Pain exploded through my body as I doubled over, letting out a groan. There was so much power in that punch, made from many times more strength than the average man. The words that Morningstar whispered before he punched echoed around my head, “this needs to be, brother, for your well-being and hers.” It was not an apology, but an excuse. As he let me go I tumbled to the floor, hissing out a mutter.

“Fucking bastard.”

Koreena screamed as she ran towards me, her eyes flashed bright blue the colors of the sea. She called the magic from her blood lines as she looked to the grass, plants, anything that contained water. The water came to her as she thrusted with all her might aiming at Morningstar. “No!” Tears spilled down her tea colored cheeks.

The wave came fast and fluid, rushing at him with a roar of impatience. Morningstar barely looked at it, however, and raised his hand. Frozen, the water halted, inches from him, and his eyes looked over the stream hovering in the air between them, eyes focused on Koreena. Slowly, he breathed.

“You don't attack me in my own court, dear,” he said in a voice full of spite. “You don't use your power without my permission, unless you want repercussions and you do not come here, unless invited.” He raised his hand and the water fell to the earth, where it sloshed at our feet and my body. My body curled around my gut, still shaking with the pain.

“Got it?” he hissed at her, eyes full of darkness.

The young demi- succubus stood her ground, her chest rose and fell as she straightened out her shoulders. She stood in front of me like she was shielding me. “My assessment was right about you. You are a perfectionist and that will be your downfall.” She grinned wickedly at him. “I do not fear you, Lord Morningstar. I pity you for instead of having the love and loyalty of your family you use power and fear to try and control them.”

His eyes glittered with the light of a thousand suns. “There you are wrong, Koreena, daughter of the Thayneslayer and Leila, there you are wrong.” He pushed his face into hers. “Because I will never have a downfall. Instead, that fate belongs to people like you who think themselves too wonderful and clever to see their own faults. You thought you were playing me, when I was playing you.” Gently he nudged me with the heel of his foot, as I watched them with dull eyes. “Get up Charon,” he said, “this lesson is over.”

KC stood her ground, she let his words wash over her body. She shook her head, a small smile on her lips. “I am no more wonderful and clever then you are a narcissist and a sociopath. I have many faults, many in fact but I was not naive enough to think I was playing you. I knew it was an orchestra of deceit on both parts.” She turned her back to him and knelt down, her hands timidly touching my cheek.

He let out a light laugh. “Why did you even come here then?” he asked, his voice with an edge of disbelief. He flourished a hand at me. “I mean, he must have told you what I was like. Or what he deems me to be.”

I saw him roughly wave a hand at me as I looked into Kora’s eyes. Gently I smiled, letting her know I was fine.

“Charon, I said get up.”

“I'd prefer to lie here, thanks,” I grunted in a voice thick with agony still.

Koreena frowned at the pain that was laced in my tone. I’m sorry, she mouthed to me before straightening her spine and turning to Morningstar. “I came because even against my better judgement, against the protest of your beloved wife I needed to see. To see if you were the monster, dickhead that you are proclaimed to be. Even the ugliest of monsters have a good side. I came to see if I could see it, oh but yours must be buried deep within.” She glared at the proud court master.

My eyes rolled closed as I sighed, knowing that these speeches from her were only making him angrier. I could literally feel the tension in the room and the fury rolling off his body as he glared at her for a long time. Darkly, he hissed before he gestured. “Nyx, help our dear brother up. We need to talk privately. You,” he pointed to Kora. “Stay here,” he pointed at the still wet floor. “Until I am done.”

My sister grimaced slightly as she bent down. I opened my eyes then to see her give me a graceful smile, then she looked at Kora. “I'll take him,” she said gently, her hands smoothly running over my arms.

The look on KC’s face showed that she knew she had created not more trouble for herself but me. Her hand rested on my cheek for a moment, her dark gaze was no longer hard but soft and filled with regret. She knew she had let her temper get the best of her again. “Don’t punish him for the statements I made against you.” She let her hand slip from my cheek. Her gaze turned back to Morningstar as she stood up then letting Nyx step in.

“As I said, wisdom comes with age,” Morningstar said matter of factly, “and that is something you seem to lack.” He watched as Nyx slid her arms around my waist and levered my arm over her shoulders so I could use her as a support as I stood. My feet were unsteady, and he noticed this with his piercing gaze before he looked back to Kora. “Punishment comes to those who deserve it, by the authorities bidden governing the land to the subjects. You are not my subject, he, however reluctant he is against the idea, is. Therefore … your punishment is dealt to he associated closest with your crime.” He shrugged as he sauntered over and grabbed me by the throat. I gasped lightly, wincing as he smiled pleasantly at Kora.

“See you later,” he winked at her, before his hold around my neck tightened and he began to walk away. With me supported by Nyx I was forced to follow, rolling my eyes slightly as this drama became elaborate and we headed towards the small council chamber.

KC moved after them calling to Morningstar, “wh-what if I pledge my fealty to you? Wouldn’t you like to punish the tongue that tried to mar your name. If I pledge my obedience to you would you then not harm him- punish him for my quick tongue?” Her voice was soft as she took another step after us.

Both him and I looked at her with surprised expressions. Mine was more horrified, and his more intrigued. How could she offer such, I thought, as a small smile flickered on Morningstar's face, seeing what she had, or was this all part of his plan anyway? A low laugh came from the megalomaniacs throat.

“Too late for that this time,” he hissed, his grip tightening around my throat. I gulped in a breath before he cut off the rest of access to my lungs. “But maybe next,” and he grabbed me viciously by the upper arm and finished dragging me into the chamber.

The door slammed behind us. I was shaking as he pulled me over to a chair, then threw me into it. As he let go of my throat I gasped in air, noticing Nyx had let go long before and it was only us in the room.

“What the fuck-” I spluttered, rubbing at my throat, “was that all for?!”

My brother's lips went thin before he stood over me, eyes flickering over my neck and torso. Slowly he bent, fingers glowing golden as he began to heal where he had harmed me.

“She had to learn from the start,” he muttered, “that I am in charge here. No one else.”