Immediately I frowned, wondering, or rather knowing, something was amiss. Her whole body language told of it - her strained smile, the tension in her form. My lips formed a thin line as I watched her leave the room. I tried to thing of what had upset her, and could only think of Selena's comments on who I slept with. Slightly I frowned as I looked to my biological daughter.

“Go after her and apologise.”

Selena gawped. “Apologise? For what, telling the truth? She's-”

“Selena, please,” I sighed. “I'm not telling you what to do, but this is my home and she is my friend.”

“Friend?” she asked me, seriously sarcastically.

I nodded once, glaring. “Friend, yes. Not go apologise.”

For a moment more she groaned before getting to her feet. She slumped out of the room and stood outside the bathroom.

“Sorry,” she grumbled.

Koreena has splashed some cool water on her face after rinsing the small shards of ceramic glass off her hands. She sighed softly when she heard the girl’s voice. Slowly she turned to face her. “I know what most think of succubi, whores, gutter rats. I don’t mind when it come from naive people, but don’t place me in a category with the rest of your father’s lovers. Don’t pretend to know me because I won’t with you.” Her tone was soft and her face emotionless.

Selena shrugged. “I don't think that,” she said. “All I said was-” she broke off. “Look sorry.” And she oddly curtseyed before heading into the living room. There she slumped on the sofa before me. I had my eyebrows raised, having heard the entire thing. I remained silent until Kora could join us again.

It took her a moment to come from the bathroom, she had her arms crossed as she walked and leaned against the door frame. She offered me a strained smile before averting her gaze. “I would love to take you up on your offer of showing me the city if you aren’t busy tomorrow.”

For a moment I observed her before I nodded. “I would be honoured to, Kora,” I told her. And I offered her a smile. “For now you are welcome to rest here. I need to sleep, and then meet one of my students later.”

Koreena nodded, “thank you, I would like to rest as well. The trip was lovely but long.”

I nodded, looking at Selena. “Do you have plans today?”

My daughter pursed her lips before looking into her coffee. “I'll be out. I'm going to go back to the court.”

I blinked slightly, but nodded. If she wanted to head to my brother's court, that was her decision. After all she was supposed to be engaged to him. Or married already.

“Okay,” I said quietly, then I drained the rest of my coffee. “Right. Are we better then?” I looked from one woman to the other.

Koreena finally looked at me, her melodic laughter filling the room as she shook her head. After her laughter died out, “I have said my peace, Professor.”

I looked to my daughter and she stared at me before grunting. “Yes. Sorry.”