We rode in the early hours of dawn upon a bright white steed. The five leagues of the magically made straight that connected Tor Elythis to the mainland was almost empty at that time of day. For a long time it seemed to just be us, racing that great path, the only sounds the horse's hooves, the calls of gulls above and the waves bashing against the stonework that made this bridge. Only rarely did another horse or carriage dart past, and those moments were fleeting.

Eventually we arrived at my quiet corner of the city, where academics were seen at all hours and whores only trespassed under the guise of noble maidens. Down a back alley we gave back the horse to a trading post, then I took her to the tall houses that marked my accomodation. We climbed the stairs together, friends more than anything now. Lovers, yes, but only in the physical sense and it felt good, this understanding between one of the oldest beings on the planet, and a young half succubus. It was beautiful and precious.

Slowly I opened the door to my apartment. It opened onto the hallway, with its bedroom, bathroom and living room that might as well be a library and partly a bedroom now. The door to the living room was closed, signalling that likely Selena was still asleep. So I paused before moving back and allowing my guest in behind me. I nodded to the living room, then pointed to a door to the right that was slightly ajar.

“I think she's resting. My bedroom is through there, I can make tea.”

Koreena smiled nervously as she glanced from Selena’s room back to me. “I’ll be quiet,” she promise with a whispered tone. She walked in a smile on her lips as her eyes drank in my living quarters. “I’ll go freshen up.” She gave me a soft peck on the cheek before disappearing into my bedroom.

My lips curled into a smile as I watched the gorgeous half succubus swirl away in a flurry of movement, colour and elegance. Then, as she twisted to go inside my bedroom I set my hand quietly on the handle of the living room and pushed it open.

The world of shelves upon shelves of books was shown to me, dimly lit through the veil of early sunrise light, filtered via the vlince blinds. Upon the sofa the black-haired being that was my biological daughter curled beneath a blanket, facing into the back of the seat. Eyes closed she looked the image of an innocent, and it made me smile, despite the reason I had left - to get a break from living with her constantly in a house not made for two. Briefly I looked at her, then I closed the door behind me to head into the small kitchen to make tea.

I made it as quickly and silently as I could, though the kettle boiling on the cast iron stove was hard to keep low in terms of noise. The door to the living room I kept shut as I gathered milk from the cupboard, thankfully still fresh, then mugs and finally the tea itself. Then I made cups of steaming hot beverage, the best of its kind (leaves from Otoke in Akashima, grown in peaty soil) and headed back through, closing doors as I went.

I nudged open the door to my bedroom.

She emerged from the bathroom, her face looked as if she had splashed water on it. She smiled as her eyes went from me to the cup. “Thank you,” she said softly as she closed the distance between us. One hand rested on my chest as she gripped the cup of tea with the other.

Slowly I smiled, raising my now free hand and taking hers from my chest. I pulled her fingers up to my lips to kiss them before turning and heading into the bedroom. It was a simple space, with a double bed pushed against the wall with a window, and a large chest opposite. A single chair sat in the corner, and a small table was by the bed.

“I'll show you the rest in the later morning,” I smiled.