Copper
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.78m/68kg
    Job
    Pickpocket, Hand-for-hire

View Profile
    Amary accompanied him during the short trudge from Hellebore’s tent to the center of the camp, where the matron was ladling out stew from her boiling pot. That night, members of the caravan were quieter than they usually were. Fii felt eyes on him as he walked.

The camp was set at the foot of a hill, in a small clearing surrounded by trees on one side and the road on the other. There was a rock pillar along the road, a marker that indicated that they were at the edges of the Bradbury territory. Per usual, the fire was lit in the center of the camp. The men and women of the troupe and the caravan sat on boulders or on the ground, or wherever they could make space between the scattered tents.

Angus was sitting alone, slumped against a tree. Fii found a spot beside Angus, and Amary came with him. Then Fii tried to apologize, but Angus made a face and turned his back against Fii.

“You ignored me first, bastard. Let me ignore you now. Let me. Please.” Angus said.

There was no bite in those words, and the humor was easy. Fii shrugged and sat down to eat, a quick grin spreading on his face as he glared intensely at his stew. Suddenly, he was ravenous. Good. He doesn’t blame me. The easy companionship of the crew reminded him of a home that he had left a year ago, and now missed dearly. If he could, he would love to preserve this easy relationship forever.

“Baneberries,” Hellebore said, inspecting the small white berry. “Sometimes called the doll’s eyes berries. A handful can kill a grown man. Two’ll be enough to kill a child.”

Jaden drew a sharp breath, and eyed Fii with suspicion. The amulet in his hands glowed eerily in the evening’s dark. The man stood at one side of the impromptu triangle. Hellebore was at its center. Harold had his arms around Amary at a second corner, and Fii rounded up the last.

The look on Harold’s face was grave concern and barely veiled anger, which served to line his wizened face even more harshly than usual.

Hellebore crushed the berries in her fingers. Her eyes passed between Fii and Amary. “How many did the two of you eat?”

Amary looked at Fii queasily. “None,” she said. “But Fii had a few.”

Silence hang over the group. The cool evening wind swept through the clearing, and Fii trembled with it.

“Foolish,” Harold snapped. “Did neither of you check with Jaden or I before touching those? Don’t touch what you don’t know while you’re on the road.”

Amary shrunk back, and her father grasped her tightly. Fii wanted to do the same, but there was nothing behind him other than bushes and rocks and the shadows cast by nearby trees. Instead, he shrunk down upon himself, staring at his shoes again. His lips tasted bitter, like gall.

He had chanced upon the berries after dinner, after Angus had stalked off alone. Don’t follow me, the other boy said, and Fii listened. Then Amary demanded her story. They found a quiet spot to sit, and there were berries beside them. He hadn’t thought much of it, and plucked a few to share with Amary. Then Jaden ran over with his glowing amulet and roaring voice, and slapped the berries from Fii’s hands.

Jaden looked at Fii suspiciously. “Or did you know what they were? Were you trying to poison her?”

The shock that sprung through his system was real, as was the injustice he felt at being accused thus. Fii stared straight at the other man, and kept his face artfully blank, because if he did not, he would rage. Jaden had always thought the worst of Fii, but Fii hadn’t realized just how lowly the other man had thought of him until this moment.

And yet, he had almost poisoned himself and Amary both. And yet, Jaden had carried him back to the camp earlier during the day, after he had collapsed beside the road after running off alone. Both thoughts made him feel guilty.

Jaden stared back, unrelentingly, as though challenging Fii to defend himself against the accusation. The man’s gaze was strong, and the amulet in his hand seemed to buzz with an unknown power.

“I did not,” Fii said, softly, but clearly. “I’m sorry. I should have known better.”

Hellebore glared at the two of them, and broke the tension. She tsked impatiently. “Blame him later. Apologize later. How many is a few?”

The sudden question brought Fii back. He had to think about it. “Two?” he guessed.

“Two,” she repeated, eyes on Fii. The weight of her stare made him step back, uncertainly.

At one side, Jaden snorted. Harold pulled Amary closer into his grasps, Amary stole peeks at Fii.

“What can we do?” Harold asked.

“Nothing,” Hellebore said. “Nothing here, because we have nothing. Pray to your gods. He’s sleeping in my tent tonight. Pray that he only had two. Then he might have a chance of waking up tomorrow. We’ll find somewhere to dump his body if he doesn’t.”

Amary flinched. Fii flinched with her. Harold pulled her away, and gave Fii a look of almost sympathy. Fii felt sick to the bottom of his stomach, and he wasn’t sure if it was for himself or for Amary. Two could kill a child, Hellebore had said. Fii flushed green.

“We’ll make sure everyone else knows not to touch it,” Harold said, nodding at Jaden.
    Last edited by Vendredi; 01-16-16 at 07:06 PM.

EXP: 12,060, Level: 4
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next level: 1,940
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,940
    GP

Name
    Firelis Tvy’ern (Fii; Sceadwe)
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Copper
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.78m/68kg
    Job

View Profile
    “Did you do it on purpose?” Hellebore asked, when Jaden had went away to warn the others, and Harold pulled Amary away to his tent.

The flash of anger was quick and hot. “No, I -- “

“Two,” Hellebore said, cutting him off. “Are you sure?”

Hesitation replaced anger. I’m not. “I am.”

“Dizziness,” she said, glancing at him and signalling him to walk with her. “You’ll feel confused, incoherent. There might be sharp pains at your temples, and you might see white fire dancing. Then your lips and throat will be parched, possibly constricted. You won’t be able to swallow. Your abdomen will begin to burn, and your kidneys will hurt. Your heartbeats will be irregularly and fast. Then you will be weary. Verily so.”

He gazed at her as they walked through the camp, confused with an ominous sensation creeping up his spine.

“These’re the recorded symptoms,” she said. “And if you’re lucky, you’ll wake up from it.”

If I’m lucky, he thought. He tried to swallow down the ball of anxiety pushing up his throat, but could not. He tried to quell the rapid beating of his heart, but could not. He tried to flex the bones in his thin fingers, but they felt stiff, as did all the bones in his ankles and toes and spine. He gulped, and that went down, mercifully.

They drew close to Hellebore’s tent. Y’edda save me.

The night went well, all things considered. Fii did wake up the next morning, to his own great relief, despite being ravaged to the bone by the poison. Every bone in his body felt soft, and every muscle felt like they had been through a meat-grinder. The push to sit upright was an uphill battle. Wrestling with the prospects of his own mortality was an experience that Fii hoped to never repeat.

Am I prepared to die? No. I’m not.

I’ll apologize to Amary again, he decided when he had finally managed to sit up. He stared like an idiot at his own feet. And Angus. And Hellebore. Even Jaden. Hellebore rushed to his side, and the speculative look on her face made him turn his face away.

“Drink this,” she said, pushing a wooden bowl into his fingers.

“What is it?” His voice was a bare rasp. The contents smelled like woodbark and sewage. His nose twitched, but he drank it anyways. It tasted no better than it smelled.

Yet, the effects of the brew was undeniable, and it blasted a hole through the fog covering his mind. Moments later, he was conscious enough to understand his own jumbled thoughts.

Thoughts that consisted of leaving. Thoughts full of self-deprecation. My fault. My fault. Everything’s my fault. Nothing good followed his footsteps. He had seen more misfortunes than he could count on both fingers in the past year. He had almost brought another tragedy to this caravan. Perhaps he was marked. Cursed by the fae whom he had almost destroyed. Perhaps he should leave.

“Take a walk,” Hellebore said, plucking the bowl out of his fingers. “Fresh air will be good for you. Get some food into your body. You’ll need it.”

He nodded without thinking, and allowed her to push him up. She supported him through the short walk out the tent, and helped him settle on a log outside. Throughout it all, her expression was inscrutable.

The morning air was humid and warm. His eyes lingered on the dew drops that spotted blades of grass. To his left, a ladybug took flight. Suddenly, he was back in the Otherworld, in the land of the fae, where colors were more vivid and the world more real. Then Amary shuffled to his side, and sat down beside him. There was a book in her hands, and she laid it open on her knees. Neither of them spoke. She read while he sat, staring at faraway trees. He found the air hard to swallow.

Moments later, Amary peeked up at him shyly. He dodged her eyes. His fidgeting fingers picked at the grass and wild summer flowers, and wove a crown of flowers and grass. He felt her eyes following his fingers.

“Can I have that?” she asked.

The smile that slipped out was unbidden and genuine, and he offered her the crown. She clapped in delight. He laughed.

Perhaps he should leave. But I don’t want to.

EXP: 12,060, Level: 4
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next level: 1,940
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,940
    GP

Name
    Firelis Tvy’ern (Fii; Sceadwe)
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Copper
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.78m/68kg
    Job

View Profile
    The first drops of rain fell when they were breaking fast. Then came the downpour, and that did not stop. Not the next morning, or the one after, or the one after that.

For three days, they pushed through the storms, weathering the cold and wet misery. Dirt ground turned into mud beneath their feet and wagon wheels. Rocks and grass roots slid from where they were previously buried, and found new homes in the mud pools and water puddles. The tents would not hold their shape, and there were few trees and no rock walls that could serve for shelter. There was no fire, either, and that meant cold rations. The horses began stumbling by the third day. The journey had became dreadful.

Tempers were frayed at the edges. The only saving grace was that Jaden’s attention was off of Fii. Fii should be grateful, but he could not. Not when he was standing in the middle of a downpour like a drowned fox.

“Goddamn it,” Angus cursed, passing a metal rod to Fii. “Help me pry this --”

More curses. This time, Fii joined in. A wagon wheel was stuck in the mud, caught on rocks and tree roots. The matron shot them a dirty look from her spot inside the wagon and blocked Amary’s ears. Fii looked up apologetically, before turning his attention back to the wheel. The rod was ice-cold between his fingers.

To one side of the road, Harold and Jaden had their heads buried in deep conversation. Soon, that conversation grew louder, and their words carried despite the rain.

“We need to slow down,” Jaden warned. “You’ve been pushing too hard.”

“Two days to the orchards. They have a trading post. Our men can rest there.”

Trading post, Fii thought. Shelter. Shelter would be nice in a weather like this. His fingers were too numb for his grip to hold, and and the metal rod slipped out of his fingers. He cursed beneath his breath and sank his fingers into the mud to retrieve it.

“Two days when weather is clear,” Jaden’s voice was harsh. “With our horses in this state? With our men in this state? We’re looking at four, at least.”

A pause. Then Harold said: “Two. We’ve done it in two before. The ship’s docking in a week at the harbour, and it’s going to turn around and leave if we’re not there. We don’t have four days.”

Damn it. Fine, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Damn it, Fii echoed, as the wheel jerked up and forward under Angus’s and his combined efforts. His arms were strained taut from the weight. In front, the horses took tentative steps, and the wagon began to move.
    Last edited by Vendredi; 01-25-16 at 08:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12