Three pairs of feet descended upon the pavement. As the streets wound the homes became more rundown, paving more cracked, and smells more foul. The usual stroll from a high class neighborhood into a slum. Lilly pulled part of her cloak up around her nose and mouth, attempting to cease some of the rancid odors emanating from the forsaken ones who lived in this anguish. Lightening the mood was the gnome’s pitter-pattering footsteps as he attempted to keep pace with the two taller beings.

“Our training dojo is just around this bend,” Cornelius offered, much to the relief of his tiny companion.

Once the trio turned the corner they found themselves in an empty lot, surrounded by vacated buildings. The lot was carpeted with dirt and dust, the occasional sprinkling of broken glass, and a few wooden posts with crudely put together sacks atop them. The dark elf had prepared for something far more impressive than whatever this was.

Sprinting ahead the Magi got around fifty paces out before twirling on his heel and declaring, “my fair elven lady, marvel at our exquisite studio of mettle!” Pretending to cast a spell the grand magus threw shards of glass into the air while shouting, “magic tragic, spellos tell us,” pieces of glass now returned to the earth as Cornelius’ arms flailed about.

Snappy performed his best imitation of a fainting child. Lilly braced herself for the impending spell. The magician was full of himself, grinning wide he yelled, “prepare yourself for a demonstration beyond comprehension!”

“FOREVER TORRENT OF THE ENDLESS CLOUD!”, it seemed as if the mage believed the louder you spoke, the more magical you became. As his command ended a small dark cloud appeared over the tinkering elf’s head. Several rain drops fell from the cloud. Lilthis was somewhat wet and then the cloud dissipated. Standing there, dripping wet, the young woman turned her attention to the magi and erupted, “what was that!? That is one of your great spells? You just got me soaking wet!”

Two dark skinned hands clasp tightly to wet fabric and twisted as Lillian attempted to squeeze out the unwelcome moisture. Her attacker narrowed his gaze and issued a stern warning, “my dear, that is but a taste of my power! Soon you will be fortunate enough to see,” with a wisp of his cape and a twirl of his arm the man spun around before saluting to the younger elf, “my full power.”

Cornelius winked. Lilly grimaced.