True to his word, Vitruvion did not blindfold her. Instead he led her from the carriage out to the front of a large stone building that Avis recognised as an older part of the city. It was also fairly devoid of any loud bustling crowds. The streets therefore were quiet, with only a few couples and gang members stalking the streets. The building itself was a broad-faced place, with small windows and lichen growing thick upon the stone. Age was clear in its work, for cracks were prevalent and dirt clung in tight bunches. A small but double door stood as the entrance, facing directly onto the street, wooden and reinforced with iron. Aside from that, however, this place looked as if it was the dingiest, grimiest pub.

Avis raised her brow, turning back around to look at Vitruvion. He chuckled a little at her expression, and strode forth to rap on the door with the top of his cane. Glancing around Avis began to consider that it would in fact be a good time to attempt a run, but her usual trepidations stopped her. No matter where she went, Vitruvion would easily find her. And besides, Brer was stepping heavily down from the back of the carriage, unbuckling the mattock as he did.

A creak and the door opened, revealing a short, skinny man who looked less like a guard and more like a secretary. He wore a pair of pinz-nez on the end of his long nose. With one look up at Vitruvion he nodded and stepped back, no words coming out of his mouth. Vitruvion stepped right in, not even pausing to gesture for Avis to follow him. Instead she used her own incentive, stuck between the door and a giant. She folded her arms and stalked into the dank building, her claws clacking on the ground. It took a moment for the man to realise that he had seen her before, but that time blindfolded and dressed in a mountain of rope and chains. She quirked the corner of her mouth up into a smile, and gave him a sly wink.

"Stare, stop showing off and hurry up."

She looked up and saw Vitruvion over the far side of the large, dingy and sparse entrance room. He stood beside a closed door, his eyebrows crushed and his expression frowning with impatience.

"Stare!"

Rolling her eyes she twisted around and headed after him, picking up her feet. "I'm coming," she grunted.

When she got to him, he stepped around her and nudged her forwards with his cane. She stumbled forwards slightly, catching herself with a step. This she turned into a movement, and soon she was walking ahead, Vitruvion close behind. Brer stepped in behind after that and they started their way down, Avis taking point. Vitruvion carefully guided her through the myriad of stairs, rooms and corridors, murmuring quietly vocally, and eventually only into her mind. It was when they were descending the final stair to the great mess hall of the guards that she paused.

The last time she had come here with sight was through the door at the opposite end of the room. That was a large, heavy and iron door, without windows. It had a massive padlock on the current side, bolted. That had been an addition after Avis' escape attempt had led her into this room, and then collapsed to the floor. Since then, though the security of the Hollow had simply got tighter hence the padlock now this side of the door.

As she descended a score of eyes turned to her. Avis paused, eyes growing large as she stopped on the steps, clawed hands around her. Silence fell, and bodies froze, going from casual conversation to 'what the hell' looks. Her beak parted slightly, as she felt the stab of anxiety run through her and she ducked her head. Out of the corner of her eye she saw hands inch towards weapons on hips and tables.

"For the sake of Hadia," Vitruvion's voice appeared above her. She turned her head and saw him, a couple of steps above her, disapproval in his eyes. But for once it wasn't for her. Instead he was focusing on ... The room. He sighed, coming further down and placing a hand on her shoulder. "All of you should know by now that Stare is a permanent part of my business household. She is no longer a guest here, but a respected member of my society. Any hands laid on her, either for sex or for other matters will be subject to me." He paused, and encouraged her forewards. She stumbled down the last few steps in an awkward manner, a growl in her throat. "Think of her as my servant, the same level as one of you, not as a guest here."

"Except you don't pay me," Avis muttered.

Vitruvion paused, hearing what she said. Others near the bottom of the stairs heard and they twisted up mouths into amused grins. The half-celestial pretended to think for a moment, and ended up nodding.

"That is true. I don't, do I. Well, then, you are more of my slave, then."