The voyage across the sea to Raiaera was not kind. McKinley had hoped that the water would be tame but the waves had thrashed and almost capsized the cargo boat she was aboard. The thunder cracked loudly, lightning lit up the sky and the Gods wept of Kinley’s betrayal. She had left her home, her companion- direwolf Nymeria and her sweet love, Joshua.

It had all become too much for the redhead, the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Like a lead ball in her belly it weighed heavily on her dragging her deeper into this darkness. On the last full moon McKinley had stood in its silver glow, bathing her milky complexion and prayed to the Goddess for guidance. The silence was deafening to the prized violinist as she sunk to knees, her pleas-sobs filled the silent night.

The next day she told Nymeria to go find Josh and stay with him for a bit. A short, brief note was placed on her kitchen table for her beloved in case he stopped by. She now stood on the deck of the ship, her red locks billowed in the wind like a pirate flag. The mist licked at her cheeks as she inhaled deeply, the salty air filled her lungs. She had no plan, no place to go but anywhere was better then sitting and waiting for an answer on what was going on with her.

~~~~~~~~~

She was shaken awake by a crew man, “we are at port miss,” McKinley wiped the sleep from her bright crystal blue orbs. “I-I must have fallen asleep last night after the storm passed,” she murmured softly sitting up. “Aye you did, miss.” The crew man bowed his head quickly before walking up the stairs to the deck of the ship.

Reaching down McKinley’s bandaged hands wrapped themselves around her small knapsack and viola case she had brought with her. Quickly she raced up the stairs to the deck where she was greeted by some of the crew man, others hustled to get the trading goods to the marketplace.

“Excuse me,” she spoke softly to what she assumed was the first mate that stood barking orders. “Can you by chance tell me where the most peaceful place is here?”

The man gave her a puzzle look, “I believe that to be the meadows on the outskirts of town lass.”

“Thanks,” she mumbled softly taking off towards the direction he had pointed. Her little legs carried her through the sea of bodies in the marketplace. The bustle of the town made her uneasy by the time she was towards the outskirts of the trading post she was practically running. Her lungs burned as she pushed her little legs to carry her faster.

When she came to the end of the town she was huffing and puffing, she folded over trying to catch her breath. McKinley straightened herself up and looked around, the large meadow stretched as far as the eye could see. She smiled softly at the isolation and walked a bit further.

Finally satisfied with were she was she sat down her things and unlocked her instrument case. A beautiful cherry wood viola sat nestled in it along with a bow and some rosin. She smiled before picking the wooden instrument up. Her shoulder and chin cradled it as she tested the stickiness of her bow across the strings. It gave a loud squeal, she adjusted a cord by tightening it and loosening another.

Quickly her hands were at work flowing fluidly up and down the neck of the viola, low and highs blended together. The melody she played was sorrowful and sombersome, her head bobbing with the flow of the cords, her eyes closed, a serene look on her angelic features as she played with all the emotion she could muster.