“So what … happened? If you don’t mind me asking? He seemed livid.”

“He is livid,” she whispered, gazing into her mug of murky, brown lager. “Or at least frustrated with me.”

Zulon perceptively observed her. “And that … frustrates you.”

They were seated in a small mess room, that made up the social area for the guards within Vitruvion's apartments. Other guards of hosts who had less fine quarters came there also, as it was also connected to the upper kitchens. Warm food was bountiful and a fine choice of alcohol. Despite this, Stare had rarely found her way here, for she had preferred to spend more time out of the Hollow or within her own room. Yet, the room that had been described as 'hers’ had once been Ventrua's when she was more involved with Vitruvion's work, and considering the circumstances Stare did not think it appropriate to set one claw within the missing woman's halls. Ventrua, for all her faults, was still someone who had a good vein in her heart and was honest.

Stare narrowed her eyes at the drink in her hands as Zulon spoke. His words were a statement and not a question.

“Zulon …” she sighed.

Hands raised in acceptance he sat forwards towards her in the armchair opposite her, “I am saying nothing more, Miss. Although, I will say I am happy you are better, that you seemed to have reached an agreement with Sir Elssmith.”

But she could see him watching her, the same curiosity dancing in his eyes that had been since they had turned the corner to see him standing in close proximity. The same spark of inquisitive genius that had made him the perfect acting replacement for Raevin. It seemed that after he arranged for Stare and Vitruvion's belongings to be brought to the Hollow that he had lurked within reach of the small mess, just in case she should arrive.

“We had a minor disagreement.”

“Indeed,” he inclined his head slowly, but there was a smile at the corner of his lips.

She kept staring into her lager, though due to her eyes being at angles to the normal expected positions of a humanoid she spied him doing so. She let the seconds pass, even lifting up the glass in her hands to drink back, yet still he smiled. Time passed uneasily, painfully almost and it took a lot of her incorrigible willpower to not turn around at the first few moments.

Eventually, however, she knew she had to reply. Fully turning her head in his direction she paused to first check if there were many others nearby. As it was still the glory of the morning their numbers were few, and thus she found herself and Zulon far enough away from any prying ears. Not that the truth of what she was about to confess would remain in secret for very long.

“Fine. It does frustrate me that he is angry with me. It does make me feel lesser about myself. The reason why he was ecstatic was because I've given in, and told him I'd willing stay with him for the foreseeable future. Which he has already stated will be as long as I live.”

Zulon’s reaction was to blink. To stare in shock as the curiosity melted away from his face as he took in what she was saying. His lips parted as he sucked in his breath, sat up slowly, pulling his hands back from his knees.

“But you're … wait but did not you find out you were …”

“Immortal, yes,” she said stiffly, looking away, “so that means all the lives I have.”

Zulon let out a quiet whistle. “Well. If you do not mind me saying so Miss Stare, that explains his … behaviour.”

He spoke of Vitruvion carrying her as he had, parading her in front of the guards like she was some lover he was taking to bed. And he had held her close upon the sofa. Stare knew she would have to expect more of the closeness, despite it not getting closer than simple canoodling. Still, Vitruvion had already made such displays public, and Stare knew it would only be so long before they would be seen by all beyond the depths of the Hollow, out there in Beinost. Word would reach Mer’s ears and all hope in the elf of ever becoming Vitruvion's lover would fall to nought.

The kenku closed her eyes softly, and took in a long breath. “I do not mind, Zulon. The rumours had already started.”

“You've added fire to the flame, Miss.”