It was blessedly quiet, here. I had found myself a spot near the edge of town, and was sitting outside of the township itself. I sat on the ground, feeling pebbles and clods of first jutting up into my thighs as I twirled a small stick between my fingers. My head tilted back and thumped against the tree I was sitting in front of, bark pressing against my scalp through my hair as I let my eyes drift closed.

Everything around me was so strange. Familiar, but not quite right. Flavors were ever so subtly off, smells were tangy in a way that I was hard-pressed to accurately describe. Colors thankfully weren't that different - if they had been, I might just have ended up losing my mind in the early days. Hells, even the people were different - races I was used to seeing about were entirely gone, instead replaced with ones that I could dredge up only the faintest of memories of.

Whoever I had been before… Waking up, had not been the most widely traveled of folks. That made sense, considering what I had learned about my previous self's attitude - why bother traveling when you could bully the people immediately around you into giving you everything you could want? Not for the first time, I felt a brief stab of righteous vindication that that person was dead and gone, and I moved in his stead.

Leaves rustled above my head, and I allowed my eyes to slide open. Nothing had come close enough for me to feel its presence, but I wasn't going to just completely let my guard down. My range was rather small, and I didn't want to be caught unaware by something dropping down on me from outside of where I could detect it. But, no, all that happened was a gust of wind blew past me, making my hair dance in time with the branches above.

The scent on the air was familiar/unfamiliar. Like a spice I could just barely not remember, a word on the tip of my tongue that begged to be spoken, but wouldn't slip my lips. I let out a huff of frustration and ran the fingers of my empty hand through my hair. I would be immensely glad once my mind settled and the memories solidified.

Curiosityhungerworry. A confusing jumbled mess washed over me and my eyes flicked around. That mess was too indistinct to be a human, too foreign to be anything recognizable. An animal nearby then?