The first indication I had that something wasn't right - beyond just the unfamiliarity I was struggling to overcome - was the sound of feet beating rapidly against the ground, wood snapping and cracking beneath a frantic tread. My head snapped up and swiveled in the direction of the sounds, to see a shadowed figure bursting out of the treeline.

It was something felinoid, I think. It had the lean look of a predator, but it was not something I recognized, and there was no accompanying flash of memory to clear it up. The four-legged shadow paused, prowling just at the edge of the light, circling around. I heard/felt a low rumble that vibrated my bones and set my teeth on edge.

Without hesitation I rolled to my feet and snatched up my unstrung bow, hefting the comforting weight in my hands. I didn't have time to string the thing, so if this unknown creature decided to attack I'd just have to make do with the staff.

HUNGERPAINHUNGER My head swam as the shadow darted inwards, diving into the light. The creature had come into my range, and the echo of its emotions was clear enough for me to actually understand despite the inhuman nature of what it felt. Of course, I did really have time to process that, because with one bound the predator had launched itself at me.

I caught the striking claws on my staff, falling backwards as the weight of the felinoid bore me to the ground. Sharpened hooks scrabbled at wood, trying to get at me, but I managed to keep the cat-thing from actually getting me. The muscles in my arms strained before I managed to throw the thing off to one side. A piercing shriek rent the night air, making my ears ring, and my eyes snapped to where I had flung the creature as I got to my feet.

PAINANGERHUNGERPAINFURY

By a stroke of luck, I had managed to throw the beast into the campfire. It was already on its feet, and my fire had been crushed beneath its weight. But now in the lull as the felinoid recovered from the scorching heat, I was able to get a good look at it in the dying light of the embers. It was emaciated, its fur hanging loosely about it as it snarled at me. With that snarl the creature charged at me, claws tearing up my firepit as it moved.