“And this …”

She opened the door, revealing my small new office.

It was a tinier space than my own in Ettermire, and far more regular than that in Akashima, which had been with as many nooks and crannies as a person had limbs. This was an even square, with a single multi-paned window set into a wall and heavy curtains draping around it. A lonely desk was pushed up to one side, with a heavy chair slid in behind it. The wall opposite them was dominated by shelves, some of which already had occupants in the place of a dying plant and two old cob-webbed books. The whole space was large enough to house perhaps two more chairs comfortably and that was all. It was just slightly smaller than my delightful cell within Morningstar's home. Overall it was made of a cherry wood, with crimson and mulberry coloured upholstery. It was clean, and ready for my occupancy, as if they had expected me from a week ago.

Twisting to her I nodded, “thank you, Madam Hera.”

“Oh Hera please. It will be Char also, and the students will call you professor …”

“Rivers had been a name I have gone by in the past,” I advised, “De’Erebus is foreign to many. Charles is actually not even my original name.”

“Aside from Vasil you should not find too many racists here,” the elf sighed. “But it what name you desire to be known by that matters.”

“Either,” I said as I took a final step into the room and looked around it. My eyes moved from the chair, the window to the plant and I slowly placed down my bag. “If you do not mind my asking, Madam … Hera. You mentioned senior students. How many do you have?”

“Ah,” she nodded, and stepped in behind me. “Well. I am the only full time prehistory professor. All the others also teach history, or archeology. I currently am trying to run the course for the undergraduates, as well as support six full time senior students with their research and projects. It is with those that I can see you being invaluable.”

“Certainly, I will do what I can,” I nodded, setting my satchel down on the ground. “And teaching?”

“There are many students who say that they are struggling with the ideas of the events of the Great Calamity, and the worship of the Thayne thereafter. A lot of the focus from them is on the Raiaeran Pantheon so …”

I nodded, “naturally. They are their gods.”

“With your current research on the Thayne, it might be worthwhile setting up … a lecture a week, for instance, on that subject.”

Agreeing with her I smiled and cupped my hands before me. “The only issue will be if - if my brother-”

“If you prepare your lectures a week beforehand, and aim to have their notes to me by the time of the previous week, then that will cover any emergencies.”

I let out a soft sigh. “Thank you, Hera.”

She looped back a strand of her fine silver hair, and blinked at me with her golden eyes. “Your situation is exceedingly unique, Charles.”

Part of me wanted to ask, wanted to know what she thought went on during those days. But I could not ask, without causing suspicion. Simply, I smiled in gratitude, and clasped my hands before me.

“My brother and I have a great amount of differences, and in an ideal world-”

She shook her head, raising a hand, “say no more. Raiaera may seem idyllic to many, but it is still a country with its flaws. There are many still in this city who are not aware of who your brother is, and the power he wields, and so you may find yourself going through a whole day with no one connecting you to him. For your absences we will simply say you have other work, which is true in itself.”

It was … sort of. It suggested what she thought I did - worked for Morningstar part time by my own free will. Connected to the truth as it was it still made me grind my teeth in frustration, and need to force myself to hold a steady composure.

“I thank you, Hera,” I said, “for all your assistance. I hope to make a successful new start here.”