Althanian

EXP: 8,146, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 854
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 854

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    “Surprise, I am back,” I drawled sarcastically.

There was a burst of bright laughter. Hemera fabulously came to life at my elbow, slipping her arm in with mine. As I glanced around I saw we were in his small round table room, and those who had originally been part of his advisory court, plus another human now, and without Geras were here. It seemed I had suddenly been promoted to Morningstar's inner sanctum.

“Everyone sit, including you,” Morningstar growled as he strode.

I found I was forced along. It also seemed that he did not want to go through my extensive conversations of wanting to be seated again at his table of close allies, for he looked at Hemera apologetically before physically grabbing my upper arm. Pulling me hard he urged me to the seat beside his throne, then shoved me back into it. I rolled my eyes, but stayed where I was - then was somewhat forced to stay as he shoved the end of the chain into the wood of the chair. Like a knife through butter it merged into the wood, and I was stuck there.

“I agreed to be part of your 'destroy Morté’ community, not your inner party,” I frowned at him, though I relaxed back.

He entirely ignored me as he took his place. And the others took their seats too - Vitus, Marlina and the human to one side and Hemera and Nyx to that which I was on. Morningstar looked at all of us, giving a general sweep of his eyes before he began.

“Firstly, there is a fact to share that I have been made privy to.”

“Sir, are you … sure about him?” Vitus frowned, gesturing at me, “this is, after all, your council. Your advisory court during the trade agreements was, admittedly, connected to this rogue, but this … you do not trust him.”

“Yes, hence the very reason he is bound,” Morningstar growled, “I trust his silence, and that he hates Morté more than myself. I trust he will remain true to my deal with him, and his use to me, but I do not trust him in my court, or to use his powers against me. This is my decision to have him here, not his, not anyone's. Any more objections?”

“Yes,” I threw my glare at him. “Me.”

“Your opinion does not matter in this subject, Char,” he threw a hand at me.

“Of course not,” I slumped to the side, towards where my hands were bound, and crossed one leg over the other knee. My brows raised and I prepared to listen to him.

“Formal introductions,” Morningstar said, and gestured elegantly at the human I had not met. “Grimsaine, also known as Sir Fellden of Corone, meet Charon De’Erebus, also known as Charles Rivers, my … elder brother. Primordial of Destruction.”

“That is the first time I have ever heard you make mention of the fact,” I said, surprised, and looked at the human. “Pleasure, I'm sure Sir Fellden. He forgets to mention I also have empathic qualities, for understanding what should be destroyed.”

“I … greetings, Mr De’Erebus,” he replied, in a tone that was not bitter or rough. My brow rose slightly as she gave me a curt nod, and suddenly I was aware I had a sympathiser, if not, a friend. He gave me a small smile.

“Firstly, there is information you should all be aware of.” Morningstar spoke, defiantly. Looking over, we saw him sit up straight and regard us with sincerity. I raised my brow at him but remained silent, knowing I could not get out of this, however much I asked.

“My … bride, Selena, knows of the circumstances. As far as the court knowledge is concerned, we are married. As far as this council goes, we are not. There will be no formal ceremony, no requirements for consummation. She has agreed to keep up all appearance of a marriage.”

There was no reply, just small nods.

“For the other circumstance surrounding her,” he set his hands, clasped, on the table before him. He looked to me. “Charon, perhaps you should say.”

Eyes fell on me. I pursed my lips as I stared back at him, my chest rising and falling uncomfortably. He held my gaze steady as I did not speak, and let silence extend in the room. In all honesty I was just pissed off at him bringing me into this little club of his

“Char …?” Nyx asked, confused. “What is going on?”

Morningstar paused a little, letting there be time for me to speak. When I made no move to look away he began to open his mouth.

“She-”

“It turns out Selena is, after all, my biological daughter,” I said quietly.

There were two distinctive gasps - one high and ecstatic, the other lower and shocked. My two sisters stared at me as I looked up at them from the table, the mixture of emotions upon my face showing the anxiety, concern, confusion and hope. Hemera, who was closest to me, leant over and placed a hand on my arm. She had to lean rather far as my hands were bound some distance away.

“I have a niece,” she said with a beam.

“We have a niece,” Nyx reminded her, and she smiled at me. “Congratulations, brother. Or … commiserations. It's a shock, I know. I am here to talk if you wish.”

“Thank you,” I said, sincerely, to both of them.

“With this in mind,” Morningstar continued, “Vitus, your concerns over my brother can be satiated a little, as he has a firmer reason to be here now.” He smiled elegantly, and I tightened my jaw, glaring at him once more.

My good mood was killed in a matter of seconds.

“Just to confirm,” he said carefully. “Charon
    is staying, whether anyone likes it or not. Yes, it will be the first time I have ever had an individual who has not sworn loyalty to me on my small council, but neither have I had an individual so useful to me.”

My brows were high with surprise. It was a compliment and a fact I did not care for. Therefore I felt a great many things about it. I began to murmur. “Morningstar …”

“Back to business,” he leant forwards again. “It has come to light that Morté does not know about the impending apocalypse.”

The reaction I had been expecting came. Various gasps came, as well as wide eyes. I watched their reactions, assessing them carefully, and was not surprised to find most of them were shocked. Nyx was more quietly considering than anything and her eyes came to rest on me.

“Of course, there we have the advantage, as I began my own research into the prophecies some time ago, and the Morai, the three women of fate, happen to be my siblings with whom I had an understanding with, and was watching with care. Now, when they disappeared I had happened upon Charon and was keeping him, first as simply an interest, but now … we will get to him. Firstly,” he eyed the three advisors, the two elves and the human, then our two sisters, and deliberately left out me, “all of you will not speak of the apocalypse or of what research is being done, without careful consideration. I placed into the deal a note of information exchange specifically about impending doom, and so there is no reason to tell Morté."

There was no answer. All of them simply blinked back, taking his word as command, and not needing to wait for him to ask them to do so.

After a moment of silence he grunted, and waved a hand at me. “Charon,” he said.

I paused, and raised my brow. “What?”

“Tell them what you have discovered. What you have researched about the apocalypse, and the Calamity.”

“How - how much?” I asked, with a small smile, “there's a lot of it, if you want me to go into the various theories, the histories, the social impacts, the scientific outcomes, the-”

“Just the basics,” Morningstar interrupted, sharply. “What you have explained to me.”

My eyes danced over him, studying his resolute and proud expression, before I pulled in my breath. I leant back, turning to the crowd before me and starting as I would a lecture.

“Five millennia ago, the Great Calamity claimed much of our world. It destroyed much of what we know, most specifically the Old Gods, whom we were created to serve.”

“So the stories go,” Morningstar commented.

I shook my head at him. “No, Morn. So they state. I was one of the first to come out of Khaos, alongside Hypnos and Eros. We were given very direct instructions from Erebus himself.”

Morningstar scowled, looked away from me and flourished his hand. I sighed, and continued. “The first civilisations blossomed, inclusive of the Neanderthals, the Svek-kal, the Marshpeople - but when the Calamity came they all were wiped from existence, alongside their gods who loved them dearly.” I paused, threading my fingers together. “Few remember it, but I have recently discovered that there were prophecies before it. The Svek-kal, a tribe from what is now northern Raiaera have friezes showing them dreaming of the end of the world, being guided on how to avoid it, and then surviving it. I found they went north, and am still trying to find their descendants.” I paused, and looked at Morningstar. “I need time for a trip to Salvar soon by the way. And some for the Raiaera forest. And another one south, into Tular.”

“Char,” he snapped.

“Anyway,” I continued to my captive audience. “From their findings, and my own readings, I found they were warned of two things - fire from the sky and water from below. For those of us who remember the Great Calamity …”

“Ash,” Hemera blinked. “Lots of it. Like black rain.”

“Falling flames, and rocks,” Nyx nodded. “It destroyed buildings with one pebble-sized hailstone, that was not a hailstone.”

“Exactly,” I grunted, “and lots of violence, war because of it, anger. Possibly you hid, but truly no one had any idea what was going on because the Old Gods we served were gone …”

I breathed out and aimed the simple action of running a hand through my hair automatically in stress. I had forgotten the state I was in though, and ended up pulling on the chain. There was a fair bell sound that filled the air and I seethed as the power within my body began to protest loudly. Growling, I caused awkwardness to fill the room as I yanked hard on the chain, causing the wood to scream and begin to splinter as I forced more give.

“Charon …” Morningstar warned.

“Oh fuck off,” I scowled. “I just want more give. It's-” I broke off and gave up, adjusting my seat to deal with what I had. “Anyway. The Old Gods went, leaving the Thayne to rise up, and after them other pantheons and so on. But it seemed that people forgot about the fact that there were some cultures that had forewarning of the Calamity and acted on it. They knew what was coming and when, they knew what to do when it did. They, supposedly, survived, even as it reached through some gaps of the hells and touched Hadia.”

I nodded my head at Morningstar, “with his insistence, I have been following up on the old and the new. The new prophecies seem to be closely identical to the old, suggesting that the same thing will happen. So far I know is that a massive meteor, or comet will pass overhead, and either could fall or pass us by. What is definite to happen, however, is the world's largest super eruption that has been seen in years. 'Nyotamkia.’”

“Meaning …” Morningstar impatiently said.

“Volcano,” I replied. “And two days I figured out where it will erupt.”

His lips parted. He sat up immediately, staring. “Where?”

“Morningstar, before you go on, I need to make these journeys. They could be vital in the survival of many people.”

“Where, Char?”

I twisted away from him and focused in the centre of the table, where all waited on me with baited breath.

“Lornius,” I quietly said.
    Last edited by Philomel; 08-03-2018 at 12:09 AM.