Hair Color
    gold
    Eye Color
    green
    Build
    @_@
    Job
    wanderer

Sakura might have slept in until noon if she didn’t here the morning sparrows sing their awakening songs. Sakura kept her eyes closed, singing birds were not the best sign when dealing with tengu, but of coarse it was a silly superstition. The Tengu had nothing to do with sparrows and couldn’t even change into the pretty avian, though a crow or raven could have been a spy but that would scare away the smaller birds. So perhaps it was a good sign.

The bedroll felt smaller and tighter than before. But the answer was obvious and when Sakura opened her eyes she saw Osato next to her. He had managed to squeeze in with Sakura without even waking the vixen. He seemed capable of subtlety after all. The Kiko smiled as she hoped that she could rise with the same dexterity that he was capable of and to not wake him, gently Sakura slip from the cover, doing her best not to let her tail Brush Osato or to disturb the blanket off of him.

Once Sakura was up she stretched and looked in the mirror, not too much a mess. But the tengu wouldn’t care if her fur was a mess or impeccable but it was something Sakura wanted to be sure she looked ok setting out and have a bit of decency. Roughed up fur would just leave a strange impression on the townsfolk and Sakura didn’t want that though she didn’t plan on returning.

Today’s the day. I have to save her. I hope I won’t hold back Osato. Sakura smiled over toward the man a she wagged her tail with apprehension. She would fight this day and fight for her sister and Osato would be fighting for her sister. This was going to work; she would save her sister from the vicious goblin birds.

Sakura snuck towards the door and slid it open, creeping out as to not wake the mercenary, she wanted him to sleep and rest as well as he could, it was the least she could do and anyway he’ll be happy to awake to some nice breakfast. Once out of the room Sakura became a bit more careless with her walk and the grogginess started to show.

“Haha so how was last night?” One patron asked having a morning cup of tea, a ragged farmer with a knowing smile.

“Uh it was fine.” Sakura felt a tad bit nervous as she heard the odd tone in the man’s voice.

“You were quiet didn’t even hear a gasp, a bit disappointing huh?”

“Uh no it wasn’t. I had a great sleep.”

The barkeep started to refill the man’s cup then whispering. “Leave the girl alone, she may be a fox but that doesn’t mean she isn’t a lady and can talk about that kind of stuff.” The farmer got the hint and shut up while the barkeep turned to Sakura. “What would you like this fine morning?”

Sakura felt a little easier not having the man probe into the events at the last night even though it was uneventful. “I want two bowels of Udon with some chicken and vegetables.”

“Uh noodles alright a bit early don’t you think?”

“Eh I just feel like some now.”

“Alright miss.”

“And some tea.” Sakura sat down and waited for the noodles to be cooked and the tea to be brewed. A good breakfast would be important. She and Osato needed a sharp mind and strong body to face the tengu. Wow she was getting anxious, constantly wagging her tail, the Kiko couldn’t wait to see her sister again.

GP

Name
    Osato Lysser
    Race
    Soulless
    Hair Color
    Brownish, with off white crown
    Eye Color
    Deep blue
    Build
    6' // 195 lbs
    Job
    mercenary

Countless years of waking at the same time brought Osato’s eyes open in the morning, thought the sweet song of sparrows did not go unappreciated. The sell-sword remained still though, unsure if the woman at his back was asleep still or not. His mute query was answered as she rose, leaving him in the bedroll. She moved with the grace of a cat, quick and lightly. She was silent, and for that Osato felt slightly more comfortable.

He listened while he remained quiet. Sakura’s footsteps were light, a sign that Osato took as quick on her feet. His mind was trying to place her, trying to fit her into a position in a battle. If these tengu were akin to a goblin then there would assuredly be a battle on their hands. And if they were anything like he was imagining, able to fly and fight, then it would be dexterity that would bring them to victory.

Osato counted slowly as the woman departed the room. It was when he counted ten of her footsteps, discernable from the others of the upstairs rooms that he finally moved. The sell-sword stretched and sat up. The morning was always the same, a routine he had begun during his training with the marines of Yerria. The young man began with sit-ups, then push-ups, then back to a form of crunch, then into inverted push-ups. He was quite dexterous, and only getting more so with time. His inverted push-ups were now only with his own balance, holding himself in a handstand, and he could push himself to ten before having to drop down again.

After ten minutes of exercise, which was his mandatory amount and the minimum per morning, Osato began to dress again. His shirt and drall went on first, then all the trinkets of sentimental and religious value, and finally his armor and sword. The mercenary gave a final chuckle at the hole along the back wall, the morning sun peering through it, and then slid the door open.

In the hallway he was greeted by many people. Their eyes were admiring and their tones welcoming. Osato felt warm and happy, though fighting and death was on the bill for chores to do the morning would at least be easy. With a flash of his impeccable and a last check over his immaculate clothes Osato began down the stairs and towards breakfast.

“Good morning Sakura,” Osato said as he rested his sword against the front of the bar and smiled. The barkeep was turned around, rustling with bowls and food. Osato paid little attention to him while he was busy. “How are you doing this morning? It seems like it will be another humid day, to say the least, but at least the partly cloud sky will give us some shelter from the sun.”

“Morning young man,” the barkeep said as he turned around, placing Sakura’s order before her. There were bowls of noodles, meats, and vegetables. Osato wondered how she would be able to eat such foods so early in the morning, but he had eaten worse when there were no options. But it was no such time. “Thank you for keeping it quiet last night. You’ll have to forgive my anxiousness; I’m not used to having people with such… charisma in my inn and tavern. Didn’t quite know how the regular people were gonna act towards it. Anyway, what can I get you to eat?”

“Not a worry. Could I get four eggs, over easy, a piece of bread, some fruit (whatever you have) and a cup of tea? I think that’ll be it…” Osato said, offering the man one of his benevolent smiles. As soon as he had finished, the man having already poured his tea and left to give the order to the kitchen, the sell-sword once again turned to Sakura.

GP

Name
    Sakura
    Race
    Kiko
    Hair Color
    gold
    Eye Color
    green
    Build
    @_@
    Job
    wanderer

Sakura was truly happy to see Osato up so soon with a good morning to her. “Morning Osato.” Sakura chirped before she sipped the green tea that was placed before her. Osato spoke about the weather and he seemed right as the bit of disappearing morning fog would mean it was humid and the heat would rise. “Oh don’t worry it’ll cool down when we get to the mountains, they aren’t far and there’s still snow on the tops.” The kiko tapped her foot worriedly. I hope we don’t have to go that far though. It’s still so cold. Sakura thought but there was also the fact that there would be no place to hide on the snow capped peaks.

It wasn’t long before Noodles were placed in front of Sakura but before she could scoot the second bowl to Osato he ordered and it seemed like he was surprised that she would eat that in the morning. Trying not to look embarrassed the vixen started to eat her Udon, both bowls, she was hungry but not that hungry and it was an attempt to save face.

Actually this might be a good idea. Sakura thought as she ravenously attacked the bowl of Udon while using the chopsticks to push the rice noodles, chicken and vegetables into her waiting muzzle while using some cloth to clean the mess up. Osato ordered his meal about the time Sakura was done with half the first bowl. “Hey slow down lady, enjoy the food.” The barkeep laughed.

“Um sorry. It’s really good.” Sakura apologized as she slowed her pace but still was eating faster than anyone in the establishment. Osato turned toward the vixen, making her feel like she needed to say something and so she decided to give her plan of approach. “I think we’ll approach the mountains though the little forest, I think there’ll be cover and they can’t spot us. I think we should leave as soon as we’re done eating.” Sakura smiled as she found herself only able to eat a couple of noodles in the second bowl before she felt like she’d burst if she ate any more.

GP

Name
    Osato Lysser
    Race
    Soulless
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Deep blue
    Build
    6' // 195 lbs
    Job
    mercenary

Saying the woman was near ravenous was an understatement. Sakura basically inhaled the noodles before her. Just as the sticks that the fox-woman used to eat were clinking against the porcelain bowl the order Osato placed was done. The eggs were steaming, the bread was fluffy and torn in half, and there were two pieces of fresh fruit on the plate. One was of a yellow coloration and looked like a pear, a nashi, and the other something called a kaki and was orange.

Osato sighed as he poked at the orange object with a fork, eliciting a squirt of juice from its ripe exterior. The sell-sword sipped the warm tea. It was soothing and sweet and Osato understood why the people drank so much of it. He took down one of the eggs in a single bite, followed quickly by a bite of his bread. The food was good, to say the least, but the protein was what he wanted most. It did not matter what the food tasted like as long as the nutritional value was good for the young man’s body.

“How far are these forests from here?” Osato asked between bites of food. With another sip of tea he swallowed another egg and continued on. “I suppose your right about the mountains, but hopefully we won’t have to go that far up there…”

The young sell-sword finished his food and had his tea refilled. The woman that was sitting next to him was different. She looked like she was almost ready. Osato placed a small golden coin on the bar as the keep returned with a fresh cup of tea. The scent was enough to start the man’s mouth watering even with the fresh breakfast barely behind him.

“Do you know exactly where your sister is located, or being hidden? That would probably help a little more then in the mountains,” Osato sipped at his tea while he waited for Sakura to finish her breakfast. The noodles looked appetizing, but his stomach was already at the exact point that he wanted it at. He would not be hungry till at least noontime and he was not overstuffed. Content and perfect. “You ready?”

GP

Name
    Sakura
    Race
    Kiko
    Hair Color
    gold
    Eye Color
    green
    Build
    @_@
    Job
    wanderer

Since eating anymore food would probably result in getting sick, Sakura concentrated on business at hand, the sooner they got moving the better. Osato seemed to have many questions, as caution was a good sign. It seemed like her partner wasn’t the type to rush in, though he did show some outgoing signs and recklessness in social action that would be fatal if things got dangerous.

“The forest is close, only a short ways away though we’ll probably don’t want to use the path.” Sakura dabbed her muzzle and stood up to stretch her arms. She didn’t want to rush Osato and tried to make sure that her stance wasn’t impatient. “And I’m hoping Sis will be in the Tengu village, they shouldn’t keep her anywhere else but the village won’t be easy to find.” The vixen finished with an optimistic note as she nodded at the ready. “I’ll meet you out side. The fresh air will wake me up more and allow me think more clearly as we walk.” The Kiko bowed as she exited the tavern to look outside.

The village was peaceful in the morning; all the people who weren’t in the tavern were in the fields, which would be alive with work songs and the sowing of rice and other crops. The forest that they would traverse would be calm too; only a handful of woodsmen harvested the trees since most were too scared to leave the village for the Tengu.

Sakura smiled as she went to lean on building. No since going ahead of her partner. The fox girl was sure she would need his help as the Tengu might attack, especially once she finds their village. That was going to be the hard part, finding her sister in the Tengu’s nest without getting in too much trouble. If the whole Village of the bird goblins found her there would be no escape other than to meet the same fate as her sister. “We’ll cross that bridge when it comes.” Sakura told herself sure the answer would offer itself once she reached the village and would look for her sister.

GP

Name
    Osato Lysser
    Race
    Soulless
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Deep blue
    Build
    6' // 195 lbs
    Job
    mercenary

Osato smirked as he listened to the vixen speak. If the forests were close there was little they would have to worry about on the way there. The sell-sword was young and rather inexperienced when it came to tasks like the one he had accepted. But what he did know was that any known path would be watched on the way to the Tengu village, if they had even a bit of thought. He also knew that an ambush was much harder to fight out of then use, and Osato had no intentions of being on the inside of a trap. If anything, his mind was beginning to think of ways to spring a quiet trap on his opponents.

Even before Sakura had left the room proper, the door still swaying on its hinges, the young sell-sword turned on his bar. Osato was again looking into the eyes of the barkkeep. "You happen to have a small pack of some sort? I'm going to need some rations for the rest of today and a water-skin. What do you have? I can pay for all of it."

The keeper's smile broadened as he shuffled under the bar. When he came up he was holding two small water skins. "Those should do you well," he responded politely. Before Osato had time to thank him the man left to the back and then reappeared with a small leather bag. The armstraps were thin and long, but had a possible way to tighten them. It was bulging. "And that should do for the rest. I put in ten rice balls, some more of that nashi, and two rolls of bread. Don't worry about the price though. It is not often that we see people as benevolent as you. Since that young fox-woman won't be able to pay you take this as your reward instead... and stay safe."

The sell-sword was flabergasted. Such kindness was not something he was used to, especially from strangers and humans. He shook the man's hand after he took the supplies. "May the Thanyne be kind." And then the young man was parted. Osato slid across the floor, his sword tapping as it always did against his thigh. He threw the door open and allowed the sun to fall across his face. It truly was a pleasent day and the young man felt like it would be a very welcoming day for a little adventuring.

"Sakura," Osato said with a smirk. "Today is going to be well with us. I do have a quick suggestion though," The young man nodded towards the mountains, supposing it was the path towards the Tengu. If anything it was a beginning of the task ahead, a little distance along the easy path and they could take a side road or the forest. Might as well start as easily as they could. Osato began to walk the way he nodded. "I doubt that even the Tengu are stupid enough to not watch the roads, especially towards their camp. I'm not one to get caught with my pants down, so when we do find some forward scouts, watch, whatever... we should get rid of them quietly. We might have size and strength, but they have numbers, and that gives them the advantage. We need to even the numbers while destroying their advantage."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12