“The diagnosis is clear, Shinsou. I can't lie to you. I have deep concerns about this and I think they need addressing. ”

The chief medical officer of the Brotherhood, a well respected and liked man called Voss, had been with the Telgradian now for almost half an hour. Outside of the office window, the intermittent sound of soldier's chatter rang in Shinsou's ears as he tried to process the information being reported to him. The PTSD diagnosis on Felicity Rhyolite hardly came as a shock, but the fact that there was now an official medical opinion, and that someone outside of Shinsou's inner circle knew about it, was unsettling.

“Okay," Shinsou sighed, his arms folded as he stared out of the window. “I'm not a doctor, so you're going to have to walk me through this. In your opinion, what options do we have, medically speaking?”

“The main treatments for post-traumatic stress disorder are psychological therapies and medication. Traumatic events can be very difficult to come to terms with, but Felicity confronting her feelings and getting professional help from us is likely to be the only way of effectively treating the PTSD.” Voss took a long look at the report in his hand, thumbing through the pages with care.

“Not got a lot to work with here, have we?” Shinsou shrugged.

“I'll level with you. Putting her in command of the 95th and sending her out there is just about the worst thing for her,” Voss paused, rubbing her neck with the back of her hand, "But I appreciate your dilemma. You just made a very public, very bold statement by promoting her. You can't go back now."

Shinsou simply shrugged again. “I have no intention of going back. We need to find a way to manage this.”

“I mean this with respect, but don't be stupid. We're talking about years of therapy,” the doctor replied, “If you can't demote her, you have to bench her. If you bench her, she's no good to herself, you or us.”

“Do you think I don't know that?,” Shinsou’s tone sharpened. For the first time in a while, the Telgradian was faced with an almost unwinnable scenario, and it was starting to anger him. “With everything that's happened with Arius, right now, I need her out there, with me, with the men. But I know we have to look after her too. The two situations aren't compatible.”

“I can't believe I'm saying this, but there may be one other thing we can do,” Voss replied diffidently, a small frown playing about his lips as he examined Shinsou's glare. “...but it's a long shot, and ethically questionable on just about every level. I've always shot straight with you, Shinsou, but I'm not unsympathetic. That's why this would have to stay between us and we would absolutely need to get her permission.”

“What? Out with it, then.” Shinsou remarked.

“A few years ago, I was travelling with a woman from Akashima. She was practicing alternative medicine on veteran survivors from Pode's campaign in Raiaera.” Voss said, seeming lost in thought once more, a gaze lingering upon the farthest wall. "PTSD and shellshock were commonplace then, such were the horrors that Xem'zund inflicted on the world. We both saw some real evil out there. She helped to ease the burden on those closest to the action by altering their state of minds using elven magic. We're not talking about erasing anything here, but perhaps clouding the mind; a cotton guard against the trauma. But not a fix."

“So she would retain her memories?" The Telgradian murmured in reply, “What kind of effect would this have on her, and for how long?”

“Ever walked into a room and forgotten the reason why? Same thing. Only that she won't have the inclination to walk into the room, because it won't occur to her to do so. Time is a bit of a grey area, in my experience it could last anywhere between four weeks and three years.”

“…Did any of the Raiaeran veterans show any adverse side effects?” Shinsou asked.

“A small number failed, yes. Usually the weakest willed. But nothing comes with guarantees. You know this.”

“We can’t afford to fuck this up,” Shinsou kept his eyes focused on Voss now, “You have my permission as long as you get hers. You can fill me in later on the travel arrangements and details if she agrees. I'll be coming with you. Oh, and not a word breathed of this or the PTSD diagnosis to anyone outside this room. That's an order.”

“This suggestion will only be a temporary fix, Shinsou, you must understand,” Again Voss frowned, his tone more authoritative than before. “She'll still need the therapy and the medication to tackle the PTSD properly. This is just to get us through this situation, while Arius is out there and whilst everyone still gets used to the idea of her being a general.”

"Very well. Thank you, Voss." A knowing look exchanged, Shinsou sat back down in his chair as the good doctor left to attend to his work. As Voss returned to the relative normality of the medical world, the Telgradian agonised over whether or not he was doing the right thing, and hoped that whoever it was that governed the divine mechanics of his life was looking out for him this time.