My hands neither shook nor made mistakes as I pulled the dying form of my lover fully from the bloodstained guard. I did not ask questions as to how Selena had ended up with this coffee-coloured skin man, robed in standard uniform armour. Her ways were her own, and since he had brought Kora to me safely in her condition, I saw no reason to hate him.

Cradling Kora’s head in the crook between my shoulder and my collarbone I once more glanced up to my stunned daughter.

“You heard what I said,” I barked, “we have to take her to Morningstar.”

“But he …” she mumbled, long awkwardly as her maid just caught up with us. Rachel or something similar was her name. She was the last to stumble up the stairs to my wide apartment door, from where the portal had materialised - and now closed.

“He is the best healer I know!” I insisted, my eyes livid and burning. “He is the only one who can help her. Now get me there! Now!”

“But why would he do anything for her?” she mumbled, but I saw her hands fumble at the pockets of her dress for where a quartz crystal which would lead to the demi-plane that was his court was. I did not have such an item, I never had. I was, after all, the rogue member of his council and court who refused to give him my oath of fealty, and thus was treated with a varying amount of distrust, uncertainty and curiosity from all there. That, and recently my magic had been exploding more and more powerfully in a sudden myriad of different ways that made me both a threat and an exciting project fit my megalomaniac brother.

I thought about question, and stared back. Morningstar had never had much love for Kora, especially when my other lover was a member of his staff.

“It's fine,” I said, determinedly, “I'll work out something for him. Just get us there ...”

Hectically, she nodded, reaching for me. Her hand touched my shoulder, the bedraggled guard and Rachel-not-Rachel touched hers. Selena’s other hand held onto the quartz as it began to glow, and she poured her will into it. Our world’s doors flew wide open, just like those to my apartment, but in all honesty I didn't care if there were any thieves today, just so long as-

We landed, in a flurry of limbs and mess, right in the centre of his courtroom. There he was, all chocolate hair and glowing eyes, lounging splendidly in his temporary dull throne (because I destroyed his other one). One courtier prostrated before him, but he was immediately forgotten as our party exploded into life in his world. Gasps and shocked voices arose.

Quickly he stood, eyes connecting right to the centre of the chaos. Me, half kneeling there and cradling a suffering Kora in my arms.

Selena stepped forwards. “We - I can explain. I received a letter and-”

“She's dying,” I interrupted her. My eyes focused right on those of my brother, as my breathing caught up with my racing heart. “I need your help.”

He didn't move, only blinked as he took us in. His lips pursed, his head tipped to the side. There was a second as an aide took a step forward, across the marble floor. “My lord-”

Morningstar shot up a hand, cutting him off. “You'll owe me a favour,” he murmured softly, “a substantial one.”

“Yes, I know and we'll discuss that,” I kept staring, still kneeling. I was prepared to give him anything - minus my entire freedom or fealty. “But can you help?”

He was quiet for a moment, then his lips flickered up into a smile. He shrugged as he began to walk towards us.

He spoke: “Yes.”