Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile

Cleanup Crew

Closed to Karuka

“Father Varias, guide these people in your light. Show us that the darkness is but a small period of discomfort in a lifetime of happiness,” The words carried on the breeze even as a man stood at the top of a gangplank. The sea blew a gentle breeze across his back, causing the leather duster he wore to crackle in the morning air. A smile caressed his face as he moved down into the bustling port of call, Radasanth. It had been months since he had been to this city, and he was keen to see what new wonders would grace him with their presence.

Moving down into the street he carefully affixed his hat cleanly atop his head, hiding the blonde locks underneath. He carefully felt the growing stubble on his face and sighed, he had not shaved since he got on board the ship. To the average person they would question the choice, till he pointed out one stiff breeze was all it took to cause him to cut himself. He dealt with enough dangers trying to murder him, he didn't want to inflict abuse upon himself.

The crowded port was a refreshing sight to the man from Berevar. In the north people were scarce, such that a large compound like the one that housed the Seraphs of Sintyre was truly unneeded. To see people in such numbers warmed the heart of the man devoted to letting them continue their lives. Sure, some were horrific, almost as bad as the demons he fought, but it wasn't his place to judge those who chose to live their lives poorly, only to give them the ability to choose.

The demon hunter shuffled through the crowds finally exiting the area surrounding his ship and taking stock of his gear. His gauntlets were carefully pulled up his arms even while he looked at the old construction. The buildings that surrounded the port were stone, possibly replacing older wooden buildings that would erode away with the seasons. Even then, small lines of rust orange from the more metallic stones leaked down the sides of some buildings. It gave the town a colder vibe than the Seraph would have liked, but he still knew better than to argue with things like aesthetics.

The smile never left his face while he moved forward into the city that served as the Port of Call to the greater Corone Area.
    "I see your soul, and I see the stains upon it..."

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Briny breeze stirred long auburn locks on its way inland. A woman sat on one of the rough-hewn pier pillars, balancing a spear on one arm and a golden bird on the other. Two sets of blue eyes looked out over the harbor; this breeze should have brought someone immensely special. But the sun was setting; no more ships would venture the crowded waters, and for another day, Karuka would miss the precocious child who had her attitude and the cunning of a man she’d once thought she knew.

Taische had asked, once or twice, about her father. The redhead had told her that maybe someday, when she was ready, she’d be able to meet him. Now she would just tell her that O’Sheeans didn’t need fathers. She’d gotten on well enough without one, after all.

“T’morrow, Taodoine.” She scratched the back of her pet’s head, staring wistfully across the sun-specked waves. “Fer now, I guess we find a place t’ sleep.”

She turned, feeling forlorn. Radasanth was far bigger than any settlement her daughter had ever seen, and the wonder with which she saw the world lit it up in ways the grown woman had long forgotten. The crowds, the noise, the smell of so-called civilization…everything was new to her daughter. It would be new again for her, as soon as the child was back in her arms.

Taodoine grumbled and fluffed himself out, then climbed up to his keeper’s shoulder to let her rise and walk.

A hat appeared ahead of them, bobbing along in a familiar fashion. Karuka hadn’t spent much time with its owner, but there was no mistaking who it was.

“T’viri!”

And surely, though it had been a decade, he would not have forgotten her.
    Last edited by Karuka; 09-09-15 at 07:13 AM.
    The Karu knows.

EXP: 5,347, Level: 3
    Level completed: 9%, EXP required for next level: 3,653
    Level completed: 9%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,653
    GP

Name
    Taviri Ambria
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile
    He stopped hearing the name amidst the chaos of the world about him. Taviri Ambria was known to so few, and even less that seemed keen on removing letters from the annunciation of his name. He turned and saw the tell tale streak of red making its way through the crowds towards him. He braced himself and sure enough a hearty hug his the demon hunter who returned it wholehearted. An easy smile graced his lips looking upon the tawny girl. He looked down upon Karuka before he carefully placed his hands on her shoulders, “Let me have a look at you. I haven't seen you since that grouch of a brother broke my jaw.”

"Yer ay lucky it was him that hitcha instead of me." She smirked when she sassed him, and he nodded, a chuckle escaping his lips. "I got 'im back fer y', though. Many times."

“That I was. Though it gave me perspective that while I was powerless, not everyone was. A blessing in disguise if nothing else," He shook his head slowly before he looked upon the red head, "As I live and breathe, the world has yet to extinguish you Karuka Tida O'sheean." He let the girl go and reached up removing his hat. A friend was rare for the Demon Hunter who was restricted to so few people in the world, and to see one well and alive was a gift, one he took gladly.

"I stopped usin' Tida just after last y' saw me. I'm just Karuka O'Sheean now," She replied solemnly. Taviri could feel a bit of anger behind those words before he nodded courteously and placed his hat on her head;

"That sounds like a story, perhaps we can trade it over drinks? It has been too long my friend.” She took the hat with a friendly smile that brightened his day, even as a beautiful specimen of a bird perched upon her shoulder. It nibbled on the hat before looking at his Glasses with an avaricious glint in it's eyes. It was enough for Taviri to know the thing was smart, if not fully intelligent.

"Never turn down a drink with a friend, I say, an' we're long overdue fer one," she replied with a smile. The two of them walked down the street next to each other, and the bird shifted to the shoulder nearest Taviri, eyes on his glasses. Karuka grabbed his beak and shook it gently, a playful admonishment.

“One might think you are sugaring me up with how sweetly to praise me,” A wry tone entered his voice even when he carefully looked upon her from beyond his lenses. The gift of the Sight was certainly a troublesome one taken in the wrong time, but he knew Karuka and her heart, he was merely confirming what he knew to be true.

Where once there had been a bleeding wound over her heart, it was mended, the scar fading and the damage slowly disipating. He left his smile upon his face seeing it gone and carefully hiked up his lenses hiding the visage of the true Karuka O'sheean. The sight was a burden at times seeing people as they truly were, but there were the few visages that he relished checking upon, and the woman who had helped him birth his Niece was foremost among them. A gauntlet clad hand carefully reached out to the bird who seemed to watch the hand carefully before he tilted his head, “May I?”

“Ask him,” Was the nonchalant reply.

“I just did,” He said simply. The bird moved to look at him for a moment before the head carefully bobbed up and down, assenting to his touch before he carefully felt the plumage of the Phoenix. “You have found a good friend it seems. What would be the name of your companion?”

“Taodoine,” The red head replied even as he carefully ran a finger down the neck of the bird. He nodded carefully and noted the contented look on the avian's face, cataloging it in case he would be required to watch it.

“Taodoine, a pleasure to meet you. I am Taviri Ambria, an old pupil of your caretaker,” Taviri put forth. He knew better than to use words like Master in relation to the two. Karuka was a free spirit and would never have enslaved such a bird. Not for it to be so happy, the bird seemed to nod in acknowledgment and went back to being carefully preened by Taviri. He looked upon Karuka once more an idle hand carefully running along the bird's feathers as he spoke, “To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?”
    Last edited by Taviri Ambria; 05-26-15 at 10:11 PM.

Daonnan Caillte
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    “I jus’ got back t’ C’rone not so long ago,” she explained to Taviri while they wound through the dense crowd. “I spent a good long time out in Kebiras after I put Seth in th’ ground – where I notice he did not stay. My firs’ stop was Salvar; I thought I’d be tellin’ my daughter’s father about her an’ takin’ her t’ meet ‘im, but…" a deep sigh escaped the deep red lips. "He’s not anywhere near th’ man I thought he’d become. An’ nothin’ like I want around my child.”

Taviri had looked at her sharply at the mention of her daughter, and Karuka needed no further prompting.

“Oh, ay. She’s about eight now.” Karuka snorted. “Th’ first thing I did, more or less, after leavin’ Seth was get pregnant. I named her Taische, and she is as stubborn as I am an’ smart as her father. I’d hoped t’ have a place t’ keep her by now while I went an’ found an’ talked t’ that bastard what needs his r'sponsible adult, but here she is, s’pposed t’ have arrived t’day, an’ I’ve got nothin’. I was invited t’ join the Ixian Knights, but somethin’ foul’s brewin’ under ‘em, an’ I’d ay rather not have her there when it happens. Especially if I'm not there t' protect her.”

“You also don’t want to drag her into whatever you need to go through to find Seth,” Taviri pointed out, leading them into a small inn with a pub attached.

“Tao would take care of her. In his mind, he’s as human as you or I, an’ she’s his tiny wee sister. But I need him at my side. A room, please,” she addressed the innkeeper. “Two cots. Let’s put our stuff up, T’viri. Carryin’ implements of trouble jus’ draws trouble, an’ sometimes it’s nice t’ just drink in peace.”

Coin and key changed hands, and the redhead led them up a creaky set of stairs to a small room. “I’ve got old friends in Akashima an’ Dheathain I’d trust t’ take care of her. I’ll prob’ly ask in Akashima, rather than double back an’ add months t’ th’ trip. I’ve already missed half a year with her, an’ she’s growin’ ay so fast.”

Karuka moved Taodoine to the back of a chair, scratching the feathers at the side of his head. “How’ve you been, T’viri? I’ve seen that not all goes well, but not so many d’tails.”
    Last edited by Karuka; 09-09-15 at 07:16 AM.
    The Karu knows.

GP

Name
    Taviri Ambria
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile
    “Things calmed down after Liliana got Seth back. She left with Samantha and they settled down in Lavinya for a few years, it was quiet,” He said thoughtfully as he looked over at the tawny red head. “I find it hard to believe that taking care of my Niece could make demon hunting look tame in comparison, but the girl has her father's pride. Always in fights, always refusing to let anyone tell her she was useless. I admired that about her, even if it made for long talks with the other children's parents. It wasn't hard to see the bias that plagued their hearts. They practically screamed it every time they made excuses about why their child was okay to throw rotten fruit, or sticks, or in a few of the bolder times, stones.

A bit of anger swelled in the normally serene man when he thought back to that particular argument. They had told him the girl was going to become her father's child and be a ruthless killer. That one nearly made him violent when he tried to rub their nose in the fact that by treating her like an animal, they were forcing her to become that animal. While in the past, it still brought the heat of anger to his chest and he worked hard to press it down. He shook his head before he looked at Karuka, “I fear for them, all three. So much anger, so much resentment, so much hate. Someone will set a match to their world, and I fear the ramifications of that.”

He let that hang for a moment before he put on a brave smile and said, “Enough doom and gloom for one day, I'm certain that isn't what you asked for. I'm mainly here to check on the chapel you helped us retake. I was sent to make sure it is still in our hands and that nothing untoward has happened.” He then opened the door and looked inside the room. A soft shrug went up before he carefully slid his pack off his shoulder onto the floor by the door. Moving into the room he carefully deposited his jacket and hat onto the back of the nearby chair for the table. He didn't look at her before he spoke, “I trust you've been having your hands full raising your own daughter. Congratulations on that by the way...”

Daonnan Caillte
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    "Oh, aye," the redhead agreed amiably, giving her phoenix a hand signal to indicate that he should remain in the room. "If she weren't a handful, she'd hardly be an O'Sheean, would she? If ever I give her a wee brother, he'll prob'ly be the milder one. Gods know I was more trouble than any lass was worth, while my mother's sons were good, dutiful, strong lads." She smiled and led them from the small but adequate room and down the creaky stairs.

"Then I'll pray if you have a second child, it's not another girl," Taviri chuckled.

"He won't be. Five generations now, th' firstborn child has always been a girl, an' all th' rest boys. Th' girl's th' only one with the Sight. Other than Seth's troubles of late, th' reason we're back t' this part of th' world is that Taische's startin' t' get visions. Her first one was... it was troublin'. All first visions are, really. But it was hard on her when it came true an' there was nothin' t' stop or change it. I'll be better able t' train her her. I was a guard an' adviser t' th' ruler of a minor kingdom, an' while y'd be surprised how willin' people are t' listen t' y' when ya can call forth a bloody big cat, it doesn't leave so much time as a buddin' clairvoyant needs. I've got ties t' Dheathain, an' she along with me. I can teach her a lot when we're there."

An' pray she doesn't have too much trouble or many more visions while I'm not there t' help her. A wooden ship is not a good place for a panicked wee firecrack.

Karuka frowned a little bit, sliding onto a stool while Taviri motioned through the smokey air for a round of ale - the best and bitterest in the place. When he'd taken a seat beside her, she smirked.

"It also doesn't leave much time fer regular supervision. D' y' have any idea what happens wi' a heap of ducklings, a small ceremonial fountain, an' a whole pail full of laundry soap when a five year old gets hold of it all at th' same time?"
    Last edited by Karuka; 06-08-15 at 09:19 PM.
    The Karu knows.

GP

Name
    Taviri Ambria
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile
    “If it is anything like what a girl left in a room with an old dog, a bucket of apples, and a corn husk broom, I can imagine,” Taviri replied warmly. Samantha channeled a bit of her father in the amount of trouble she could get into when left to her own devices. Several times he had to talk irate parents down from the many antics the girl would get int because she was otherwise shunned by the community. It made for some harrowing times when he would have to track down the little girl and where she had run off to. It turned out having white hair was not as easy a give away as one would think.

The tender returned with the drinks and set them on the bar. Taviri quickly paying for the round before he took a sip of the intoxicating beverage. Feeling the bitter sting of it he winced only slightly before he took a pull of the drink and sighed, “That certainly does wonders for the soul. I can see why Seth prefers Lavinian Ale.” He looked over at her before he spoke, “So you were saying something about Seth and his troubles. I haven't heard from Liliana or Seth recently, has something come to pass? Am I needed? More importantly, can I help?”

It was at that time a loud bout of shouting kicked up from the other end of the tavern. Taviri looked over into the corner to see a couple of men yelling at each other and shook his head. He merely went back to his drink sipping it as the tender called out for the men to keep it down. Things seemed to die for a bit as a somber mood filtered through the Tavern, leaving the two old acquaintances to their drinks and talk. He looked back as Karuka before he said, “I may not like my brother much, but if it helps Liliana, I'll do my damnedest to try.”

Daonnan Caillte
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Karuka lifted her drink to her mouth and scrutinized Taviri over it. Foggy white trickled through her irises while she probed the future to see if he was needed on this adventure, and she frowned at what she sensed. A mouthful of thick, smooth, bitter ale washed the expression away, and she leaned on the rough oak counter, not paying any mind to the commotion across the room. If it didn't have a few salty characters around, it was hardly a pub worth drinking in, at least in her mind.

"I don't b'lieve you'll be needed where Seth an' I'll go." Really, it was more that Taviri's specific skills were ill suited to help him survive the much more broad - and much more damaging - types of violence that tended to happen whenever she and Seth happened to exist within a mile of each other. Of course, if she told him that Samantha had been kidnapped, he'd insist on going, come hell or high water. Even if it got him killed.

She understood that; she'd do the same for Taische. She'd do the same for Samantha - she'd helped bring the child into the world, after all.

Drunken ire started rising again across the room, and her eyes sliced through the smoke to the perpetrators. They sounded like sailors fresh from Salvar to her ear. Most likely they were spoiling for a fight with unsuspecting foreigners, and alcohol was the only excuse they needed. They were certainly bothering their barmaid.

"But...If I were t' tell ya where my friends are in Akashima, an' go along with ya t' th' temple yer checkin' up on, would you take Taische th' rest of th' way? I need t' find Seth urgently, an' I can't think of anyone else I'd trust t' travel with my wee lass this side of Talmhaidh."

The serving wench's deep frustration turned to alarm, and Karuka glanced at Taviri again. "D' y' prefer a broom or a mop?" She drank deeply, while he just blinked at her, halfway risen from his seat so he could go talk some sense into those drunkards.

"What do you-?"

Mug empty, Karuka tested its heft, checked her aim, then sent it spinning over the rest of the patrons and into the head of the largest, closest sailor. Taviri looked at her over his glasses, one eyebrow arched. "Broom. But I thought you wanted a peaceful drink?"

"Ah, one tiny fight won't hurt anything. Might be fun." She grinned, reaching behind the bar for the cleaning implements while half a dozen big Salvarans stalked their way to the bar.
    Last edited by Karuka; 08-28-15 at 06:48 PM.
    The Karu knows.

GP

Name
    Taviri Ambria
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile
    Taviri looked upon the men as the broom slapped into the palm of his hands. He carefully twirled the cleaning instrument getting a feel for its heft lazily even when the Sailors came stalking forward. A quick swish of the broom gave him proper counterbalance as the redhead let out a coy giggle at their approach. The leader was holding the mug in his hands as he looked at the two of them.

“Is this supposed to be some kind of joke? 'Cause I don't find it very funny...” He growled at the two of them. Taviri looked at the offending mug before he carefully leaned to the side and looked at it.

“No sir, I believe that is a mug,” The priest replied straight laced. More giggling erupted as a few men chuckled at the straight line. Still the man narrowed his eyes before he snarled;

“I'd watch what you say four eyes. Where I come from you're just a hairs breadth from becoming a slave.”

Taviri looked at the man and shrugged before he said, “Where I come from you'd have been bear food but I don't like to brag about my upbringing. I mean, there is only so many ways you can go from demon's ransacked my village when I was six.”

One of the men noticed the talisman about his neck and slapped another man on the shoulder pointing to it. The men whispered softly as the muscle bound leader pushed forward to get close to Taviri. The Demon Hunter could smell the alcohol on his breath before he hissed, “You think you're tough? You think you can just throw dinnerware at me and get away with it because mommy and daddy died when you were young?”

“Not at all...then again I wasn't the one who threw it...” The man frowned at the blonde priest, who expanded on the thought, “...she did it.”

He turned just in time to catch the head of the mop heading straight for his face smacking him cleanly in the mouth. Blood stained teeth spat the occasional strand from the head before he threw a punch that the priest dodged and sighed, carefully bringing the broom about in a solid whack against the man's stomach. He felt the muscles flinch under the onslaught and knew it wouldn't wind the sailor, but probably cause some discomfort as she brought the slender end up in a swift blow.

It was around that point the other men were knocked out of their stupor and began the fight in earnest.
    Last edited by Taviri Ambria; 07-30-15 at 02:00 PM.

Daonnan Caillte
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    "We'll count th' first one as half, an' whoever takes out th' mos' of th' rest wins." Karuka slid neatly underneath a swift knife swipe that had aimed to relieve her of an eye, then drove her fist into the offender's jaw. While he reeled, she slammed the dingy mop head into the face of a second man who had yet to learn that sneaking up behind a clairvoyant was an exercise in futility. The pair on her looked to be teenagers, not fully grown into their adult strength and skill. Unlike their three slightly older shipmates, they'd gone after the apparently easier target. Maybe they'd think better next time.

She went on the attack, spinning her poorly-balanced mop so that it caught the scruffy, armed teen in the face. He tried grabbing onto the head, but she held fast, digging her heels in and jerking him roughly around to collide with one of the men on Taviri. Just to help even the odds.

The darker sailor, the one who had attacked her from behind, came at her again, barreling at her to take her to the floor where he'd have the advantage. She jumped, driving the handle of her mop into his kidney and slamming her boot into his skull. His head bounced off the floor with a nasty CRACK! and he laid still.

The two she’d tangled up bolted back to their feet, looking between the priest and the redhead who’d taken down their comrade. Other than the sounds of Taviri battling their shipmates, the bar was silent, all patrons and staff watching the brawl with apprehensive interest. Karuka sighed; this was a nicer place than she remembered from times long past. Back then, the whole tavern would have been engaged in a friendly riot at the first hint of violence.

Oh well.

She spun her mop, stabbing the head into the floor with an unnecessary flourish. Her left hand raised, inviting the unoccupied sailors forward. They accepted, drawing dark iron knives and skulking forward, looking for any weakness.

“Y’ doin’ all right, T’viri?”
    The Karu knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast