“Brother,” came a warm voice.

Looking behind me I saw Nyx enter the room, her long hair flowing out in a curtain. I stood, hands leaning on a table as a map of the world was spread out before me, various markers upon it that Morningstar had only given some descriptions of. Other smaller maps were affixed to the side of the larger one, representing those of the underworlds and partner, smaller realms, in which Morningstar had some form of interest or just knew about. A small black cross now stood over what was Lornius, where my research had revealed the volcano to erupt from. I was still focusing on how precisely an old island of mountains, that had lain dormant for years could cause havoc, but that was all part of my usefulness. I watched as Nyx gave me a cautious look on her face, before she nodded over her head at Morningstar. He was loitering in the doorway, his back to us, and I could only guess at his expression.

“Rahl above,” I said out loud, and leaning back from the table. I shook my head and began to stride over to him. “You're not still letting her think that you're still-”

“Oh get the fuck back,” my brother threw a glare over his shoulder at me, his voice a whisper. “If what it takes her to respect me and my laws is to believe that you are being beaten because of her, then so be it.”

“You've already beaten me for her, Morn,” I scowled, coming closer, my arms folding, “what else can-”

He allowed me to get close enough so I could see her face in the gap. Then he grabbed my face and shoved it, along with me, away. I growled and yelled.

“Morn!”

But he only was grinning back out, before he slammed the door shut. I stood there, nursing my jaw slightly as he leaned against it, lips twisted up in a wicked grin and his ear flat against the wood.

“Charon!” I heard her call, concern laced in her soft tone.

“You're ridiculous,” I muttered, and he shook his head, eyes beaming with excitement and greed for power, gesturing for me to stay silent.

I opened my mouth as he hissed. “I'll take her offer if you don't go with this.”

Rolling my eyes, and finding that my jaw only hurt for a couple more seconds - he had only pushed with the lightest of touches this time - I watched him. Naturally I knew I would tell Kora what had actually happened later, and Morningstar knew it also, but for now he was desperate to play his hand. I also knew that were I to interrupt this idea of a game for him out could lead to consequences for both Kora and I - such as him taking her hurried offer of fealty, as he threatened - and I did not want to see that happen.

I heard the soft clicking of her heels as she approached the door that my brother was blocking. “Charon?” Her voice came again almost pleading for an answer from me.

“Call out again,” he whispered imploringly, his eyes on me. “Go on.”

“Morningstar,” I stared at him straight, but answered in a voice as quiet, “I'm not playing this game. You-”

He rolled his eyes impatiently and clicked his fingers. The ugly, familiar golden manacles that were used to both secure me because of the potential danger I could cause in his court, as one uncontrolled still by him, as well as limit my power when I was here, burst out of the air before me. They spun towards my wrists, but instantly I reacted, yelling out angrily to him as my new found, more effective and instinctual power rose, then burst forth from my palms. It clashed without my direction at the manacles and sent them bursting into a thousand fragments, causing a high amount of metallic noise as well as my own cries of annoyance. The smirk from Morningstar told me that was what he had entirely what had been expecting to happen, and that my reactions were exactly what he had wanted. He might not be able to tether me anymore but he could certainly manipulate the situation. Nyx, who was pouring over the map, completely disregarded us. My expression became dark scowl as I glared at him, but again he held out a hand to keep me silent.

“Please, please stop! I’ll do whatever you ask!” She cried out trying to get past him to me. “I- I’ll seduce your enemies for intel, I will dance for your courts entertainment! Please just stop hurting him.” Her voice sounded thick with tears.

That was my last straw. I headed towards him, my arms loosening, brow becoming low. My jaw tightened as I growled at my brother. “Okay that is it, you've played with her enough, she's not yours she came here by mistake, Morn, and you've punished her enough. Stop being such a dickhead!”

I shouted the last as I came to him, so much so that she would be able to hear it behind the wood. I did not go for the door, that would be much on stupid when he still stood in front of it, but I said it so that Kora would gain at least some form of understanding what was actually going on inside the room.

“Well?” I asked him, staring at him, my eyes dark and his still dancing with the delight of his deceit.

My brother stood there for a moment, before his smirk died and he pushed away from the wall. Grabbing the door handle he pulled open the door and we both saw Kora there, a miserable heap on the floor. Beyond her was Selena, anxious at the edge of a pillar, her eyes wide, watching, clearly having come over during the scene.

“Maybe you should not be so quick to judge,” he snarled at her.

She wiped at the silent tears that streaked her cheeks. She looked at me as if I had almost betrayed her not speaking out sooner to let her know I was okay. She then shifted her gaze to Morningstar as she pushed herself to stand up. “Your court may be stunning but you are filled with deceit and hate. It won’t get you far in this world Lord Morningstar. There will come a day when your siblings grow tired of your tyrant ways and turn their back on you. I pray to the great mother Goddess you change before that happens.”

His brows rose as he looked at me, a sigh on his lips. “I honestly don't know what you see in her, brother. Why potentially ruin what you have with Reg-”

“Come on,” I said to Kora, leaning down to her and offering her hand. I ignored my daughter, and would talk with her later. “Let's find somewhere private to talk.”

“Charon, we haven't finished-”

“I'll be back, when I'm done, Morningstar,” I glared back at him. “Then we talk however long you want.”

His lips pursed, and he narrowed his eyes at me. “Be back soon.” And he twisted sharply to march back over to the table, and the map of all his plans.

Koreena took my hand as I helped her up but as soon as she was steady on her feet she moved away from me some. Her arms wrapped around her curvy waist. I let out a breath, glancing back briefly behind me, then closing the door. Looking back to get I saw the way she hugged herself beyond all, and realised she did not even want me to help.

“Do you want to go back to the town?” I asked in a low voice. “I can arrange that, you don't have to see me again.”