in setting was the drab, overly complex actions.

Judgment Group 5 (Mongrel, Whispers of Abyssion, Alyssa Snow, Zack Blaze)

Story - 6
    Setting - 6
    Pacing - 5
    Communication - 6
    Action - 4
    Persona - 5
    Mechanics - 8
    Technique - 6
    Clarity - 7
    Wildcard - 5

Total= 58/100

The Mongrel receives 742 EXP and 93 GP
    Whispers of Abyssion receives 754 EXP and 87 GP
    Alyssa Snow receives 696 EXP and 87 GP
    Zack Blaze receives 986 EXP and 87 GP
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    EXP & GP Added!
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12