My nose scrunched up in confusion as the conversation shifted from something I knew many things about to, well, things I knew nothing about. I shoved the tiny creature back into my bag. Nevin was making a big deal out of nothing. As I watched him start to prod the edge of the messed up part of the leg, one hand slowly following the bandages. I continued the previous conversation. “Lots people have things on their souls. Some leeches not bad just paras-paras…” I shook my head, giving up on trying to say it in Tradespeak. <”Parasitic but harmless.”>

I switched back to Tradespeak, I very much doubted the elf man's ability to understand Akashiman. “Eteri see people with ones that are harmless on them. Is like…” I pointed to my eyelashes. “Is like everyone has tiny bugs in eye hairs.”

Nevin blinked slowly and I saw him stand up right, one hand lifting up so his fingers could brush his eyelashes, obviously thinking about what I had said. Raevin was frowning a little but seemed to understand. I grinned as I approached the two men. I stood behind Nevin and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, hugging him from behind as I pressed my lips to the underside of his jaw. He turned his face toward me to press his own against my cheek. “Eteri as much as I love that I can’t have you bump me right now.” Despite his words, I could feel him lean into my embrace, and one hand came up to hold my arms over his chest. I nuzzled my head into his hair. I loved everything about the man. I gave him one final kiss on the top of his forehead before looking up at Raevin who was eyeing the two of us with… now what was that look in his eyes? Caution? Concern?

Did he want a hug too?

“Hug too?” I asked, Raevin held up his hands and shook his head to deny, but it was too little too late. I shifted behind the man and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. I pressed my head on top of his. “Better?” Behind me, I could hear Nevin cough, then laugh.

Raevin scowled a little, uneasy at first but then it seemed to settle. He blinked, winces over his face as the pain passed over his face, then he grunted and seemed to ease into it. His eyes closed slightly and there was the smallest hint of the smile - when suddenly the door opened.

Stare was there, a tray of tea perched on her waist, her eyes large and staring with disbelief at Raevin.

“Uh … well I came in at the wrong time.”

The elf’s eyes snapped open and he gasped. “Dammit, ow, ow,” he said as he tried to shift out of my hold. “Ow - crow stop looking at me like that.”

“Stare!” I let go of Raevin and dusted off my hands. “Why is wrong time? What tea? Need help?” Last I saw her she was barely able to hold her own weight up, let alone the weight of a teetering tray of tea and cups. It took two quick, broad steps to reach her. I nearly toppled her over. Nearly I steadied myself and held out my hands so I could take the tray from her. “Is ok?”

She shook her head to me, blinking as she did, almost blushing before she righted herself and moved to the side to take the tray to a table. “I am fine, it's 'are you okay’. I have just never seen anyone … hug the elf.”

“Shut up, crow,” Raevin muttered, slumping back on the pillows.

I was confused, to me hugs were fairly normal. I enjoyed the closeness and the warmth. “No?” I tuned back to look at Raevin, whom was doing his best to concentrate on anyone but the bird and the cat. “Why? Is easy.”

“Hugs are not common in our community,” Raevin replied. “I'm a warrior, as well, cat. Hugs are not in my line of work.”

“You not complain. You enjoy?” I asked him curiously. Nevin, having moved to the corner, was currently chuckling madly to himself, one hand clamped over his mouth. He cleared his throat when I said this, and was still grinning widely.

“I'm certain he does, dear. But he's not used to it is all. Just like I wasn't when we met. Crimson, the first time Stare hugged me, I froze up.”

“Nevin,” came the groan of the kenku, coupled with the gentle sound of flowing liquid as she poured tea. The redhead shot her a teasing smile.

Raevin settled back into his pillows and pulled a blanket over his missing leg. He rested his head back as he smiled with amusement at Stare's back. His eyes flickered over to Eteri before he mouthed, “I dare you to try.”

To try...and hug Stare? My ears straightened as my tail flicked feverishly from side to side. Yes. Yes this was a very, very good idea indeed. I had been wanting to hug Stare all day. She looked like she could really use one. Both Nevin and Raevin now were trying to hold in stifled laughter as I turned on my heel and headed toward Stare.

One single step...quiet now...another… I rose my arms high above my head and extended them, fingers twitching in anticipation. I could almost feel those strange feathers against my skin. Just another step… I heard an inhaled breath.

My arms wrapped around a warm body and the room suddenly grew very silent The air seemed to shimmer As my face was pressed into material. Hmm… My hands squeezed tightly. This did not feel like feathers. I ran my hands up and down the body.

Hmm.

Fingers danced over the material. No… no this was definitely not feathers.

I… I don’t think I was hugging Stare.