Hm, something is odd, at least it isn’t me.

The inquisitive elf admired the stove which was carved into the oaken walls of the tree itself. She surmised that the oven must be lined with stone or steel. Possibly enchanted? It would be far more impressive if it were non-magical as the sheer ingenuity of coming up with the stove’s design had her brain’s full attention. The smoke would need to be dispersed through a chimney but if the chimney was under the branches it would stain the leaves or set them ablaze. It must’ve been an enchantment... or else she had just not noticed a chimney above the tree line. Was it possible that it could funneled the smoke underground? Lilly wiggled a bit awkwardly as she tried to peer over the various elves to get a better look at the stove.

Her examination of the cooking apparatus was ceased when Elthas spoke of the Alerian to his mother. Initially the mother elf worried Lilly with an ominous comment but she followed up with a gentle greeting. The mother elf asked for Lilly’s introduction and distracted by her thoughts the dark elf started, “Lilth-,” she shut her lips before exposing the slimmest bit of her tongue and continuing, “ahem, excuse me. I’m Lillian Svalesin, but you may call me Lilly. Nice to meet you.”

The dark elf’s rounded face housed her sparkling blue eyes as a strand of thin white hair grazed past her cheek, falling off her left ear. She transferred her right hand to grab ahold of her narrow left elbow, squirming her face a bit as she hoped her impression was not ruined by nearly speaking the wrong name.

Elysia seemed a bit confused but followed equally, “what great manners dear. I am Elysia, thank you for joining us.” The pale elf mother went back to put a few last minute details on the lunch she had prepared. One or two dishes missing salt or a dash of pepper.

Elthas gestured for her to sit and she fell into the moment as she fell into the chair. It was unusual for her, to be eating a meal at a table with a ‘family.’ For the past few years she spent most of her meals in the presence of Faellint in a hovel or among mages around a campfire. Sitting at a real table with a group of people was a refreshing change of scenery for the young dark elf.

When Elthas’ brother raised questions of a package, it piqued Lilly’s interest. This ‘parcel’ sounded important. As she was about to inquire about it the tree elf stared at her and began to sing.

Old elves really did annoy Lilly. Most of the elves within The Vestige were interesting enough. They practiced magic, they were experts at it. These elves were simple elves with simple dreams. Living in these woods, never questioning what else was out in the world. The caricature she was forming in her head of this family was a culmination of her upbringing and the injustice she faced trying to prove herself to the traditional old elves from The Vestige.

Regardless, she sat listening to the elf’s song. He did have a nice voice but she was fully perplexed as he received praise from his brother. Did he expect Lilly to join in? She couldn’t sing. She definitely was not going to sing inside of a tree. She had standards.

Lilly looked back at Elthas and during the climax of his song she loudly exclaimed, “I can’t sing.” Her outburst brought bewildered looks from the various members of clan Belthasar. As soon as she received the disapproving looks the inventor realized her error. He was not looking for a sing along, he was trying to show his talent. His gift.

Before she could apologize lunch arrived at their table. Steaming piles of sliced turnips, crusted venison, and baked fruits filled the oak home with scents of paprika and sweetness. As the members of the house began to help themselves to the bountiful meal Lilly waited until most had filled their plates. She then grabbed utensils and topped off her own plate with a modest serving of every dish, careful not to overeat. The Alerian was very appreciative of their generosity but she was not going to abuse it. That would be unbecoming of a proper sel darthirii.

As the group chewed and munched through the meal before them Lilly thought back on the postman referenced earlier. Her mouth was filled with the texture of savory venison but her thoughts were filled with the possibilities of what this parcel could’ve been. A normal person would have let the passing comment go. Not Lilthis. She was absolutely determined to unravel its importance.

She took one last bite and as soon as the seared fruit passed into her esophagus she formed the words she had contemplated for what felt like hours, “what parcel did you receive? If you don’t mind my asking.” The curious elf smiled and tilted her head, hoping that her charm may squeeze the truth out of the forested elf.